unable to run!

Options
Whenever I try to run on a treadmill i get to about 2 minutes max before i have to stop. the last time i jogged outdoors I got shin splints after only 20 minutes. Yet with hiking, I can go all day, easily doing 12-14 miles. So why cant i run? Any tips?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes at a specialty running store and slow down.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Are you starting out too fast?? Do you have a good pair of running shoes? Are you in generally good physical shape?? Trying a program like C25K will get your running. I also do a pre and post run yoga routine that I have on my iphone.
  • Iguana67
    Iguana67 Posts: 8
    Options
    Are you starting out too fast?? Do you have a good pair of running shoes? Are you in generally good physical shape?? Trying a program like C25K will get your running. I also do a pre and post run yoga routine that I have on my iphone.

What is C25K? I might be starting too fast. I'm not in good shape no. I sprained my ankle 3 months ago and its still weak now, and ive walked since then but not tried to run.
  • josiereside
    Options

What is C25K? I might be starting too fast. I'm not in good shape no. I sprained my ankle 3 months ago and its still weak now, and ive walked since then but not tried to run.

C25K (couch to 5K) is a running program.. basically as the name says, starts someone from the couch to running in 8 weeks. It starts you off doing walk/run intervals. There is a phone app or you can get the schedule by googling it. I would work on lower body stretches to make sure you have lots of flexibility, toe pointing, ankle circles, calf raises, as well as exercises to strength you whole lower leg. Make sure you ankle is totally healed and pain free before running.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Do you have good running shoes?

And also have you tried easing into running? Try looking up the couch to 5k program.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Warm up for 5, then jog for 1 min., walk for 2. Don't all out run, just jog on 3 :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm on the C25k Camp.. I'm going on week 2 day 2. Also agree with trying to slow down.

Be it treadmill or outside, I always think I can go faster then I actually can. and then my body always kicks back with it's "not so fast stupid.. you need to slow down" mechanisms.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    If your new to running, your most likely not going to be able to just bust out at a run and keep it up for a long period of time. You need to start small and work your way up. Walk for a warm up, run 1min or 30 seconds then walk again, or if you can run the 2mins ok then do that. Walk for a warm up, then jog 2mins, walk 2 mins, jog 2 mins, or whatever time intervals work best for you. But don't try to just do a full on run, and DON'T give up!!! Do what you can, then go back and do it again the next day and try to do a little more! You CAN do it! That is exactly how I started.

Edited for stupid grammer. lol
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There's a BIG difference between hiking and running. Hiking, even over very rough terrain, is much lighter impact. I had a running injury to my piriformis some time ago and had to quit running altogether, but I continued hiking weekly with no ill effect.

I agree with the others here who recommend starting out slow and working into longer/faster runs. And sometimes you need to rest a day or so between runs. I still cannot run every single day without my piriformis acting up. I just do elliptical or some other cardio on those days.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    yes, try couch 2 5k. also go to a store to see if you need different shoes. some shoes make your feet roll and contribute to shin splints. also,when your leg muscles get stronger the shin splints will go away.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try walking at a faster pace before you try and run. If you can hike without to much trouble (I hike allot so I get it) then you might just have to acclimatize to running. Try interval running, walk for 2 min run for 1, Etc. Also check out the C25K program, might be beneficial to you. I found that I like to run on the trails I used to hike! So I walk/Jog some of the shorter ones by my house.
  • ThisTimeIWillSuceed
    Options
    Whenever I try to run on a treadmill i get to about 2 minutes max before i have to stop. the last time i jogged outdoors I got shin splints after only 20 minutes. Yet with hiking, I can go all day, easily doing 12-14 miles. So why cant i run? Any tips?

I'm having a problem a bit similar to this, but it is a bit more than splints.. :/ It's been on going for 2 years, on and off. Doctors wednesday! Good luck with yours :):)
  • josiereside
    Options
    There's a BIG difference between hiking and running. Hiking, even over very rough terrain, is much lighter impact. I had a running injury to my piriformis some time ago and had to quit running altogether, but I continued hiking weekly with no ill effect.

I agree with the others here who recommend starting out slow and working into longer/faster runs. And sometimes you need to rest a day or so between runs. I still cannot run every single day without my piriformis acting up. I just do elliptical or some other cardio on those days.

Definitely have to agree on not running every day... my shins have not bothered me for years and I just ran 2 days in a row and my left shin is feeling it.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I've yet to run into anyone else with this affliction outside my family, but I cannot run. I can be at goal weight and in great shape cardio-wise, I can do everything else, it's not age-related, I've always been this way. I've read the running books, had my gait checked at the specialty footwear stores, tried C25K, Chi Running, you name it. My HR just gets too high. I finally resigned myself to the fact that I'm just biomechanically not built for running and that's ok. Like how Lance Armstrong is biomechanically suited for cycling-- the length of his femurs and such. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :laugh:
  • Iguana67
    Iguana67 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for great tips. I'm definately going to check out this C25K program. My ankle is still not fully healed so going to start cycling when my bike gets repaired on the 18th July. I have an old railway line that's converted into a trail just near my house which is ideal for jogging and cycling.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Running on the dreadmill sucks anyway.............
  • Curvygirly22
    Curvygirly22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

What app on your iPhone is that ?
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes at a specialty running store and slow down.

Have to agree.

I also put some mats below it to create an incline. This also seems to reduce the impact on my legs.
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    In my younger days (sigh) I was a runner. When I started to run I suffered from shin splints as well as some muscle inflamation around the ankle. Yet I could hike pain free for miles and miles, even climbing some mountains. I have always been big, playing football etc and thought I needed extra cushioning in my shoes. Wrong!! What I needed was a more stable shoe, which at the time meant a stiffer, less cushiony shoe. I also ran with flexible shoes. Wrong again. Why? After visiting a podiatrist who was a runner it was determined I was an over pronator and running on flexible, cushiony shoes just exasperated the problem, hence the severe shin splints. After I was fitted for orthotics and switched to the proper running shoe, the problem went away. I ran a marathon shortly after.

I'm not trying to diagnose your problem, I simply saying invest the time (money) to get an accurate assessment of your foot type. Then find the shoes/inserts which support your foot type. I'm trying to lose 12 years of sedentary living and once my fitness level will support running, I'm going to do the same thing....again.