HRM suggestions

Options
I'm looking to purchase a heart rate monitor so I know how many calories I'm burning with my workouts. I have no idea what kind to buy. I don't want to spend a ton of money. Suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give!

Replies

• MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i like my polar ft4
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love my polar ft4 also!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Like my polar ft7... word of warning: It's problematic with exercise clothing (Technical/wicking fabric.) The static discharge from the clothing swishing around can cause erratic readings. When I'm cycling over 18mph, or it's windy, for example, it reads 200-230 as the heart rate because of the static.

(It's never a problem for me worn indoors, or for walking/jogging.)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I, too, have a Polar FT4 that I've been using 5-6 days/week for about 6 months now. I love it. My sister has a more expensive Polar one, and she showed me its features. Hers has a different wristwatch portion, but the strap and apparatus that reads your heart rate (the word escapes me at the moment) are the same. My wristwatch portion has all the same features as hers and is just as easily readable, except hers keeps a longer workout history (mine remembers up to 6 workouts). Hers is not worth the money in my opinion. Mine was about $65 on Amazon with free shipping, whereas hers was about $125.
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar ft4. It's probably the best one you're going to find that doesn't cost a ton. I got mine from bodytronics.com for $62.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've used the Polar FT7 and the FT40. The FT7 is slightly cheaper and a great HRM. The FT40 allows for better calculation of calories burned by taking into account your V02Max (either estimated or measured).
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Like my polar ft7... word of warning: It's problematic with exercise clothing (Technical/wicking fabric.) The static discharge from the clothing swishing around can cause erratic readings. When I'm cycling over 18mph, or it's windy, for example, it reads 200-230 as the heart rate because of the static.

(It's never a problem for me worn indoors, or for walking/jogging.)

Interesting, I have had the same issues, now I know a potential cause.
  • kristibag81
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!