Do you need less sleep?

Options
As I am excercising more and eating better, I am finding that I am not as sluggish and actually feel better on a little less sleep. Granted my daughter still wakes me in the middle of the night so I don't get a good rest but even at that I can get up 30 minutes earlier and not need a red bull to get me through the day like I used to.

So do YOU need less sleep as you are getting healthier?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    No, unfortunately I still function best on 8-10 hours.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nope and there are studies that show if you don't get a enough sleep, your body will respond adversely to weight/fat loss. I need 7-8 hours at least.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    hi there,

I'd say read this for info:-

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/diet-exercise-and-sleep

but although I can get by on 6hrs, I'd say from personal experience between 7-9hr for most of us.

we're all a little different, studies out there recommend about this amount :)

now chillax, have a bath and read a book, wind down and sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.....

:)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I do notice that I feel a lot better during the day. I also notice that I'm exhausted around 10-11pm and pass out! =D I can sleep a good 9 hours.. sometimes more O.o
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I guess that didn't come out right. Sure I still need my sleep but I am no longer feeling like I need a nap at 2 pm and I can actually stay up till 10 without becoming mrs. Grouch. I just meant that I feel better and am not so tired.
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    Over the past couple of weeks, I've been staying up later and getting up earlier - and I love my sleep. This morning I was up and ready for my day at 5:15! I have to attribute this to eating way more healthy food (fruits, veggies, lean protein, etc). I think that my past diet of lots of cereals and pastas would have me craving a diet coke at 3:00 and lull me to sleep for many, many hours at night. Just today though I had a heavy carb lunch and at 2:00 was totally sluggish. So there is a strong connection for me between healthy eating and way better and much more energy throughout my day.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You've gotta do whatever works for you. Right?
  • lucymtodd
    lucymtodd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating healthy and working out regularly I find that I don't need as much sleep as I normally do and have way more energy :-)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Good nutrition and exercise help a lot with the mid day nap syndrome.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be this way, but I find 8-10 hrs is best for me. Although, I usually get around 7. I did find it much easier to fall asleep when I was exercising and eating better.
  • RedMan33
    RedMan33 Posts: 11
    Options
    I always notice a huge change in my energy level as I work out. I think that is natural though as your self-esteem rises along with how you treat your body with the changes. I recently gave up caffiene however, which has made a huge difference. I do not crash at all since I have had nothing to give me a temporary high to begin with. If working out is the fix you need to be happy all day, I say stick with it! Plus get rid of the Redbull/coffee/coke in the morning and you will feel even better! Sorry, had to say it, and if you have cut it out don't go back. Caffiene does some weird stuff.