Stop Weighing on the scale.

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
I follow this group on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/GirlsGoneStrong

A couple of days ago they asked how often you weigh and how it affects your mood. I realized that I was a little obsessive, so I decided to stop weighing for July. Then this article came out today and basically issued a challenge that I was already doing. So who's with me??

http://www.niashanks.com/2012/07/stop-weighing-on-the-scale-for-weight-loss/

Replies

• TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    I am with you! I actually did not weigh today so its a good start
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I am with you! It's one of my goals this month!

My trainer noticed how my mood would plummet if I even had a slight gain (I'm talking like .2) and she suggested I don't weigh as often. My husband hid my scale. It makes me feel so much better to not judge myself based on that number.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'll do it with you
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If weighing frequently is a problem for you, this may be a good idea.

Personally I like weighing every day because I like numbers, and I find it interesting to see how my weight fluctuates in response to different factors. But I don't have a scale anymore so now I never weigh myself. I'm fine either way. It's never affected my mood.
  • sensationallysassyt
    Options
    I need to take this advice and hide my scale or at least weigh in every two weeks or so~
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya... but really only in a 1/2 a$$ed sort of way *LOL*
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Personally I like weighing every day because I like numbers, and I find it interesting to see how my weight fluctuates in response to different factors... It's never affected my mood.

I've always thought I was this way too but the fact that my weight hasn't changed in months has really made me frustrated even though I've gotten stronger and my cardio has improved, etc.
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    I don't have scales at home I just weigh myself at the gym once a week, I think measurements are a better guide for me because I don't want to lose too much weight just want to tone up!! :smile:
  • Bmjnash
    Bmjnash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I did that last month I only weighed myself at the beginning and then right at the end of the month. it was hard at first but now that's all I'm going to weigh myself you see a bigger change at the end if u wait
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm....I'm not supposed to weigh in until the middle of the month although I did and got down just as stated. I've only been lifting for 3 months, but I definitely notice a difference in my clothes and others have noticed too. I'll accept your challenge and no weigh in until August 1st. :) I do like her suggestion and Joe's about the tape measure.
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So I posted this last week but here it is again: By the way I am no longe in possesion of my scale :ohwell:

Crazy but that is the way I am: I have been pondering this the last few days....I have an addiction...So here it goes...Hi my name is Kim, and I am addicted to my scale. (This is where you all say, HI, KIM!) I get on it in the morning, and before bed, and if it catches my attention as I pass by. It frustrates me, it makes me cry, I think it lies... anyway I had my husband hide it from me back in February that lasted about a day..You would of thought it was crack and I couldn't live without it. Anyway in order for him to tolerate me and be able to live with me he gave it back...so the saga continued... so here is what I have decided... I am doing my weigh-in on Monday my official weigh in day..I am then giving my scale to my friend at work who is going to take it home with her 40 miles away...she has agreed to keep it and not return it for a month. I can and will survive this... Wish me luck!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with that idea!

I recently decided to only weigh in once a month, and in that time I've found myself happier with the progress I have made and less concerned with a number on the scale.
    I noticed all the little things more, how clothes fit, the holes in the weightlifting belt, how I looked in the mirror. These changes mean so much more to me than the number on the scale.

I will still weigh in regularly (once a month) so that I know where I am, but stopping weighing in weekly has completely changed my outlook on it.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    So I posted this last week but here it is again: By the way I am no longe in possesion of my scale :ohwell:

Crazy but that is the way I am: I have been pondering this the last few days....I have an addiction...So here it goes...Hi my name is Kim, and I am addicted to my scale. (This is where you all say, HI, KIM!) I get on it in the morning, and before bed, and if it catches my attention as I pass by. It frustrates me, it makes me cry, I think it lies... anyway I had my husband hide it from me back in February that lasted about a day..You would of thought it was crack and I couldn't live without it. Anyway in order for him to tolerate me and be able to live with me he gave it back...so the saga continued... so here is what I have decided... I am doing my weigh-in on Monday my official weigh in day..I am then giving my scale to my friend at work who is going to take it home with her 40 miles away...she has agreed to keep it and not return it for a month. I can and will survive this... Wish me luck!!

HI KIM!
  • LMEighmy
    LMEighmy Posts: 6
    Options
    I've found that I do better if I go by how I look, or how my clothing fits (i.e.: how many holes in I can comfortably go in on my belt), because I can weigh myself, but it won't show any difference even though I've lost inches.

So yeah, no more weekly weigh-ins for me. It's either every other week or once a month. :)
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am in!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself before and after BMs. You know, FOR SCIENCE!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

HI KIM!
    Way to funny Hi Rae!!
  • FlamingJune67
    FlamingJune67 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I took a whole year off once. (sept '10 - Nov '11) It really was good for me because I learned to cue into what my body was telling me and not rely on an outside source. When I felt myself gaining, I cut back. At the end of the year I weighed exactly the same. Since then I find that my relationship with the scale is changed. Now, when I step in one, it is only to confirm what my body has already told me.
    (I should add that before sept '10 I would weigh myself 2-4 times a day. I really was obsessive. Now, with MFP I only weigh myself when I sense a change.)
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I wish I could removed my ticker from my profile!