What Do You Do?

Options
Helawat
Helawat Posts: 605 Member
This is out of curiosity but I'm really curious!

MFP members represent a spectrum of interesting careers and education paths. Some are full time mothers whereas others are computer engineers. What do you do now and were did you go to college (if you went)?

I went to UNLV and graduated with a B.A. in English and a minor in secondary education. I'm licensed to teach high school English in Nevada and Maryland but currently in between jobs as I'm looking for technical writing jobs in the DC metro area. If I can't find anything, I'll teach high school as my last ditch effort.

So....what do you do? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    This is out of curiosity but I'm really curious!

MFP members represent a spectrum of interesting careers and education paths. Some are full time mothers whereas others are computer engineers. What do you do now and were did you go to college (if you went)?

I went to UNLV and graduated with a B.A. in English and a minor in secondary education. I'm licensed to teach high school English in Nevada and Maryland but currently in between jobs as I'm looking for technical writing jobs in the DC metro area. If I can't find anything, I'll teach high school as my last ditch effort.

So....what do you do? :flowerforyou:
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    God I miss MD!!! Currently have gone back to teaching/riding horses which is my first love. Once my two kids are in school full-time I want to get into personal training for pre/post natal.
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a math computer science degree, I worked in software support and taught K to 5th grade computer classes. I haven't worked since 2000 when we moved over seas, now a stay at home Mom (back in the US) to teenagers girls.
  • dgweisblatt
    dgweisblatt Posts: 52
    Options
    I have BA and MS degrees in Computer Science from the States. I've lived for the last 12.5 years overseas, where I work as a technical writer.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm a licensed A/P Mechanic ( Airframe/Powerplant, airplanes basically) and went to college in Broomfield, CO at Westwood College. I fly on the side but thats more of a sport right now.:love: I'm saving up to move from Ontario, California to L.A. to make it big as a Calvin Klien underwear model.:laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • sarahbearbear
    Options
    Full time student at USC (Southern California, not South Carolina) sophomore majoring in Environmental Studies (& I work part time at university bookstore human resources on campus); also, full-time football game-goer each fall :wink:
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Army Infantry, Security officer/manager, Police officer, BS in Criminal Justice.

I currently work doing High Threat Protection over seas. Pretty dangerous but it pays as well as i can get in this line of work.

Short term goal is to get a security certification maybe an MBA and learn just enough IT security to get the top 1 or 2 security job at a fortune 500 company. Pays much better than civil service and far less Bull S to deal with too.

Tim
  • Rhythrin
    Rhythrin Posts: 19
    Options
    i'm a full time student at the university of London (UK), just finishing my second of three years studying philosophy and theology, but i'm currently applying to St. Georges medical school, also in London, to do a MD after this degree

x
  • Caddieseamus
    Options
    BSN in nursing from Youngstown State Univ, Ohio. MS in Maternal Child Nursing (nurse Practitioner) from University of Iliinois at Chicago.

I start a new job today as Director of clinical services for a non-profit in DC. Whew....

Good post.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Pretty Fascinating you guys!! :drinker:

I'm a full time mom:heart: who works part time as an accountant for a non-profit. I double majored, BA in Communications/BS in Finance/Accounting....I dream of going back to school for my MBA in Education or even Human Services so I can work w/ children w/ special needs (Autism) or set up my own non profit organization for them......right now I'm pretty hands full so we shall see LOL...:wink:

hugs!
    Ali
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    My current (and probably LAST) career is that of a paralegal. Our firm deals mainly with Workers' Comp, SSD, and personal injury claims, but also handles employment issues.

Prior to this career, I was a real estate agent for a couple years, an at-home mom, in-home day care provider, retail clerk, and Occupational Therapy Assistant (with an Associates degree). At the age of 40, I had to find a way to take care of my 2 teenaged kids on my own, so I went back to college and earned another Associates degree, this time in paralegal studies.
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom to 2-4 kids depending on the day lol (I have 3 step children, one who lives with us) And I also have a home daycare where I currently have 2 daycare kids. So when I have them all my house is nuts with a 14,13,10,almost 7 (these are mine) a 6, and a 3 yr old. Can't say Im never busy anyway lol.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I have a degree from Eastern in Early Childhood ed. I am currently a Nursing Student at a private School in East Hartford and I LOVE it even though it is hard!

I am a FT mom to 2 wonderful boys Jordan (almost 10) and Jonah who is 6!

zen
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a gap year working in a large agri-buisness company and then I'm going to study dentistry in the UK
  • teshlovely
    teshlovely Posts: 9
    Options
    Well I just got my BS in Biology at the University of Texas @ Arlington and Im currently trying to look for a research job so that I can pursue a Phd later on (need research experience for Baylor college of Medicine). My interest is in cancer research particularly in drug targeted therapy. I sound like a nerd :embarassed: . This was a good ideal.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Bachelors in Business and Spanish with a minor in International Studies. From university of wisconsin green bay (go PACK!
    Masters in curriculum and instruction concordia university wisconsin,

Currently teach spanish to middle school and college, moving to Miami this summer and hopefully starting my PhD in Spanish so I can teach college full time.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am a Research Coordinator at the University Health Science Ctr in TX and a part time Avon Lady. I have a BS in Community Health from UTSA. But my most important job is that I am a Mom to a 23 yr old daughter and a 14 yr old son who has autism. And I will soon be a Grandma to a baby girl in July!!!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I'm a social worker. Went to school in Boston for my Master's. I got my BA in psych down in Jersey.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    PhD candidate (and teaching assistant. . . ah the glamorous life) in musicology.

(I taught contract faculty for several years, and I'm after the elusive "tenure track position". . .)

Also a singer.:flowerforyou:
  • sapphyre0702
    Options
    Everyone has such cool backgrounds.

I double majored in English/International affairs and got my BA from a school in Boston, I am jsut finishing my first year of law school.