Any Italian recipes?

Options
Alexstrasza
Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
Anyone have any good ones? I'm mostly looking for ones with chicken but I'm open to anything!!!

Replies

• suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    my Diavolo Sauce (serves 5)

28oz can of crushed tomatoes
    2 can rotel
    3 sm zucchini (like cucumber size), halved and sliced
    1 lg sweet onion, halved and sliced
    garlic powder and cayenne to taste

in large non stick pan, saute the zucchini and onion in cooking spray til onions turn clear. Add tomatoes and rotel and seasonings. Simmer for 1/2 hour. I believe it comes up at 78 calories per serving and it's a perfect serving over 2 cups cooked pasta. Very easy to add grilled chicken or shrimp to.

just checked my recipe info.. it is 78 calories
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    my Diavolo Sauce (serves 5)

28oz can of crushed tomatoes
    2 can rotel
    3 sm zucchini (like cucumber size), halved and sliced
    1 lg sweet onion, halved and sliced
    garlic powder and cayenne to taste

in large non stick pan, saute the zucchini and onion in cooking spray til onions turn clear. Add tomatoes and rotel and seasonings. Simmer for 1/2 hour. I believe it comes up at 78 calories per serving and it's a perfect serving over 2 cups cooked pasta. Very easy to add grilled chicken or shrimp to.

just checked my recipe info.. it is 78 calories

Sounds delicious!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I really like that show "Extra Virgin" on the cooking channel...its an actress who married an Italian gent and he cooks and shes on camera sorta assisting/cooking and they have foodie friends that come over to sample food, etc..The husband seems to be fabulous in kitchen cooking authentic Italian food, they have an herb garden, stone oven & even chickens for eggs in their back yard lol..love listening to him explain why this dish or that style of whatever is MUCH better authentically vs the Americanized version..and most recipes are very simple and anyone can do, you just have to know HOW to do it.

Here is link to their show's website - lots of recipes there, too & you can search for chicken I found some.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/extra-virgin/index.html
  • holly0171
    holly0171 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Chicken Parm about 600 calories four servings

1/3 cup breadcrumbs
    1/3 cup parm
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    1 large egg
    four boneless skinless breast
    1 tbs olive oil
    3/4 cup marinara
    3/4 cup shredded mozzarella part skim

In a shallow bowl, mix together bread crumbs, parm, (powdered kind) oregano, and garlic salt
    In another bowl froth egg, ( I add a tiny bit of water to make it go a little further)
    Wrap chicken breast in suran wrap and pound until about half inch thick
    dip breast in egg and then into breadcrumb mix

Heat oil, and cook chicken
    spoon marinara sauce on top of chcken and sprinkle with cheese, reduce heat and cover pan to let the cheese melt.

Recipe says this is about 340 calories. My whole meal came out to be about 600 calories. I think the next time I make this dish, I will be cooking it in the oven to eliminate the frying and oil. But, it was family approved. And very easy I might add.

(If someone tells me how to put a picture up, I will post it...)
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There's a Weight Watcher's cookbook that is all pretty authentic reasonable calorie Italian recipes...and not just pasta (which I am avoiding).It's called Simply the Best Italian...good recioes
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    Italian Wedding Soup
    1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    2 tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
    1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon chopped Italian flat leaf parsley (optional)
    2 green onions, sliced (optional)
    5 3/4 cups chicken broth
    2 cups finely sliced escarole (spinach may be substituted)
    1 lemon, zested
    1/2 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta), uncooked
    grated Parmesan cheese for topping

Directions
    1.Mix together the meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil, parsley, and green onions; shape into 3/4 inch balls.
    2.Pour broth into a large saucepan over high heat. When boiling, drop in meatballs. Stir in escarole, lemon zest and orzo. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender, stirring frequently. Serve sprinkled with cheese.

Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 159 | Total Fat: 5.6g | Cholesterol: 60mg
  • tuckyfatbutt
    tuckyfatbutt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Check out Fabio Vivianni on Yahoo.shine under Chow Ciao. He has recipes and the video's too. They may not be real weight reducers but his Tomato Sauce for spaghetti is extremely good and very easy. Plus it's just 3 ingredients.. Check it out.