anyone eat chia seeds? If so, talk to me

Options
My aunt was very kind and bought us a 3 pound bag of chia seeds. Last night I put 1/3 cup of the seeds into 2 cups of water to make the chia gel (that I read about on the internet). This morning I added a couple tablespoons of this to my eggs and they tasted fine.

My question is does anyone know how I put this into calories since it is not dry seed. Also I wonder how much of the gel I should have a day. I do know there are 5.3 tablespoons of chia in this gel and is over 2 cups of gel.

I don't want to over do it but I am interested if after a week or so I can tell a difference.

Recently my daughter and I went to naturopathic consultant who has has helped us a lot. We do not have health insurance and my daughters pediatrician's answer to her chronic constipation was her being on miralax for the past 4 years. She has now come off of it and is feeling a lot better.

Chia seeds is just our newest adventure...

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I looked up the brand name of the chia seeds I have and it was already in the mfp database. I don't think the calories change just because you add water to it. I use almond milk to make the gel but know how many tablespoons I use of the milk and add in those calories.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Why is a perfectly normal grain item being treated like some mystical tonic?

Putting it in water to make a gel and drink sounds disgusting.

If you want accurate caloric values and nutrients on chia seeds, use Navitas Naturals Chia seeds (they are in the database), typical serving is 2tbsp. It's like any other grain, cereal etc, caloric value isn't going to vary too much brand to brand.

As for eating them; treat it like FOOD, not a magic potion. Toss it into smoothies, bake it into bread, mix it with oats or toss it into a salad dressing in place of sesame seeds, poppy seeds etc.
  • NoraCiLu
    NoraCiLu Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there! like chris1816 said, the serving is 2 tbsp so you can have it dry or soaked added to your food and the calories are gonna be the same, but if its too much at once you can divide the portion and have in two diferent meals. ;)
  • shaycg21
    shaycg21 Posts: 36
    Options
    Why is a perfectly normal grain item being treated like some mystical tonic?

Putting it in water to make a gel and drink sounds disgusting.

If you want accurate caloric values and nutrients on chia seeds, use Navitas Naturals Chia seeds (they are in the database), typical serving is 2tbsp. It's like any other grain, cereal etc, caloric value isn't going to vary too much brand to brand.

As for eating them; treat it like FOOD, not a magic potion. Toss it into smoothies, bake it into bread, mix it with oats or toss it into a salad dressing in place of sesame seeds, poppy seeds etc.

I didn't say it was a magic potion.... Why did you say this so many times is this post? I am looking for encouragement not someone trying to make me seem like an idiot. I am just eating them. I made up the gel b/c I am not one who has the extra 15 minutes to wait at meal time if I want to add it to my salad dressing, etc.

For those who care I added it to my salad dressing today to replace 1/3 off it. It is true they do carry the flavor and I didn't miss the additional dressing. Yes I like a fat based dressing so this is a good thing for me.
  • zeuslalala
    zeuslalala Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    eat em everyday...or actually drink them in a chia fresca!
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    what are the benefits of chia seeds?
  • Mimigurken
    Mimigurken Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I drink it every day (1TBSP) and I can't tell a difference at all. But I like swishing it around in my glass with some lime juice after a good work out and hear my kids squeal and giggle when I offer it to them.
  • candi_jo
    candi_jo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm trying them for the benefit of added fiber, and I like that they have omega-3's! so far I've put them in oatmeal, where it just has kind of a poppy-seed texture, and mixed some into my drink (gatorade today), which was a little weird. Just having a seedy texture in my drink was odd, but I actually did seem to have that "full" feeling!