Calories burned from Insanity...Over Estimating

Options

Replies

• biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    That sound way over... when I was doing Insanity I always had high burns.. I'm a little bigger then you, but for max Cardio I'd burn over 900 cals..
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I am copying and pasting a comment from one of my freinds with links to his blog on this subject (hopefully he doesnt mind):

"10 cals per minute is the upper level, but it's a bit more complicated than that. I wrote about it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock/view/i-don-t-think-you-burned-that-much-252676

Read more about heart rate monitors here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock/view/much-ado-about-heart-rate-263994"

He was telling me that 10 cals per minute would be about as much as I could count a reallly strenous workout and I just did the math on yours and it is a little less than 16 cals per minute.

anyway hope this helps

eta quotation marks
  • lovesent
    lovesent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a great heart monitor for me to use? I've never used one before and there seems to be so many out in the market i'm not sure which one is accurate and easy to use:(
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    That seems like too much. I know I am a female, but I did that work-out this morning and according to my HRM I burned 493 calories. I am 29, 5'6", and 150 lbs. I would say maybe at the most 600?

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm doing P90X and the max I burn is 550ish. I just did Plyo which is VERY similar to Insanity and I only burned 559. I'm 28 and 5'2".
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Insanity workouts and am on my second month. Today I did "Max Cardio Conditioning". My heart rate monitor said:

Duration: 48 minutes
    Average HR: 160
    Max HR: 189

Weight: 152

I use an online calculator of which I put my age, weight, duration and average HR. It gave me 745 calories burned.

Anyone know if that's correct? Seems really high.

What is everyone else's average heart rate when they do the insanity workouts?

Does your HRM have a chest strap?

I am a few years older and a few pounds heavier than you (I'm 32/165) and I think the most I've burned is around 370 using a Sportline Duo w/chest strap. I average between 145-155 (around 80% of my MHR) and max at around 174-177 (91-94% of MHR)...
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I used my HRM and my calories burned was a disappointing 249!

It's possible that my body doesn't find Insanity challenging since I've been taking bootcamp classes for months.
  • natemp21
    natemp21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Insanity workouts and am on my second month. Today I did "Max Cardio Conditioning". My heart rate monitor said:

Duration: 48 minutes
    Average HR: 160
    Max HR: 189

Weight: 152

I use an online calculator of which I put my age, weight, duration and average HR. It gave me 745 calories burned.

Anyone know if that's correct? Seems really high.

What is everyone else's average heart rate when they do the insanity workouts?

Does your HRM have a chest strap?

I am a few years older and a few pounds heavier than you (I'm 32/165) and I think the most I've burned is around 370 using a Sportline Duo w/chest strap. I average between 145-155 (around 80% of my MHR) and max at around 174-177 (91-94% of MHR)...

It does have a heart strap. I'm starting to think I purchased a defective monitor or something.
  • MARISKA716
    MARISKA716 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its correct. It's how hard you work I've burned almost 1,000 once and I own an HRM watch.
  • booh123
    booh123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just completed the max cardio conditioning and own a hr monitor w chest strap. I burned 741 cal with a max hr 192 ave hr 152. I am 32 female weigh 153 lbs 5'5. I had a baby 6 mos ago (have a 4 yr old also). I have a high fat % and never worked out prior to this but was small prior to 1st child 5'5 at about 115 lbs. Its a great workout.

I believe the HRM is probably correct.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    That sounds high, the most I've burned is 416 cal during Insanity. It almost doesnt pay to get smaller. However it does seem like a lot of people have burns close to yours. Maybe double check your hrm numbers with an online heart rate based calculator and see how they compare.
  • evansb1053
    evansb1053 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just burned 800+ calories using my heart rate monitor. I am on month 2 and was doing the Cardio Interval workout. I am 37 and weigh 182 lbs. It seems right to me b/c that would be close to the calories burned in a 6 mile run for me at 8 minute pace.
  • leedowningkeat
    Options
    Hi im new to fitness pal and im doing insanity too on round 2 month one. When entering exercise what do you put on for wxercise becuz insanity dont come up and closes sounding workout is circuit bit only gives 348 caloriea any infp be great
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am 30 and 5'6' and when i do Insanity, i have a Polar FT40 and its baiscally 10 cals a minute, so the most i typically burned was around 600 give or take on the 60 minute month two workout. I would think 900 sounds high, but if your calculations are correct i guess it s possible!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It seems correct. Everyone is different and depending on intensity everyone will burn a diff amount of calories. However, I think you’re in the ball park. Having done P90X, Insanity, Asylum and Turbo Fire workouts, the cardio programs can get you HR way up and you can burn alot of calories. Do it a few times and take an average.
  • CraigmileD
    Options
    I would guess it's pretty accurate. I'd also add that it's probably not real helpful to compare your burn to the women posting in this thread. Men and women burn calories at a different rate.
  • Angiechastain
    Options
    Wouldn't you think the hrm would be correct?
  • fowlerma
    Options
    Nope that is actually completely right. If you go to Beachbody's website, they do give as average calories burned and your number is just about right.
  • mlittleplume
    mlittleplume Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You would create your own by entering info from your heart rate monitor
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What HMR do you have ?
    Seem right for your age .

I'm on day 60
    Here are all my number from Max Cardio Conditioning
    I'm
    5'8
    220lbs
    My HR on these work out were about 75-80%

Day 38 570
    Day 43 627
    Day 47 637 Cardio Abs 172
    Day 52 608
    Day 58 598
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I used my HRM and my calories burned was a disappointing 249!

It's possible that my body doesn't find Insanity challenging since I've been taking bootcamp classes for months.

Sympathizing with you- I'm in week 5 and the highest burn with a HRM I've gotten is 340. i run, too. And the only things that really get my heart rate up seriously are running, running steps, and jump roping.