Losing 3.5 pounds in Week 4?

Options
I understand that when you start you initially lose water weight and a few good pounds. But I'm into Week 4 and randomly lost about 3 and a half pounds this last week. It was a steady, minimal decrease, then BAM. How is that possible? And is it unhealthy? I eat around 1,500 calories a day and exercise 5-6 times a week (to keep it around 1,200 total daily).

Thanks! :)

Replies

• BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Sounds ok to me. There are weeks where I don't loose anything and then I drop 3-4lbs. If you have started a new fitness program it could all the water your muscles were retaining.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I understand that when you start you initially lose water weight and a few good pounds. But I'm into Week 4 and randomly lost about 3 and a half pounds this last week. It was a steady, minimal decrease, then BAM. How is that possible? And is it unhealthy? I eat around 1,500 calories a day and exercise 5-6 times a week (to keep it around 1,200 total daily).

It's water weight. I can lose 5 lbs in a day if I lower my sodium for a few days.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    ditto. I usually stay at 1lb/week, but I've dropped 3 or so pounds in one week before. Just remember this blessing and don't be too hard on yourself if you "stall" or gain a pound back in coming weeks. Enjoy the Super Week!
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    It could be a lot of different things, including eating habits, different routines or maybe the scale is inaccurate. These are things to consider when these types of situations come up.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to get a 3.5 loss this week.. last week on my weigh in I had just finished my period, and I hear that affects weight loss a lot. Water weight, but also the hormones are still clinging on. It was strange to me that I hadn't lost because that whole week I did an intense workout routine. So I'm hoping it catches up this week. :D
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Maybe your metabolism was a little higher last week, perhaps some changes in your diet? I dont think its unhealthy at all, unless you arent eating, otherwise, be proud of your victory!!
  • LoseWeight1986
    Options
    I regularly do that. Sometimes 3lbs a lot of times 4lbs.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I lost around 8 pounds one week after several months of dieting. It can happen. Be happy and remember the next week you might not lose any.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    In terms of being "unhealthy" I look at averages rather than every week. I don't think the body is always steady in weight loss. It jumps and stalls.
  • Pinwheels
    Pinwheels Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Heather! I recently started a bootcamp and the trainer told me that your metabolism takes about 4 weeks to adjust... apparently its common in bootcamp to not lose anything or only a pound or so in the first month & then start seeing big losses. I'm not sure if you recently started a new fitness plan but it may be a similar result? I don't think it's unhealthy as some weeks you may not lose or lose only .5, just your body doing it's magic :)
  • heatherfitz
    heatherfitz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I guess I'd always assumed water weight fluctuations only happened in the beginning, not throughout the course. I'm pretty certain now that's what it is. I'd only lost .2 pounds last week then all of a sudden 3.2! Haha, not gonna complain as long as I don't see it come back ;P
  • WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Hi there

I've been at this since the beginning of the year and by week 4 I was losing 2lbs per week. This came after a loss of 10lb in 3 weeks (started at 218lbs). After month 3, I lost 1lb every week, although I wanted to lose more. I stuck with the plan as I knew slow and steady would win the race! Anyhow, after 10 weeks of losing 1lb per week, I suddenly dropped 3lbs last week - I don't know why! I haven't changed my excerise or calorie intake, I just hope my scales still reflect the loss on weigh day! Our bodies are funny things...... sometimes we can eat to the exact calorie and not lose, then bam, it reflects a few weeks down the line.

To answer your questions.....

How is it possible? I don't know hun, just revel in the loss and be proud of yourself. Keep on track and it will all be worthwhile.

Is it healthy? Yes, you're doing so well, the loss will probably slow down and then when you get an extra good week - smile!

BTW - I've been on 1200 cals per day since day one. I have gone from 218lbs to 162 currently. I tend to work on a weekly calorie target, go over some days and under some days - hey, I like to factor in a couple of 'me' meals!

Good luck and just keep at it x
  • heatherfitz
    heatherfitz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It's nice to hear others' encouraging stories :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Although the stories posted above is a good one, it doesn't apply as you are at a different stage in your weight loss. With only 10 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2 lb a week. As you approach your goal weight, your body needs more fuel as you don't have as many fat stores to get energy from. And when you over extend your goal, your body will catabolize your muscle mass as an energy source. Muscle is what makes you look fit and lean. Besides, would you rather lose fat or muscle? This is also why it's so important to eat enough calories (generally 20% below your total daily calories burned to include metabolic rate, exercise and daily activities) and do resistance/strength training. This is what helps you cut fat as opposed to losing both muscle and fat.

It's also the reason you should start to concentrate on body fat instead of weight. Lower your body fat is what will make your body tighter and leaner. Unfortunately, giving your body 1200 calories isn't going to be enough to cut fat and can make it harder for your weight loss long term.