Couch to 5K

Options
Hi Everyone,

How does this app work on an iPhone... Do you just put in headphones and it tells you when to run and when to walk? Can you play music while the app is active.

I think it cost $0.99 ... Is that correct?

Are there different versions? If so, do you all recommend a certain one?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am not into technology. But I was gonna have my hubby purchase it on his phone. I still have a "old school" cell.. lol..

Also

Replies

• jkeeling39
    jkeeling39 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have been using C25K Free and have enjoyed it. This app basically works like how you are describing with audio cues for when you should start running and when you should start walking. The one thing that I did not really like about this app is that it actually doesn't have a distance tracker so I use another app called RunKeeper to track all of my runs.

I'm past week 5 and I was feeling so good I started just running the 5k without the intervals. When I started the app I struggled with a mile.
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been using C25K Free and have enjoyed it. This app basically works like how you are describing with audio cues for when you should start running and when you should start walking. The one thing that I did not really like about this app is that it actually doesn't have a distance tracker so I use another app called RunKeeper to track all of my runs.

I'm past week 5 and I was feeling so good I started just running the 5k without the intervals. When I started the app I struggled with a mile.

Thanks! And to clarify you can listen to music at the same time? Like my MP3 music or any type (Pandora, etc...)?
  • jkeeling39
    jkeeling39 Posts: 30
    Options
    Yep I listen to music through Pandora while running. It's a lot of things actively running on the phone at the same time so I definitely recommend making sure it is charged.

The other thing is I usually keep my phone on silent so if you put the phone in sleep mode with the C25K app running it will display banners but won't play any sounds. To get around this I just leave the C25K app active. So basically I have Pandora and RunKeeper running in the background while C25K is shown on the screen.
  • ontheskinnyroad
    ontheskinnyroad Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes it works on Iphone and yes just put in your headphones and it will tell you when to run or walk. You can listen to your own music too.. I like this one haven't tried any others. Good luck
  • AndiJ2011
    Options
    Yep I listen to music through Pandora while running. It's a lot of things actively running on the phone at the same time so I definitely recommend making sure it is charged.

The other thing is I usually keep my phone on silent so if you put the phone in sleep mode with the C25K app running it will display banners but won't play any sounds. To get around this I just leave the C25K app active. So basically I have Pandora and RunKeeper running in the background while C25K is shown on the screen.

Awsome. Thanks! I am gonna dowload the app tonight... I have never really ran long distance so I am really nervous, excited.. just alot of emotions. lol.. Sounds like a doable & fun approach to learning how to run.
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use RunDouble to do my C25K program. They have several different types of running programs...free runs, C25K, 10K, and half-marathons. It keeps track of time, pace, and maps as well. Plus, I can play my own music. As I run, it tells me how far I went for each interval, what my pace was, and what my average pace is for the whole run.

I'm only in my second week and you have to buy the app for the weeks after the second, but overall I'm pretty happy with the app and will purchase the remaining weeks to finish the program. I will probably move on to other programs within the app down the road as well.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have an Android phone but my C25K app is very basic.. beeps when I need to run, beeps when I need to walk and tells me how much time I have left.

I then use Endmondo to track distance/speed, and listen to my own music.
  • AndiJ2011
    Options
    Thanks Everyone...

So will I have to buy a new app for each week or is that just for certain apps such as C25K for RunDouble?
  • dad106
    Options
    Thanks Everyone...

So will I have to buy a new app for each week or is that just for certain apps such as C25K for RunDouble?

Mine has all the weeks in one app... and my app was free.
  • AndiJ2011
    Options
    Thanks Everyone...

Cool. Thanks! One last thing? What is the name of your app & also does it have a stopwatch timer on these apps just in case you miss the beep or whatever que that tells you when to run?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs - plays your own music if you want, and has a good 'tone' that chimes and a voice prompt that tells you to start walking/running/begin cool down or whatever. If you look at the app, it shows you a countdown for whatever segment you're on. Worked great for me - I'm using their 10k app now (which also has all the c25k steps on it as well, so if you have plans to go to 10k, you can just use that, but both are free).

I also use Runkeeper to track my routes, etc - can run both apps simultaneously.
  • dad106
    Options
    Thanks Everyone...

Cool. Thanks! One last thing? What is the name of your app & also does it have a stopwatch timer on these apps just in case you miss the beep or whatever que that tells you when to run?

Mine is called SimpleC25K.. but I don't think they have it for Apple products.. only android.

Mine has a count down on the screen with the word walk or run underneath it.. but I have my beep set loud enough so that I hear it and can distinguish it through my music.
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone...

For RunDouble it's free for the first two weeks and then $1.60 to unlock the other 7 weeks. That allows both doing it time or for distance.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    ooo great info :)