I want my life back.

Options
I really don't know how to word any of this - not sure if I'll even post it - but I'm so desperate for some kind of guidance. Even simple words of comfort would suffice. I don't want or need attention, that's for sure - I have too much of that at home right now and although my loved ones mean well, it's pushing me the wrong way.

I have recently been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, after a long time of refusing to see it for myself. At time of diagnosis my BMI was 17.5 but has since dropped to 16.4. For fear of gaining, I'm still losing (albeit at a slower rate than it was). Do I want to? No, I don't think I do anymore. I despise my body and I still feel huge but I've come to realise that no amount of weight loss is going to change that. All I'm doing is losing muscle mass and becoming more obsessed with the body fat it leaves on my "shell". Because that's all I am these days. A shell, void of all emotion and incapable of thinking about anything except food. When I'm not exhausted, I'm hungry. And when I'm not hungry, I'm hungry. This is not life - this is existence.

"So do something about it," I already sense people muttering, "Just start frickin' eating properly." And you know what? There are rare days when I'm in my right mind and I DO eat properly. At maintenance or at the goal set by my doctor. But that day of clarity is followed immediately by blind panic, and a series of days/weeks of eating under maintenance to compensate for my weak moment. Even a McDonalds with the family that fits INTO my maintenance calories has me restricting for days. An upcoming birthday meal will have me doing the same. Why the cycle? Because as much as I know losing more will not make me happy, neither will gaining it back. More weight, more body fat, less tolerance for my grotesque figure.

I miss exercise. I miss going to the gym. It's hard enough walking the dog and doing the housework, now. Every ounce of strength I worked hard to gain has been pissed away, just like that. It's going to take forever to get it back.

So recovery or not, I'm stuck in this shell of fat for a long time to come and the thought makes me want to die. I have burdened my family and friends. I am robbing hardworking taxpayers of their money because I'm too pathetic to hold down a job.

People like me should be hanged.

Replies

• nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    For one thing "people like you" should NOT be hanged. You WILL overcome this, and the great people here can and will help you along with your doctor. You always have us to turn to, and you can always message/add me if you would like. No, I don't know what it's like to suffer from what your going through, but I am always here if you need to vent/talk. You got this and you will make it through this.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin' on...........
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options

People like me should be hanged.

Hi
    I've been treated for depression for many years and although my depression has other causes than weight etc, your last comment has brought me to tears, as it's how I see myself.

You're wrong though.
    We are wrong.

Use all the support you can get on here, from your doctor and anyone else you can.

I wish I could help.

Take care
    Amanda
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    you should NOT be hanged. you have a disease and you are trying to recover. that's not easy. it's not for sissies. and you're DOING it b/c you're strong enough.

that said, is there a group you can join? or are you working w/ a psychiatrist who speciallizes in EDs? b/c you need that right now.

i look at it this way - i've never been anorexic, but i do have compulsive disorders. i'm a recovering addict. and the thought process is actually VERY similar. when addicts first go into recovery we're told over and over "30 meetings in 30 days". and the first time, it sounds like BS. but by the time you're ready to hear it and ready to DO it, you do. and that's when it starts to work. is there a group therapy option or a meeting option for you to find ppl in recovery from ED?

recovery isn't easy for ANY of us. but you keep at it. every day, and sometimes minute-by-minute. don't try to control EVERY day. just control NOW.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You don't see how strong you are...but I do. Your honesty takes courage, writing then posting this, facing what your mind is telling you. Extraordinary strength. :heart:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    There's no one braver than someone willing to admit that they have a problem and they need help. You've done that. That's the hard part. The rest is just one day at a time.

You can beat this. Know that.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Recovering from anorexia is about so much more than eating more -- it's about receiving the help you need to make your mind well, also. I hope that you are in counseling, or that you will seek counseling.

You are not worthless, you are not a burden, and you certainly deserve life. Get well.
  • JoLo27
    JoLo27 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi there

You are clearly a very intelligent and sensitive young lady who is facing some very real challenges. This does not mean that you are bad or weak or that you choose to be this way. I have suffered from depression and anxiety myself and yet, to the "outside world" I am seen to be a coper, an achiever, someone who is in control. We shy away from the term mental health and stigmatise it and yet, we choose these problems no more than we chose to have a physical illness like cancer.

Are you getting some professional help with this? I am a UK tax payer and I have no problem with my taxes going towards treatment for people who need care and support from our society. That it what we pay the taxes for. Please seek the treatment that you need to beat this from people who are qualified to help you. They are out there and lots of women, and men, get through anorexia and DO get their lives back.

You can do it. I'm sending you lots of support and encouragement but please take care as there are people online (not necessarily on MFP) who might not be best placed to give you the help you need.

xx
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was really moved by your post. First off, people like you do NOT deserve to be hanged. You have a disease/illness and you need professional help in treating it.

While I am by no means a doctor or professional, I do most certainly hope that you get the help that you need (and even sound like you want). If you have been diagnosed, then I hope that means that there is some option of treatment available to you. Please seek treatment... you are worth it.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have no words of wisdom. Just know that good thoughts and prayers are headed your way
  • hali1
    hali1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    as much as I know losing more will not make me happy, neither will gaining it back.

I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I've read - gaining back some weight actually might make you feel much better. Your brain chemicals are out of whack, honey - this is not your fault but as others have pointed out, a disease has done this to you. The more you deprive your brain of the nutrients it needs, the further off balance this becomes, and the worse you feel. Increasing your nutrition level and caloric level will help stabilize those chemicals to where you will start to see yourself differently and you will feel better.

And the better you feel about yourself, and the more energy you have from increasing your calories and nutrition, the more you will be able to do those things you miss - be present with your family and people who love you, have energy for hobbies, work, exercise, whatever you want to do. And all of that will make you feel even better.

I guess what I'm saying is, I think it's very important to trust the process. Take in the nutrition you know you need, even if you don't believe yet it will help you feel better. Try to find a support group who not only means well but actually understands what you're going through and where you're coming from. It may not work overnight, but I think you have the strength to see it through until it does. And in the meantime please stop beating yourself up over this! No one would bring this kind of torment onto themselves. It can't be stressed enough - this is NOT YOUR FAULT.

Best of luck to you - I hope you can find something very very soon that helps!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Everytime you fall just get back up. This is a good step in the right direction.

Good luck
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    You can do it, I believe in you.
    But you have to try to get rid of the negative thoughts, they don't help. Take things slow at first maybe just try to catch yourself when you are thinking negatively, then work your way up to finding positives about yourself. Sometimes finding positive things about yourself when you are depressed, anxious or in a bad place is difficult. But changing how you think and see the world might help.
    I am no expert but this is what has helped me through rough times.
    If you want friends, feel free to add me.
  • Front_Runner
    Front_Runner Posts: 175
    Options
    I, too, would like to offer some words of support. Like many of these posters have said (in so many words), you are precious.... you are not a burden... you are not a drain on society. There are no easy answers, and those who tell you to "snap out of it" are simply ignorant of the suffering you experience. Things can change for the better, and you can find inner peace once again - though it may feel absolutely hopeless at times.

The other posters who recommended seeking professional help and counseling are correct. I believe in that. Much like a broken leg, or a illness of the stomach, psychiatric and spiritual pain are a true illness that can be repaired and worked with. Unfortunately, much of our society has attached a stigma to these conditions - and people choose to ignore, ridicule, and shun those who suffer from psychological and spiritual pain. But there are those who understand, and will help guide and support you. People who can help you find the tools and discover your inner strength buried deep within. You can overcome this. You will overcome this.

I, along with many in my family, have sufferred with very similar conditions. I recall those times when I felt absolutely worthless and without hope. I felt frightened, exhausted, desperate... yet had no idea what to do, where to turn. That was many years ago, and I overcame those dark times. I believe that you can, too.

One of the things that helped me, was turning to teachers like Buddhist Tich Nhat Hanh and the Dali Lama. I am by no means a Buddhist - but during those dark times... their words helped me to find strength. They helped me to learn about focusing on the present moment - and let go of the past and the future. They helped me to take each day - once at a time! They helped me learn not to beat myself up, rather to be gentle with myself, and come back to myself. “I would not look upon anger as something foreign to me that I have to fight...I have to deal with my anger with care, with love, with tenderness, with nonviolence.” Things like that....

Anyway... I genuinely wish you all the best - and I believe you can find yourself again. I encourage you to reach out to the pros to help you find the tools you need. I also encourage you to look into some kind of spiritual teacher - whatever works for you. It doesn't have to be religious... but look into the wisdom of some of the great teachers. I find it helpful.
  • Othos
    Othos Posts: 33
    Options
    Disclaimer: The message below is really, really blunt. If you have any doubts about reading it, please don't. Skip it and go to the next person's reply.

==========
    Most anorexics think that they're "fat" and that no one finds them attractive, but the very blunt honest truth is that most guys (and girls) who find girls attractive think anorexic girls look HIDEOUS. All the amazingly hot women we all emulate (or want to date) are NOT as thin as you think. They're actually height/weight proportional, and they work out. And when I say "they work out", I mean they lift heavy weights, with the result being that they have incredibly toned, sleek bodies. What you're aspiring to right now is a bony, saggy body, with no muscle tone and no energy. What you consider "thin" isn't thin, it's a fat person who's starving to death. "Thin" is a physically fit girl whose weight is proportional to her height.

So Step One is you need to figure out what the scientifically recommended weight for your age and height should be, and then set that weight target in MFP. Then eat the calories MFP tells you to eat, even if you think that's crazy, even if you think you'll get "fat" eating that much. Trust the medical experts (you are not one). Eat a lot of protein too, so that when you go back to the gym, you have plenty of fuel to build muscle. And then get back in the gym, and don't just focus on cardio! A lot of women think that they will get all bulky and hideous if they lift weights. That won't happen without years of DAILY lifting and massive testosterone supplements. Most women (and some men) don't have the levels of testosterone needed to build Conan muscles. Instead you'll end up with Jessica Alba, Beyonce' type muscles. In other words, you will look #@%&ing amazing and feel great and every man or woman that finds girls attractive will find YOU attractive, because you'll be THIN (thin = HWP and physically fit).

So to summarize: malnourished girls are NOT attractive, let MFP guide you to a sensible and healthy weight, and lift heavy things and put them down a lot. And if I don't get banned for this post, feel free to IM me if you have questions or need more brutally honest feedback. :)

I think you have two paths forward: one takes you toward starvation and misery and looking and feeling horrible, and the other path is a leap of faith into trusting the medical experts and eating more and lifting weights. The second path sounds crazy, but the first path has kinda sucked so far, right? Why not try the path that ends with you looking incredible, feeling great, and having everyone staring at you in a GOOD way? Good luck.
    ==========
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am really sorry you are going through this but i am glad to see you take the first step and acknowledge that you have a problem. I am here if there is anything i can do.
  • Numptcakes
    Numptcakes Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thank you to one and all for your responses. I'm overwhelmed by the number of kind hearted people who took the time to read this, let alone post in it.

Although I'm not in the right frame of mind at present to reply to this in detail, I want you all to know that your effort has not been ignored and I am thankful for every word written (yes, even the more blunt ones!).

Taking things a day at a time. Today hasn't been a great one but there's always tomorrow. And for as long as there's a tomorrow, there's a chance to get past all this
  • Othos
    Othos Posts: 33
    Options
    Not to resurrect an old thread, but I've been sick for almost a week and was curious how you're doing?