healthy mac'n'cheese?

Options
2»

Replies

• dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much you want to make but my guys (who hate eating healthy) love this dish. I don't always make it like it says in the recipe - sometimes I just use the measurements for the mac & cheese portion of it (worcsteshire sauce, etc.) to make other lighter varieties of Mac & Cheese taste good. Just as a warning if this is just for you and your daughter you may want to cut the recipe in half. This makes a huge portion - the three of us usually eat it for 3 nights (and my Hubby and son don't follow the portion sizes:smile:)

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Makeover-Sloppy-Joe-Mac-and-Cheese
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    I have a friend that makes the most awesome mac n' cheese I've ever had ... he adds cubed steamed butternut squash and cooked kale. I've swapped out regular pasta for whole wheat pasta and fiber added pasta. I've also added cooked ground turkey for a bit of protein since the flavor doesn't compete with the cheese, veggies and pasta.
  • ytfelmi
    ytfelmi Posts: 47
    Options
    Do you two like any white cheeses? I make a decently lighter version for my daughter and I.. it took me forever to figure out how to make a proper rue, but once I did - my daughter asks for "white shells" all the time! Haha

I'm not sure what brand of pasta I use, but usually something whole grain.. macaroni noodles, rotini, or shells work great!

For the sauce, I start with a roux:
    Melt 2 Tbsp Butter (don't overcook at this point)
    Whisk in 2 Tbsp Flour
    Once it's a nice thick consistency (looks like a paste, and try not to let it get too dark - The darker the roux gets, the more nutty the flavor and the less thickening power),
    add 1 cup Milk
    (most recipes use 2% or half and half, but I always drink 1%, and haven't noticed a difference. A little thinner maybe..)

* My best advice is to heat the milk first! It can get lumpy quick if the milk is too cold. Doesn't need to be boiling or anything, I just throw it in the microwave for MAYBE 45sec.

Stir the mixture until it starts to boil, and take it off the heat.
    While it's still hot - add laughing cow cheese! Depending on how much flavor I want, I use 1-2 wedges. You can totally get away with only one. I usually use the swiss when making a macaroni fake-out.. but I've used garlic herb before with different spices, and it was a winner in our house as well.

Add some spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, a little pepper?), and then toss the pasta in.

You can always adjust how much milk you add. Depends on how much pasta you cook up with it.

Play around with it!

If you figure 200cal for the butter, 80 for the milk, 35 for the laughing cow.. the sauce is only 315 for a whole cup! 1/4 cup sauce would be under 80calories.. The pasta mightl get you, but if you portion it out - 2 oz is usually around 200cal, so you can have a bowl of mac n cheese for under 300!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    This recipe is the basis for my mac & cheese. http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/macaroni-cheese?slideshow=184668

However, I omit the butter, jalapenos and prosciutto/ham. I use skim milk. Instead of 1/2 onion, I use 1-2 onions and 1-2 peppers (I like to use 1 green and 1 red). Reduces the calories even further and it is DELICIOUS! Even my 6 year old likes it better than Kraft and he thinks that Kraft is the greatest thing!
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This one is Vegan base and very healthy and yummy. Its form Engien 2 Dite by Rip Esselsty

nhttp://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/2010/10/engine-2s-macaroni-not-cheese/
  • ytfelmi
    ytfelmi Posts: 47
    Options
    Haha, that post took me forever, trying to remember how to make a roux, without being over the stove..

Lots of great recipe replies before I posted!
  • Shamrock_me
    Shamrock_me Posts: 161
    Options
    It's not very healthy but I switch out the regular noodles for the whole grain noodles and switch out the cheeses for the 2% or Fat Free variations. I have a macaroni nut at home so this keeps the peace.

The calories on whole grain noodles varies per brand - but average about 190 for 1/2 cup but usually less than 10 fat calories. Adds in on your protein & fiber as well.
    The Kraft fat free shredded cheeses are 45 calories per oz so it would adjust on how much you use in your mac n cheese
    2% Velveta is an option but it ups your fat.

This is just one of those things I make once every 2-3 weeks (or take to a BBQ)

Sounds good - I need to make some soon!!
  • Brooklynhendricks21
    Brooklynhendricks21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok I fixed it! Here's what I use!

Cheese; Kraft singles American
    1/2 of a slice
    30 cals
    2g fat
    7.5 cholesterol
    100 sodium
    1 carb
    0 fiber
    0.5 sugar
    1.5 protein

Noodles! Ronzoni smart taste elbow noodles;
    1/2 cup

180 cals
    0.5 fat
    0 cholesterol
    5 sodium
    43 carbs
    5 fiber
    1 sugar
    6 protein

Butter- country crock light
    1/2 tbsp

25 cal
    45 sodium
    2.5 fat
    0 carb
    0 protein
    0 cholesterol

Altogether;

235 cal
    5 fat
    7.5 cholesterol
    150 sodium
    44 carbs
    5 fiber
    1.5 sugar
    6.5 protein
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think if you use smaller amounts of cheeses with really great, sharp or strong flavors (an extra sharp cheddar, or aged gruyere) you can get away with using a little less and still have it come out cheesy. I also like adding in other things - lobster, fresh herbs, crisped pancetta, vegetables - which I think let you have less of the super creamy sauce.

You could maybe do the following:
    Start out with a roux (1/4 cup flour - try whole wheat! - and half a stick of butter - or earth balance, or whatever!), where you just melt the two together and cook in a pan until toasty brown. Add to that 1.5 cups warm skim milk, and whisk together until thickened. Take it off the heat, then add about a cup of sharp grated cheddar, and a cup of grated gruyere (a little more gruyere might be nice, depending on how healthy v. cheesy you want it :D) and keep whisking until it's all smooth and thick. I also usually add salt and pepper here! This is a pretty good base, that you could add to 1 lb. pasta (try whole wheat, or even pasta made from quinoa flour!), and would serve 4-6 people.

Like I said I usually dress things up - the last time I made this I threw in peas and a tiny bit of crisped pancetta with some sauteed minced garlic and mushrooms, and topped with panko crumbs mixed up with chives : ) The more of the "fillings" you add - which can be as healthy as you like - the heartier the meal feels without having to fill up purely on pasta and cheese, I think. Then I usually bake mine (love the crisp top!) until bubbly. It's not "health food", but for a slightly lightened up version of the classic that's okay once in a while, it's pretty tasty!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    In response to whomever asked, I used the light creamy swiss wedges from Laughing Cow
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Ok I fixed it! Here's what I use!

Cheese; Kraft singles American
    1/2 of a slice
    30 cals
    2g fat
    7.5 cholesterol
    100 sodium
    1 carb
    0 fiber
    0.5 sugar
    1.5 protein

Noodles! Ronzoni smart taste elbow noodles;
    1/2 cup

180 cals
    0.5 fat
    0 cholesterol
    5 sodium
    43 carbs
    5 fiber
    1 sugar
    6 protein

Butter- country crock light
    1/2 tbsp

25 cal
    45 sodium
    2.5 fat
    0 carb
    0 protein
    0 cholesterol

Yikes. Kraft Singles are not cheese, and Country Crock is not butter.

This recipe does the butternut squash and cauliflower things and is very simple. I don't believe in low fat milk, so I sub 2.5 cups whole milk and a cup of ricotta cheese for the 4 cups low fat milk. I've also dumped some spinach in.

Don't cook the pasta all the way or even al dente, because it will be too mushy after you bake it. Cook it a little less than al dente.

http://kitchenthymes.com/2011/09/healthiest-macaroni-and-cheese/