Help! 13 hour drive and I'm going solo

Options
mmaikisch
mmaikisch Posts: 20 Member
HI. I am driving from Chicago to Virginia tomorrow and I am looking for pre-packaged ideas for my trip. I will have a small cooler on the seat next to me. I dont want to eat junk the whole ay and regret it when I get there. Any help wouild be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• mnomics
    mnomics Posts: 35
    Options
    sandwiches and fruit :)
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Stimulant wise, I always take a 24 hour pseudophed plus caffeine. I make 700miles in 10 hours usually (GA to PA, time includes stopping!). I've stumbled upon Mio Energy (concentrated caffeine source) that could be useful instead of drinking water with caffeine pills...good for keeping the bladder not so full.

I actually never eat during since I am use to doing intermittent fasting (IF)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    plain rice cakes and celery and carrots for the mindless munchies that you do because you are bored (not hungry)
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Definitely things like carrot sticks are good for car journeys, mini cheeses like baby bell are good too!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    You've got a cooler! The world is your oyster, man.

Just enter everything into your diary as you load it in the cooler, and you'll know if you've made good choices.
  • angelicahinkle
    Options
    friuts and nuts are a big plus. and lots of water. celery and carrots are an excellent idea
  • sherryplain
    Options
    Pistachios, light string cheese, carrot sticks, apples, bananas
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, lean meats like turkey, lo fat cheese strings, turkey jerkey, baked chips, because I NEED to munch when I drive, but I don't have the bread. And absolutely, some great music or a good book on cd or EReader to break up the boredom. Then I am less tempted to munch!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Raisins, nuts, granola bars, carrots, cheese sticks, grapes, pretzels, rice cakes, beef jerky, etc.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    My Last car trip I prepared the following snacks before I left, then all I needed to do was pull then out and eat.

Celery with Cream Cheese
    Crackers and cheese
    Hard boiled eggs shelled
    Bite size pieces of seasoned baked chicken
    Cut up veggies
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    String cheese, turkey jerky, protein shakes and nuts are always staples when I'm traveling
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I make the 920 mile drive to Cali with my two small boys all the time, and I actually find I don't snack much. I'll have a box of Cheerios sitting next to me that I may take a couple handfuls of the whole time and then some energy drinks. We typically drive overnight, and then stop for breakfast in the morning when we are a couple of hours away from our destination, though.
  • ecmorales
    ecmorales Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you like 'crunch'....cucumbers, jicama, other vegs sliced into spears.
    If you do replacements....Atkins bars are good for the sweat tooth.
    Air popped popcorn is great for the snacking motion, and won't take up space in your cooler.
    V-8 juice is great for replacing non-water beverages, and curbs hunger (low sodium version).
    Tip on the deli meat, make little rolls ahead of time - making it very easy to eat on the road.
    But all that being said, take out time OFF the road to eat to safeguard against that feeling of "did I really eat that already...didn't even taste it". You don't want to end up feeling like it's time to eat again.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Crank the tunes & munch on fruit, plain rice cakes, mini cheeses, crackers. Anything you can eat using one hand.
    Just don't forget to bring bottles of water to wash it all down - even though (if you're anything like me) that will mean a lot of pit stops on your journey.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    veggies!!! pre package them in ziploc baggies so you dot go overboard with them. also make some protein powder protein bars for when you need an extra something, and maybe hummus too. as for meals, maybe some deli cold cut meats and rice cakes? anything but gas station cuisine!
  • Meghan4330
    Meghan4330 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who ate an entire bag of baby carrots during her long drive lol
  • pjhump
    pjhump Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tuna in the packet is a good choice for some added protein. It doesn't need to be refrigerated and you can eat it plain with a plastic fork - throw the whole thing out when you are done. I just got back from an 8 day motorcycle trip and we cut up some fruit and put it in a baggie, got some yogurt and tuna and packed our lunch for every day instead of going to restaurants. On days that we were couldn't pack it (our travel days there and back) we had McDonald's salads with grilled chicken.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Subway... or make your own sandwiches and healthy snacks. You have to ask yourself how much would you normally eat in a 13 hour day? I do a lot of those road trips (its 13 hours from my home in Atlanta to Philly where I am temporarily working) and 13 hours from Atlanta to Houston where my wifes family is... so we do this often so we pack our road snacks or stop for something along the way.
    Safe travels!
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My family are serious road trip takers. You should prepare some healthy snacks in the car, eating and driving tends to be the name of the game. I wouldn't worry too much about food, because you can stop along the way. My road trip snacks include nuts, yogurt, chewing gum, and fruit (preferably something you can just eat and not peel). I've also packed those prepared salads from Walmart that are $2.50. You can easily throw that into a cooler. Also on the road there are plenty of places to stop. At this point you know what's good for you and what's not. Safe travels!