How Many Calories?

Options
I've started exercising about 2 weeks ago and have slowly worked on fixing what I eat to be healthier foods as well. I'm working towards lose 100. Started at 324, gained 4 the first couple days of beginning to exercise, and am now at 315.5. Exercise seems to average around 650-800 calories being burned and I've been keeping my eating to around 1800 calories (not taking into account the amount burned during workouts). I don't track the calories from the coffee I drink, but everything else I drink is water. I've cut soda to maybe 1 can a week, if that.

Am I doing too few/many calories, or is 1800(ish) OK? The 9pds in two weeks worries me, I was told to aim for 2-3 pds a week. I know loose skin is probably going to be inevitable for my size, but I'm hoping age will be on my side to help a little, and I really don't want to lose weight too quick so my skin is able to keep up and all. I'm wondering if this is normal to lose weight faster in the beginning when you start out so big, if it's water weight, or to just not worry about it? Any input is much appreciated!

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've started exercising about 2 weeks ago and have slowly worked on fixing what I eat to be healthier foods as well. I'm working towards lose 100. Started at 324, gained 4 the first couple days of beginning to exercise, and am now at 315.5. Exercise seems to average around 650-800 calories being burned and I've been keeping my eating to around 1800 calories (not taking into account the amount burned during workouts). I don't track the calories from the coffee I drink, but everything else I drink is water. I've cut soda to maybe 1 can a week, if that.

Am I doing too few/many calories, or is 1800(ish) OK? The 9pds in two weeks worries me, I was told to aim for 2-3 pds a week. I know loose skin is probably going to be inevitable for my size, but I'm hoping age will be on my side to help a little, and I really don't want to lose weight too quick so my skin is able to keep up and all. I'm wondering if this is normal to lose weight faster in the beginning when you start out so big, if it's water weight, or to just not worry about it? Any input is much appreciated!
    At your current size, and weight loss goal, 1800 is fine.
  • mike4him
    mike4him Posts: 16
    Options
    With working out burning that many calories..yes..I feel like you should eat 2,400 calories..but they should be good calories..fresh fruit and veggies..whole grains..non processed calories..when you eat those calories you will feel full all day on that amount and will lose 1- 2 lbs. a week..which is a healthy amount of weight to lose. I would suggest a book that you can buy used from Amazon.com called Body by God..My wife and I have changed our life from the ideas in that book..Congratulations on losing what you lost..Crosstraining is key to working out and also weight training..weight training at least 2-3 times a week will help you to shed lbs. and gain muscle..and burn calories while you rest..it will raise your metabolic rate of burning calories while you sleep/rest.
    Best of success to you!
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    hi there when i start a new healthy eating plan i always loose a lot my first 2 weeks its becuase you have prob lost a lot of water weight and itsthe first week your body has cut down on calories, think about what uy would have eaten in a day to now eating 1800 cals a day. e.g. i use to eat around 3000cals (maybe more) a day now its around 1700 a day =big diffrence.

also at ur size and goal id say 1800 is good its up to you to play with it and see what works for YOU. just do not drop below the 1200 cals a day.

you will probaberly find the more time goes on the more stable ur losses will become (or so i have anyways)

hope this helped
  • mike4him
    mike4him Posts: 16
    Options
    Two other people that I listen to their podcasts and read most of their stuff that are really good are Ben Greenfield..http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/ and the Nutrition Diva...http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/
    I listen to their free podcasts through my android phone using Stitcher. com Free App...they are so good and professional and encouraging..
  • nickollette113
    nickollette113 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hrmm, I'll have to check out those podcasts, I'm hooked on podcasts lately.

Granted i wasn't tracking before, so I don't know for sure, but I don't think I'm eating all that less calories than I was before. But before, I would go the day without eating and binge for a late dinner. So now, I'm eating breakfast, lunch, dinner and usually two snacks. It's not all incredibly healthy foods, but there are more fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean proteins involved now.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I agree that you're probably fine at 1800. Those late dinner binges can add up quick! We used to get Pizza Hut on Fridays and holy cow that stuff has some calories!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I realize this is a bit late, but I also think 1800 is probably fine, but monitor yourself and see how you feel. You should never feel like you're really hungry, and if you do, definitely increase. Also, be sure to get some nutrition in immediately after you exercise - within 20 minutes if possible, and definitely within the first hour of when you stop exercising. You want easily digested carbs and easily metabolized protein, in a ratio of about 2:1 (carbs:protein) on a day you do weights/resistance training, and more like 4:1 on a day you do mostly cardio. (On a day you split resistance and cardio, go for something like 3:1). This is where whey protein really shines, and where protein shakes probably do the most good. You can certainly have 'real' food, instead; but protein shakes (using protein poweder in rice mik, or skim milk, with some fruit like bananas and/or strawberries/blueberries) is a great way to replenish your stores quickly. There are lots of threads here that have various recipes, if this is new to you. Or feel free to drop me a message, and we can discuss more.

Also, losing so much so fast isn't something to be worried about. At your current weight, it will be much easier to lose weight, but that will start to slow down when you get closer to your goal weight. The real trick is, don't get discouraged when you start to slow down on how much you lose per week - it's always hardest to lose the last 20% of the weight you're trying to lose.

Best of luck to you!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I would give it a good 4-6 weeks before changing things. If your loss is still going that fast, then start raising your calories about 150 at a time for a few weeks at least until you get to the correct amount of loss. Many people do lost weight much more quickly at the beginning.