I know this question has been asked a zillion times!

Options
Please don't be too annoyed with me, I have searched the forums, and even watched some great videos to understand BMR and why you're not supposed to eat under it. However, when I put my goals into MFP, it still suggests for me to eat only 1,200 calories a day, even though my BMR is around 1,457. Maybe I don't understand it as well as I think I do!
I have been doing this for a week, and working out, and sometimes I net under 1,200 which I've heard is really bad. I want to do this the right way! Do I need to move my calories up to 1,457?
Sorry again for the redundant question, this is all pretty new to me, and I'm just trying to understand.

Replies

• britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to eat back your exercise calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum number of calories deemed safe for most women to lose weight by the medical community. It is calculated using the average female size and assumes a sedentary lifestyle. That's why you need to eat more if you exercise, to keep 1200 net calories. If you are above or below average in size, then you may need more or less as a base.

BMR and TDEE is another way of figuring calories for weight loss or maintenance using a calculator that includes more personal details such as age, weight and height. It is not perfect and still uses a lot of general averages, but will give a more individual recommendation.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to eat at a deficit. 1200 calories a day is the minimum of net calories needed a day in order to fuel all of your internal organs. You should never eat under this, and if you burn say 300 calories off, then you should raise this to 1500.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you have your weight loss goal set to 2lbs a week it might be giving you a low number. Try increasing it to 1lb maybe.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you have decided to eat at your BMR instead of whatever MFP gives you, go to the custom option under goals and set your daily calorie to your BMR.
  • Elsieblue
    Elsieblue Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi

I've always been confused by this too and constantly seem to be raising and lowering my calorie goal on here. For the last couple of weeks I've settled on having my goal slightly above BMR. I'm pretty active so I always eat back my exercise calories so that I nett above my BMR.

I figure that this plan needs to be sustainable long term...I don't want to screw my metabolism or lose muscle mass, I'm personally, also less likely to binge if I know I've got a few calories to play with. I haven't quite had the confidence to increase any higher than this on a day to day basis, but I figure that I'll gradually add calories to my diet until I get closer to TDEE.

If you are really interested in this, I'd suggest that you check out the eat more to weigh less group, lots of informed, sensible people ready to advise you.

Edit to add: an easy way of ensuring that I reach NET BMR for me was adjusting my goals to 1/2 pound, rather than 1 point a week loss. Might be a handy tip for someone reading.
  • golightlyphilosophy
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful answers! I will stick to what I'm at for the moment, and just be more careful to eat all of my exercise calories back. This seems like such a great community! If anyone would like to add me as a friend feel free.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Really be careful. I put my weight into the elliptical today to calculate the calories. I realized that MFP is giving me 40% more calories burned than the elliptical. Many people feel the machines over-calculate. That would explain a few things to me, mostly why I only lost one pound last week after working out like crazy! If MFP over-calculates that much then if we eat all our exercise calories it would be very bad. I put what the elliptical says today but even that I am unsure. :-/