Body fat % scale/weight scale

Options
Does anybody have or used a scale that has the body fat % on it? Are they accurate? I want something that I can calculate my body fat % too as well as my weight. Thanks!

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    This is something I'd like to know as well.
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • watters87
    watters87 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm also intrigued.
  • MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a Weight Watchers Scale. It shows Body fat pounds, body fat percent, body water, bone mass and weight. I love it.

I take a picture of the scale every week and compare it from the previous weeks. It's interesting to see the changes. I've found it to be fairly accurate to my doctors office scale.

ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_4[img][/img]
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have a scale now that I've had for about a year but it only does lbs. I want one that does lbs and also tells me what my body fat is as well because I have NO clue and I want that to start going down as well!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have a Weight Watchers Scale. It shows Body fat pounds, body fat percent, body water, bone mass and weight. I love it.

I take a picture of the scale every week and compare it from the previous weeks. It's interesting to see the changes. I've found it to be fairly accurate to my doctors office scale.

I have this scale, and an I am not sure the body fat % is that accurate.....
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    But I do love the scale as it s great to do weekly comparisons.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For home use just get a scale, you know, that does weight, instead of paying 3x as much for the body fat % calculator, storing multiple users info etc.
    The body fat % can be thrown off just by having a bit more to drink water wise from one weigh in to the next.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    YES! I have one at home, and it is very accurate!

Things to remember:

never get on the scale for a body fat reading after a workout, or a shower, as it warps the results. (temperature affects how the reading is done). It tells you in the instructions.

I get my reading once a month, the same day every month in the AM after I get up and brush my teeth. :)

Mine isn't expensive, but i can't remember the brand!!! I'll check tonight and post the brand I purchased.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Here is an alternative way to estimate your body fat:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I use www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/ to calculate my BF%
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've heard mixed things. Mine seems to be very inaccurate (says I have 33% BF when I know I have 22%) and I use it correctly. I have an Omron brand.
  • MissKTMc
    MissKTMc Posts: 49
    Options
    Hey!! I'm an exercise science researcher and body composition happens to be my area of expertise! These scales employ the technique of bioelectrical impendence and are not accurate, they drastically underestimate your true body fat %. However, the difference that they show if you lose or gain is relative! So if it says you have gone from 25% to 20% body fat, in reality you have probably gone from 40% to 35% body fat but you have still lost 5% body fat!!

The only truly accurate measure of body fat % is the DXA scan. You can try and get one of these through your primary care physician as it is this scan which is used to diagnose osteoporosis. Try and sweet talk the doc into referring you for one and try and get them every six months. You will not lose body fat mass much quicker anyway!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    They're OK, I track body fat on my scale as well as weight to gauge progress.
    Losing fat is simple but hard. You can also check body fat here for free:
    The key is what will produce consistent results.
    Good luck - ALL IS POSSIBLE :drinker:
  • MissKTMc
    MissKTMc Posts: 49
    Options
    I've heard mixed things. Mine seems to be very inaccurate (says I have 33% BF when I know I have 22%) and I use it correctly. I have an Omron brand.

Would be interested to know what measure you used to find the figure of 22%...
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Any estimate of body fat % on a living organism is an estimate. As in many areas, some estimates of body fat percentage are better than others. Body fat estimates from scales as well as hand-held machines are not particularly good, because they are influenced by factors such as hydration. Better estimates of body fat percentage can be performed periodically in labs--my local hospital will perform them for around $40. Since body fat levels change relatively slowly, you might be better off getting your body fat estimated once or twice a year by a more accurate method, than using a scale.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Aria scale that has weight/body fat %. It is WAY off (more than 10%) and I wouldn't recommend it, too expensive for it to be so inaccurate.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Any estimate of body fat % on a living organism is an estimate. As in many areas, some estimates of body fat percentage are better than others. Body fat estimates from scales as well as hand-held machines are not particularly good, because they are influenced by factors such as hydration. Better estimates of body fat percentage can be performed periodically in labs--my local hospital will perform them for around $40. Since body fat levels change relatively slowly, you might be better off getting your body fat estimated once or twice a year by a more accurate method, than using a scale.
    Why spend the money?
    Just track it daily and you get a picture of the trend like daily weigh ins.
    It's not rocket science.
    I just keep everything simple. Works well, and I get to keep that $40 :drinker:
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have the scale and have been going on that. Then last week I went to the gym and they were doing free testing so I had my BMI and a bunch of other stuff done The scale was off quite a bit. The scale said that I am 39 and at the gym it said 33. I would see if there is a way you can have it testing some where and see how close it is for you.
  • MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Here is an alternative way to estimate your body fat:

Very informative site. Thank you!