giving up soda

Options
Anyone else doing this? I recently decided that 3 pepsi a day wasn't going to help me lose weight, so I've been trying to give it up but its so hard. I went down to two a day then one a day, now its none a day. Its only been two days and I'm going crazy.

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I was like that with coke, until I just up and quit it. Start carrying around a bottle of water, everywhere you go. I'm talking, driving to/from work, grocery store, etc. and just drink up. When you go to the restaurants or somewhere to eat out order water and drink drink drink. I used to think water was disgusting and now I'm down to 8 - 10 cups a day. It helps that my bf hates sodas and only drinks water all day long - that's wat helped me a lot. I still have one every couple weeks or so, but instead of drinking coke/pepsi I get sprite - which in my mind is somewhat better. haha

oh and in the mean time, while I was adjusting to water, I also drank iced tea.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking several a day to none. It gets easier with time. I had a couple sips of one the other day, first time in about 6 months, and it didn't even taste good. Plus I find it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It is hard at first...but then you just kind of get used to it!

Now I even sneak a Snapple into the movies, as that was the last place that I could not seem to avoid the soda.

It might help to try flavored seltzers to wean yourself off the Pepsi. This way, you still feel like you are having a little soda, but it is not as bad for you.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for lent one year (I'm not catholic but like the concept of lent) and didn't drink soda for 6 months after that - then I was stupid and went back to drinking it. I'm trying to cut way back, but I'm a Texas girl and I love my Dr. Pepper. I found a good solution was unsweet tea or tea with splenda (if you like it). It was a good alternate for soda and isn't bad for you. Just a suggestion!
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I used to be a pepsiaholic LOL. I used to drink at least 3 litres a day, and now I don't drink any. I also don't drink coffee (never did). So, I find that when I need the caffeine that I used to get from pepsi, I will have a green tea. It always seems to work for me and helped curb the craving. DH still drinks a ton of it, and now I'm not even interested in it. The very odd time I will have a drink out of his, and I DO NOT like it. It's so sugary, puts an awful coating on my teeth and then the fizz REALLY upsets my stomach. I've pretty much been off it for 8 months. It was very hard to give up, but so worth it in the long run! Way too many empty calories and not healthy at all!

Good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    When I gave up soda I started drinking mineral water instead. I just couldn't give up the fizzy drinks.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I figured out that by going from my previous Mt Dew consumption, to the one a week I drink now, that I cut 4500 calories out of my weekly diet. That's like 1.3 pounds a week just by changing the way I DRANK.

In the mean time I drink a lot of water and tea.
  • healthychic
    Options
    If you desperatly can't stand not having pop I would try something diet once in a while like Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Pepsi, or Coke Zero. I know pop is pop, but still you can treat yourself once in a while if you need to.

-Danielle
  • leeswife
    Options
    I had a huge Dr. Pepper addiction (at least 2 or 3 a day) - I gave it up by using the crystal light packets in my water. It gives you flavor without so many calories.

After about a week or two without regular Dr. Pepper, I tried Diet Dr. Pepper, and it tastes just as good - I sneak a couple of those in throughout the week, so I still have a treat without the guilt of empty calories!
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Pepsi has a lot of caffine--maybe best to cut it down to 1 a day for a week then get rid of all soda. I wouldn't drink diet pop as it causes some people to gain or not lose weight because of the chemical sweetner. I try to avoid all chemicals. When my husband quit soda, he lost a lot of weight right away. Maybe not so true with women.

Good luck
  • SturgeonGal
    Options
    I did this a while back and at first it was a challenge but in time I got used to it .. watch the caffine headaches.. Ice tea can help there .. I have since found a low cal alternitive.. there is a carbonated water called Cascade Ice it comes in verious flavors and taste pretty good and with about 5 calories in a 17 oz bottle I allow myself one a day with dinner ... get the bubles and something with more flavor.. :-)
  • koriebrownie
    koriebrownie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I gave it up 6 months ago. Try crystal light it worked for me.
    248210.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I tried the flavored spritz waters from the grocery store to help out - I craved the fizzy drinks, then went from those to the Crystal Light packets. I do indulge in a soda when we go out to eat, or on occasion at home (holidays/special occasion)- but it's always diet, and I try to keep it caffeine free as well (diet Sprite/7up, or Diet Rootbeer).
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Anyone else doing this? I recently decided that 3 pepsi a day wasn't going to help me lose weight, so I've been trying to give it up but its so hard. I went down to two a day then one a day, now its none a day. Its only been two days and I'm going crazy.

YEp! That's me with Coke.... Its a long process, but I'm getting there... I drink Crystal Light Wild Strawberry Energy (has caffiene) to help with the withdraw headaches....
    Good luck! We can do it !!!! :):drinker:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I have also just did this, with pepsi max and coke zero, my fave drinks. It was really hard until I realized that I lost 2 pounds by just doing this. That is my motivation to not open that can or bottle!
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for lent one year (I'm not catholic but like the concept of lent) and didn't drink soda for 6 months after that - then I was stupid and went back to drinking it. I'm trying to cut way back, but I'm a Texas girl and I love my Dr. Pepper. I found a good solution was unsweet tea or tea with splenda (if you like it). It was a good alternate for soda and isn't bad for you. Just a suggestion!

I did too - it was about 14 years ago and I still don't drink much soda to this day. I may indulge in a Dr. Pepper on occassion (were talking like maybe once or twice a month) but, for the most part, I don't miss it in the least.
  • ChristineL
    Options
    Also, it takes 3 days for your body to detox from caffeine--so today is hard, and tomorrow will be a little harder, but if you can hold out it gets a bit easier after that.