Work out hard, Eat out hard

Options
Have you ever had one of those days when you ate everything you wanted and still came in just under your calories for the day? For me this happened today ...

I must admit, it would not have happened if I had not:

1) attended a 90 minute dance lesson
2) walked around town for an hour
3) run 7 miles (which was the farthest I've gone in more than 2 years)
4) and then done more walking just to get around (I don't have a car - live in a city and hate to drive)

Breakfast was light: strawberries, nonfat cafe latte and one chocolate biscotti cookie.

For lunch, I checked out a fantastic new frozen yogurt place, where they use tangy live yogurt and very little sugar. Nothing artificial, and only 20 calories an ounce! I also had one of my favorite PB&J truffles and a one inch square of macadamia nut brittle. Truly trifing, these are so small ... ;-)

Post run, I tried a new non-frozen yogurt. It's called Siggi's Icelandic Style Skyr Yogurt. It puts Fage to shame, it is SO GOOD. That is if you like tart, thick unflavored yogurt.

After burning 880 calories, I had a lot to eat! I was really craving a "Thanksgiving" sandwich with turkey and cranberry sauce, but I happily settled for a cranberry bagel from Einstein's with some low-fat cream cheese.

A couple hours later, I still felt a bit famished, so I treated myself big time. I had more than 700 cal left to eat, so I went for broke: a German Chocolate Fudge Brownie from the cafe that just opened a block from my building. Of course, I don't know how many calories this has, so I estimated by using the Starbuck's Caramel Brownie (570 calories).

Wow, and I still have calories left over ... So I'm finishing the day with a half cup of skim milk, which goes fantastically well with that brownie.

Moral of story: On a day that you work out like crazy, you can eat bagels and brownies and ... yum. But tomorrow I rest, and I take it easy. Good thing I bought more of Siggi's fat-free high-protein yogurt, and my fridge is stocked with vegetables, skim milk and lean beef.

Til next time,
YP

Replies

• yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had one of those days when you ate everything you wanted and still came in just under your calories for the day? For me this happened today ...

I must admit, it would not have happened if I had not:

1) attended a 90 minute dance lesson
    2) walked around town for an hour
    3) run 7 miles (which was the farthest I've gone in more than 2 years)
    4) and then done more walking just to get around (I don't have a car - live in a city and hate to drive)

Breakfast was light: strawberries, nonfat cafe latte and one chocolate biscotti cookie.

For lunch, I checked out a fantastic new frozen yogurt place, where they use tangy live yogurt and very little sugar. Nothing artificial, and only 20 calories an ounce! I also had one of my favorite PB&J truffles and a one inch square of macadamia nut brittle. Truly trifing, these are so small ... ;-)

Post run, I tried a new non-frozen yogurt. It's called Siggi's Icelandic Style Skyr Yogurt. It puts Fage to shame, it is SO GOOD. That is if you like tart, thick unflavored yogurt.

After burning 880 calories, I had a lot to eat! I was really craving a "Thanksgiving" sandwich with turkey and cranberry sauce, but I happily settled for a cranberry bagel from Einstein's with some low-fat cream cheese.

A couple hours later, I still felt a bit famished, so I treated myself big time. I had more than 700 cal left to eat, so I went for broke: a German Chocolate Fudge Brownie from the cafe that just opened a block from my building. Of course, I don't know how many calories this has, so I estimated by using the Starbuck's Caramel Brownie (570 calories).

Wow, and I still have calories left over ... So I'm finishing the day with a half cup of skim milk, which goes fantastically well with that brownie.

Moral of story: On a day that you work out like crazy, you can eat bagels and brownies and ... yum. But tomorrow I rest, and I take it easy. Good thing I bought more of Siggi's fat-free high-protein yogurt, and my fridge is stocked with vegetables, skim milk and lean beef.

Til next time,
    YP
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had a day like that today... ran a little over 5 miles... and 250 situps.. burned 707 calories

but instead of indulging in brownies and such. I had spagehtti and meatballs... but still measured out 4oz cause I didn't want to go nuts.

I will be treating myself to 1/2 all natural chocolate ice cream only 140 calories.. thats my treat.:tongue:

So did you feel crapy eating the brownie?

Take care
    :bigsmile:
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    No, I felt fantastic ... I had my eye on it for a while, but I was waiting for a day when I had "earned" it. :-)

Some of us talk about "cheat" days - I wouldn't even call this a cheat day. Last night was a cheat night though. My boyfriend took me out for sushi after I'd already eaten all my calories for the day. Luckily fish isn't such a bad thing to "cheat" with.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun day!

Keep in mind though- because you have excess calories you need to keep sugar and fat, among other nutrients, in mind.

So truffle, brittle, yogurt, brownie plus whatever else you had that day may have been a lot saturated / trans fat wise.

It's just a thought :heart:
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I'm usually very conscious about trans fat.

In fact, I opted for the brownie because I thought it would have no more trans fat than Nestle hot chocolate. I know the bakery that makes it, and that they specialize in "low fat" pastry, even if this brownie was not in that part of their menu. :-) However, I doubt that they use hydrogenated oils (the source of trans fat) they are not so focused on cutting costs or prolonging shelf life that they would.

And as for the yogurt, every drop of it (both frozen and not) was fat free. And only the frozen yogurt had a tiny bit of sugar. 20 calories an ounce is about as good as it gets in the frozen dessert department!
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    ooooh, I'll have to try Siggi's! I'm addicted to Fage, I don't know what I would do without it.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    it happens to me twice a week. because i love swimming and go to the pool for 2 hours, doing laps for 1h and a aquaerobic class for and other hour for about 900 cal. the class is quite expensive and the swimming is included, so that why i do it all at once.

i have to admit that i dont always eat ll those calories, that would me that i need 2200 cal and that is huge, i usualy end up eating 1800 but i dont do that everyday and it give my body a little shock,

but sometimes i do "stuff" my face :happy:

added calories is a great incentive to work out, its great !!

may