Weighing Food

Options
For those of you who weigh your food; do you weight your meat before or after it's cooked?

I weighed my chicken before and after it was cooked and it more than an oz. difference. Which one do I go by for tracking?

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I go by raw weight usually.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters which way you weigh it, as long as you are consistent with the way you put in in with the Data base, so if you weigh it raw, make sure you go for the raw option, if you weigh it cooked, then go for the cooked option, For most basic stuff, I think both options should be available though, you just have to search for it.

Personally though I weigh as much as I can raw.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Chicken loses moisture as it's cooked, so the cooked weight will be slighly less and the calories per g will be higher. Chicken's a particular culprit as the intensively produced kind is generally injected with surprising amounts of water to convince customers they are getting more for their money (same goes for bacon). But other food gains weight/bulk when cooked (grains and pasta for example). I always weigh raw/dried/uncooked purely for convenience - I don't want my nice dinner getting cold or whoever I'm eating with hanging about thinking I'm a loony as I fiddle about with the scales!
  • jellybean82
    jellybean82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!

I just started getting strict about weighing my food recenty. I was getting confused by the labels not specifying if an item was cooked/uncooked when providing the serving sizes.

I'll just play it safe and weigh everything before I cook it.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I weight it raw and try and find the raw version of it, I find it much easier to do it this way.
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I weigh/measure cooked. It's just easier for me to do it that way instead of keeping mine separate from my family's while it's cooking.