Walking question...

Options
I'm just curious what kind of success people have had doing a "just walking" routine for weight loss. I'm currently doing P90, and am getting bored with the same workout. Someone suggested doing just walking since I enjoy it. I am concerned I won't see results if I did that, in regards to toning. Any walkers out there that care to give me some feedback??? I'm also curious how much & often you walk. I'm currently doing 2 miles a day, 5 times a week. Thanks!

Replies

• emilyds
    emilyds Posts: 88
    Options
    I used to walk all the time, about 1.5 hours a day, and lost about 10 lbs from it (which was my goal). I don't have as much free time now but I still enjoy walking when I can.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 to 7 miles everyday. I've got three large dogs that need exercise.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    it works. and the most important thing is that you enjoy it. :)
  • medicinemantoo
    Options
    along with eating properly, i walk 3 miles per day each morning. i've been losing 2 lbs/week for a couple of months now. i'm down 80+ total. my walk is a fast walk, not a leisure stroll.
  • alana23231
    Options
    I walk about 1 a mile a day then I jog about 1.5 miles (now). Before I was walking about 2 miles a day about 3 times a week. With just walking and drinking more water than anything else, I lost about 10 pounds. I had to incorporate a little jog time in there because my body had gotten used to just walking and I stopped losing.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by staying in a calorie deficit. So while exercise is awesome and has lot's of benefits...bottom line make sure you are eating at a deficit.

I love walking and it does burn calories but it doesn't compare to P90X (which you are currently doing). So while it's beneficial to change up workouts keep in mind you will not be burning as many calories.
  • mspohn1299
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos. I too love to walk outside but these videos are a nice alternative, if the weather is bad or whatever. Very good for toning. My husband even does them with me. We mostly use the "5 mile fat burning Walk" video, doing 1 or 2 miles a day, depending on what we have time for. Good Luck!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I los 45 lbs from Oct to Feb, 4.5 mths just walking and staying on a 1200 cal eating program. I worked up to walking 6 days a week for 50 mins or 3 miles, and often 60 mins. On my off day, the 7th day, I usually ride my bike for 30 mins, but I try to move somehow daily.
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm still extremely overweight, but walking is all I can since I have a bad knee and back. I've lost 70 lbs just walking. I do 15-30 minutes a day on the treadmill at 2.5 mph. I've recently added 2 days/week of water aerobics and I love it. It's super low impact and burns at least 300 calories during a one hour class.
  • thewestwifey
    thewestwifey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I walk on a treadmill (the heat it way too much for me right now) and I walk at a brisk pace 3.8 mph on a #5 incline. I have found the higher the incline, the more your burn and it tones your legs faster that way too! Good Luck! :)
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you're up for doing workouts as hard as P90X, you can always try C25K to get into running, too (not that it's as hard as P90X right off the bat, but it's more of a cardio challenge than just walking).
  • jessjpjb
    jessjpjb Posts: 38
    Options
    I walk all the time whether it be the treadmill I have at home, outdoors or I have been doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the pounds, 5 day plan and love that!!!
  • Cristin129
    Cristin129 Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their input! I appreciate it. Sorry for the confusion, I am doing POWER 90 not P90X. I can honestly say I am feeling sore, so obviously some muscles were worked today while walking. Even feel soreness in my abs & that is obviously where I want to lose the most! :) Yeah! Thanks again...feel free to ad me...would love more fellow walkers for support! ;)