Donating blood and working out

Options
I am planning to donate blood tomorrow. Any opinions on how this will affect my workouts for the couple days thereafter. I plan on getting in my run (4.5 miles) before donating blood and was possibly going to work just lower body the following day. I am in the midst of half marathon training (September 9).

Replies

• stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I work out the next day after donating blood without any issues.
  • maxwelca
    maxwelca Posts: 1
    Options
    I find that I am very winded for two to three days after a blood donation. But it's more something that has happened with age, and as I've lost weight.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I am planning to donate blood tomorrow. Any opinions on how this will affect my workouts for the couple days thereafter. I plan on getting in my run (4.5 miles) before donating blood and was possibly going to work just lower body the following day. I am in the midst of half marathon training (September 9).

You aren't supposed to do any exercise for at least 24 hours.

The problem that can occur is one you don't want! It can get the blood pumping so fast and hard that it tears the opening (they use a large needle for blood donation) in the vein while the opening through the skin is already healed well enough that the bleeding stays in the arm. This can be dangerous.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Good question! I'm donating blood Friday evening at a blood drive at work and running a 5k on Saturday morning.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    re donating blood; Good for you!! Here's a link with the information that you are seeking:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/509588-donating-blood-and-working-out/
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I frequently workout the same day I give blood, never had any problems
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    PS. My nephew took off his pressure wrap and was helping someone move soon after donation (both no-no's), and his arm opened back up too-he squirted blood all over. It was disgusting.

Just use common sense. ;)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Cardio before donating shouldn't be a problem, just give your body time to recover first; I tried to give blood a couple of months back after doing weight training and my BP was still up. As for the next day, you shouldn't have any problem either.
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    AS THE PEROSON THAT TAKES THE BLOOD ... ASK YOUR PHLEBOTOMIST IF IT IS OK TO WORK OUT AGAIN AND IF YOU WERE MY PATIENT AND TOLD ME THIS WAS YOUR PLAN THAT WOULD BE FINE AS LONG AS YOU GIVE YOURSELF A FEW HOURS TO EAT AND REST BEFOR YOU GO TO THE GYM. DON'T DONATE AND THEN GO TO THE GYM GET A GOOD FULL MEAL IN YOUR SYSTEM AND ONE THAT IS RICH IN IRON (DARK LEFFY GREENS)

HOPE THIS HELPS GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit tired for a couple of days so I'd give it a miss completely on the donation day, and train lightly for a couple of days afterwards. Ease into it and don't exercise anywhere were you'd injure yourself if you had a lil dizzy spell (like the middle of a kung fu class, like when I had one post donation).
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I donate the day of a hard workout and take a rest day after. It leaves me weak for a day.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    AS THE PEROSON THAT TAKES THE BLOOD ... ASK YOUR PHLEBOTOMIST IF IT IS OK TO WORK OUT AGAIN AND IF YOU WERE MY PATIENT AND TOLD ME THIS WAS YOUR PLAN THAT WOULD BE FINE AS LONG AS YOU GIVE YOURSELF A FEW HOURS TO EAT AND REST BEFOR YOU GO TO THE GYM. DON'T DONATE AND THEN GO TO THE GYM GET A GOOD FULL MEAL IN YOUR SYSTEM AND ONE THAT IS RICH IN IRON (DARK LEFFY GREENS)

I actually did call the blood bank to ask them as I am in the midst of half marathon training. They basically said running okay but no weight lifting for 24 hours. Just wanted to get others experiences/opinions. I definitely don't plan on working out afterwards. I think I should be okay to do the lower body work the next day.. Thanks!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Good question! I'm donating blood Friday evening at a blood drive at work and running a 5k on Saturday morning.

I did call the blood blank and they told me running should not be a problem, just be sure you are well hydrated before donating blood, after, etc.... Good luck on your race!
  • VCWildberger
    Options

I actually did call the blood bank to ask them as I am in the midst of half marathon training. They basically said running okay but no weight lifting for 24 hours. Just wanted to get others experiences/opinions. I definitely don't plan on working out afterwards. I think I should be okay to do the lower body work the next day.. Thanks!

YOU WILL BE FINE JUST LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't work out the same day but never incurred a problem working out the day after. I've always made to to hydrate well that evening and never had a problem rolling out of bed to go run the next morning. If you do plan to work out the day you give blood make sure you are well hydrated and fed and take it easy - low impact or otherwise non strenuous workout.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Have never had any problems the day after donating. But yes, be sure to do your exercise before your appointment on the day you plan to donate.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    They usually advise 24 hours. If you're just walking or jogging the next day, there shouldn't be an issue. My husband does heavy lifting when he works out, so he makes sure to give himself a full 24 hours.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I did call the blood blank and they told me running should not be a problem, just be sure you are well hydrated before donating blood, after, etc.... Good luck on your race!

Thank you! :)

By the way, that puppy is freaking ADORABLE!!!
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work at a Blood Bank and I'm an O Neg, frequent donor. The recommendation after donation is to keep the site clean and dry for 4 hours, no heavy lifting or "vigorous" exercise for 24 hours. We also recommend plenty of fluids and to eat "heartily" at your next meal.

I have done exercise an/or running in less than 24 hours having done a regular (whole blood) donation. Just take it a bit easier than you might normally do. If you donate platelets, your blood volume isn't as low and you are less likely to have a negative reaction with exercise. If you donate double red cells (2 X a regular donation), I'd recommend at least a day or two to get your red cell counts on the way back up before going out to run a distance. Red Cells carry oxygen to your body, having less and taxing them may make you become fatigued and/or possibly dizzy. Thank you to all of you who donate blood! You are saving lives!
  • gooteek
    gooteek Posts: 64
    Options
    Each person is different. Having worked Blood Bank as a Lab Tech and worked with ARC taking blood from donors, it is really more of an individual look at your iron in my opinion. You are tested for Iron levels and cannot donate unless you meet minimal levels. I have noted those that donate with close to the minimum are typically the people that have fainting issues.

If you have a good Iron count when you give blood, you are likely to bounce back quickier.

Also, it is a question of hydration. Those who donate and then go out and drink the same night realize a quickier buzz due to donating. We advise drinking plenty of fluids (that is why they usually serve OJ to donators). You have reduced blood volume in the body and it can take from 24-72 hours to return to normal (depending on the person).

Keep in mind the bone marrow produces new blood cells, so any bone related health conditions may affect your ability to bounce back as quickly.

As always, hydrate, end plenty of iron rich foods, and exercise lightly if in doubt. It is not worth suffering trauma by doing an intense workout if your body is telling you to ease up.