Zombies Run App?

Options
jnhu72
jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
Two questions, is the Zombies Run App worth $7.99, and can you use it on your iPod with no internet connection or would I have to use it on my iPhone so it can use the network? Thanks!

Replies

• catch622
    catch622 Posts: 18
    Options
    I tried to research it a bit... and I don't think it is personally. Maybe someone with experience can answer better.

I believe it doesn't track calories burned (which I feel is a must for any running app). So, if that is true then it's definitely not worth the high price tag (it's only 8 bucks, but 8 bucks for an app is pretty high IMO). No idea to question 2.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    1) Worth it? Depends quite a bit on how much discretionary income you have. I think it's totally worth it. It's a great app and love it. Plenty of reviews on the internet so I won't but very good for distraction while running.

2) I can't answer the ipod part but I don't beleive it needs an internet connection but works best with a GPS.
  • embeecee
    embeecee Posts: 11
    Options
    I am having a LOT of fun with it. I think the game is more fun with GPS (so that you can have random zombie attacks to outrun) but it's still a very fun game without it.

If you can afford $8 on a game, it certainly motivated me to run more. (I actually overdid it, and had to take a week off - because it was so fun I wanted to run every day!)
  • embeecee
    Options
    I tried to research it a bit... and I don't think it is personally. Maybe someone with experience can answer better.

I believe it doesn't track calories burned (which I feel is a must for any running app). So, if that is true then it's definitely not worth the high price tag (it's only 8 bucks, but 8 bucks for an app is pretty high IMO). No idea to question 2.

It doesn't count calories on the app, but if you get a zombie link account on their site, they *just* added calorie counting based on your weight! :)

http://www.zombiesrungame.com/mmmbah/ <-- here's my profile with my last few runs and calories.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM so I'm not to worried about the calories part.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Depends on what gets you out there running. It distracts me from what I'm really doing...which is running...and I like that it incorporates your music in with it :tongue: It was worth the $8 to me.
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    OhEmGee. I've never heard of this, but I just looked it up. I'm ready! Let's train for the Zombie Apocalypse!!!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I was curious about it too. It sounds fun. I still use C25K when I run even though I finished the program a long time ago because it tracks distance and plays my music. But this may be fun to try.
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My friend has it and its amazing, I want to steal her I phone because of it, (I have an android boo)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It does need to be used on something with some form of network connectivity as it is GPS based. No GPS, no app. It's a great tool if (and only if) you have a lot of side roads you can take. The way it works is it forces you to constantly change your planned route and find alternate routes to get there as it makes imaginary zombies (which only appear on the GPS screen) appear in front of and behind you on your route. On a road with no side turnoffs or alternate routes it is a total waste. I have the free version. I like it.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that you outrun the zombies if you increase your speed, not by physically avoiding the zombies. You can pop it in your pocket, ignore the visuals and just listen to the story. I may bewrong as I only just got it.

I love the bleak humour of it and run along grinning :laugh:
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It does need to be used on something with some form of network connectivity as it is GPS based. No GPS, no app. It's a great tool if (and only if) you have a lot of side roads you can take. The way it works is it forces you to constantly change your planned route and find alternate routes to get there as it makes imaginary zombies (which only appear on the GPS screen) appear in front of and behind you on your route. On a road with no side turnoffs or alternate routes it is a total waste. I have the free version. I like it.

Although it uses GPS, you Don't have to change direction. The changing directions information is just part of the story. You imagine it, don't do it.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This app completes me.

I've spend $7.99 on way stupider things, trust me.
  • embeecee
    Options
    My friend has it and its amazing, I want to steal her I phone because of it, (I have an android boo)

I have an android too! It just came out for android in June.
  • embeecee
    Options

I think you are talking about a different app. The free one(http://www.appbrain.com/app/zombie-run/net.peterd.zombierun) is totally different from the $8 one. http://www.appbrain.com/app/zombies-run/com.sixtostart.zombiesrun.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it was recently released for Android (so was Nike+, another running app I love).

OP: you can get a free app called App Shopper and make a wish list. It will then notify you if your wish list items go on sale or are temporarily free. Zombies Run has been free at least once (right after I paid for it...sigh!)
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an iphone! i downloaded one on my android but it wasn't the same thing and you had to keep looking at the map, there was no sound *cries*
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

yeah it was suppose to come out on andriod in may but never did :(
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

yeah it was suppose to come out on andriod in may but never did :(

ok just looked again and they have it for android now too :) yay
  • suzibanshee
    suzibanshee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You downloaded a different one. Try searching for Zombies,Run! not Zombie,Run! I did the same thing too...very happy it's now available for Android users.
    I wish I had an iphone! i downloaded one on my android but it wasn't the same thing and you had to keep looking at the map, there was no sound *cries*