Will fasting slwo down my metabolism???

Options
:ohwell: I have an improtant event coming up on friday, i want a flat stomach etc by then - don't we all aha :laugh: - anyway, if i was to fast either partly this week or the day before/on the day etc.. A) will it work? B) Will it have consqeuences afterwards?

Replies

• amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    not sure. I have a decent size belly and no way fasting all week will give me a flat tummy... maybe it depends if you have a faily flat stomach already and want to avoid the "bloating" affect....:huh:

Edit to say "If I fasted all week and not just a day I wont have a flat belly"
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
  • RitaMarie88
    RitaMarie88 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    if u eat too less calories for too long, your body will go into starvation mode. Meaning - your body will hold on to all its fat and your metabolism will work extremely slow. When you eat again, you may gain back MORE weight because your metabolism is running low. idk about a day or 2...but i know if you eat too few calories for some time you body will basically shut down
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's not going to make any difference, just continue eating as normal.

In the most polite terms possible, it's a silly idea.
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Options
    I've made the mistake of doing that before. It will cause more harm than good. And then as soon as you eat again your body will hold on to it. If you do fast, you will get headaches and of course stomach pangs and you will become sleepy and grouchy. PLus, you definitely wont see any substantial difference in the flatness of your tummy from fasting for even 3 days (ive done that before too). Dont do it. If you want to have a flatter tummy just stay away from salts and bad fats. Drink water and eat veggies
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Cut out all your salts/sodium... Drink lots of water... Will help flush any water your belly might be holding.. About all you can do for it though in this short of time. Fasting won't help because as soon as you do it you'll become bloated from it. Well I did the 24 hours I did fast.
  • Grace071
    Grace071 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you're fasting for the purpose of weight loss, it won't work. Eat 5 small meals throughout your day, rather than 3 larger ones, it'll keep your metabolism running and burn off more calories :) I fast once a month for my church, and it mostly just kind of resets my system, but starving yourself to try to lose weight never works... your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto everything you give it after that. Having a little belly pooch isn't always because of "fat". Sometimes you're overarching your lower back which makes you appear to have a pooch. Check out this site, it may be able to give you some tips :)

http://pinterest.com/source/woldfitness.com/
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Cut out all your salts/sodium... Drink lots of water... Will help flush any water your belly might be holding.. About all you can do for it though in this short of time. Fasting won't help because as soon as you do it you'll become bloated from it. Well I did the 24 hours I did fast.

^^ This