Sweet tooth replacments?

Options
Hiya,

So, I love all the healthy stuff, although my body probably doesn't reflect that right now.... However, I do have a ridiculously sweet tooth and I used to have a chocolate bar each day with my lunch. I'm trying to break that habit, not just because it's better for me, but I really don't NEED to have chocolate everyday, the only problem is, my body still thinks I do! Just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions as some sort of replacement to satisfy my cravings as I don't want to give in, but I don't want to hold out for so long that I eventually cave and have a good old chocolate binge!! I'm not a fan of dark chocolate either unfortunately!

Thanks!!

Replies

• mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    When my chocolate sweet tooth acts up I just eat about 2-3 regular M&M's. I read an article once in a health magazine that stated the initial first two bites are the best to our taste buds anyway. So I try to eat only a few. This usually satisfies the craving if you let them melt in your mouth. :happy:
  • Jodi_83
    Jodi_83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    *Bump

This is me too - I am addicted to a chocolate bar after my lunch - or an hour later :(
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    How about you get some chocolate protein powder? I use the dymatize elite isolate powder and I'm literally not kidding you it is DELICIOUS. I do a scoop in a 1/4 cup of milk and it literally tastes like a chocolate milkshake. I don't typically like protein powders but I'm totally hooked on this stuff.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you go that route - make sure that you mix it up really well - I throw mine in the blender or shake it up really well in a nalgene bottle.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I love my sweets so I can relate! I allow myself a treat everyday! I keep it to under 150 calories and always make sure I don't go over my calorie goal -

Skinny cow products have a lot of options - I love their caramel truffle bar only 100 calories
    pudding
    jello
    chocolate but in small amounts....it's all about moderation. Instead of a entire candy bar by the 'fun-size' ones
    hershey kisses - 5 is only 90 calories

Of course there's always fruits and yogurt..they're sweet too:)
  • cberridge1987
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately, the protein powder is a little pricier than I had anticipated, and I'm trying to find a sustainable idea, so I don't start scoffing on tonnes of chocolate again once I'm at my GW. I might buy some though and keep it as an emergency "OMG I'm going to murder someone if I don't get some chocolate soon" type thing
  • danimal5867
    danimal5867 Posts: 390
    Options
    I never deprive myself of chocolate. My solution is varied. Muscle milk light chocolate shakes are just 100 cals. with 10g of protein. I also keep a variety of Balance Bar and Zone Perfect products in the cupboard. Most of these are chocolate dipped but are full of quality nutrition.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares. Let each bite melt in your mouth. Don't be eating it while doing something else. Just sit there an enjoy it. I think each square has like 50 cals.

I think the important part is to really stop and enjoy what you are eating. If you are really paying attention, a small amount of chocolate will probably satisfy your craving. Allowing yourself to have small portions of what you crave will help prevent binging. It is also a good skill to learn since that is what maintenance is all about, not overeating but eating just enough.
  • jjohn119
    jjohn119 Posts: 1
    Options
    When going through the ice cream sweets aisle pay attention to calories.... I found a few different varities that are under 150 calories per bar and satifies the ice cream and chocolate cravings.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow are heavenly! I want to bow before the creator of those delicious treat and worship them like the demi-god that they must be.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Also, a tiny bit of good dark chocolate helps me with chocolate cravings at work.
  • SalsaSuzQ
    SalsaSuzQ Posts: 15
    Options
    I like the Silk Pure Almond Dark Chocolate milk. It tastes like dessert in liquid form. 1 cup is 120 calories according to the label and 3 grams of fat, which is about half the calories of a candy bar and 10 less grams of fat.
  • kikiriedle
    kikiriedle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I suggest trying to wean yourself off of it because chocolate has caffiene in it you can have withdrawls and get headaches and what knot... I also don't like depriving myself of anything because it will lead to a binge. You could try having smaller amounts each week decreasing the amount and you might find that you no longer crave it or that just one small piece is enough. hope this helps
  • lreyenga
    lreyenga Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm taking advantage of summer and satisfying my sweet tooth with fresh fruit. They say it takes a couple of weeks to break a habit. I can say 3 to 4 weeks in, it is actually starting to work. I can look the vending machine in the eye at work and not feel a desperate craving.

I don't want to cut sweets out of my diet completely, but I want to be able to feel like I choose when to have them, and not to feel like I'm going to binge on them when I do indulge.

FWIW - I read the Mayo Clinic's book on healthy dieting for a sustained life change. They suggest cutting sugar not found in naturally in food from your diet for 2 weeks, then adding it back in as it fits in your total calorie goals. Seems to be working for me.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Have 1/4 of your chocolate bar each day instead of the entire bar.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    diet hot chocolate--25-60 calories/envelope (depending on what you get). i mix it w/ water; you can mix it w/ milk, whatever you want. i know it sounds gross, but it is a comfort food for me.