How much Sugar and Protein

Options
Hey guys,

I have heard that the MFP guidlines for some nutrients are insufficient. What should my protein and sugar intake be for a 30 year old woman who is 5'5 and 155lbs but wants to be 125lbs?

I work out 4-5x a week, I am currently aiming to eating 1320 cals but usually go up to 1400.

I always meet my protein intake but always go over my sugar, due to all the fruit I eat.

Replies

• SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    lol bump please!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Bumping!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the MFP guidlines for some nutrients are insufficient. What should my protein and sugar intake be for a 30 year old woman who is 5'5 and 155lbs but wants to be 125lbs?

I work out 4-5x a week, I am currently aiming to eating 1320 cals but usually go up to 1400.

I always meet my protein intake but always go over my sugar, due to all the fruit I eat.
    75g of protein should be adequate, that's 300 calories, up to 100g / 400 calories perhaps. I don't see much point in specifically tracking sugar as it's just another carbohydrate, if you were concerned about sugar you would be eating less fruit.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I really liked that link, thank you!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Me too! Thanks for the link!
  • iva001
    Options

75g of protein should be adequate, that's 300 calories, up to 100g / 400 calories perhaps. I don't see much point in specifically tracking sugar as it's just another carbohydrate, if you were concerned about sugar you would be eating less fruit.

I am concerned about the sugar, but I hear that fruit sugar doesn't count towards it, that it is only for added processed sugar, etc. I hear so many conflicting rules, that I'm not sure what to do, and I don't want to cut out healthy food if I don't have to. Thanks for the info.
  • iva001
    Options

Thanks much Determined.
  • mrsmoma
    mrsmoma Posts: 9
    Options
    If you are worried about sugar (and fruit sugar does count especially if you are pre-diabetic or have a strong family history of diabetes), fruit is half fructose and half glucose, limit your fruits to two servings a day. Naturally, another source of sugar would be starching veggies like squash, zuc, corn, etc. There is not enough fiber in those veggies to totally offset the amount of sugar. Avoid white potatoes at all costs if you are concerned about sugar. Beans, while high in starch, are very high in fiber so the fiber slows down the absorption of sugar - beans are good!