17 Day Diet Reviews/Advice

Options
A friend of mine recommended the 17 Day Diet to me, and I am considering buying the book. From the reviews I've read it seems many people have been very successful. I would like more feedback from "real" people, though. Please advise : )

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Seems kind of gimmicky, and they claim rapid weight loss, which is a red flag. What's wrong with losing weight the old fashioned way?
  • cathylovestim
    Options
    I agree with the post above. Take it from a 52 year old who has done everything from Weight Watchers to Phen-fen to Jenny Craig. Log everything you put into your mouth, count your calories, drink plenty of water and exercise. It's the healthy way to lose weight and create good habits. There is no easy way out that is lasting.
  • Andiarena
    Options
    The title of the book makes it sound like a gimmick, fad diet book. Its really not though. Cut out processed foods, and sugar is the basis for the diet. Its got some good information. I would say check it out from the library or borrow from a friend? I'm sure you could get it from amazon pretty cheap too. My neighbor used this plan to tweak her training and diet and had great results. She is already really fit though, and was only looking to improve her nutrition and maybe lose like 5 lbs or something. I read it, found it informational, but since i'm having decent and acceptable progress with mfp and doing what i'm doing, i am continuing to do this.
  • dwallior3326
    Options
    I have the book and I dont recommend it. Its like 4 sets of 17 days. Each 17 days you're allowed different foods. I lasted about 5 days before I just couldnt take it anymore. But I did see some weight loss. To me, I think it will give you weight loss, but not a lifestyle change. I could see many people gaining the weigh back on quickly.
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I understand the main thing to losing is calories in vs calories out. I do well when I log in my food diary (I use a different software program than MFP because I prefer it), but I fall off the wagon frequently. I think I'm looking for something a bit structured, something to jump start me, maybe something to fall back on when I falter. And perhaps something to combine with what I'm doing, say, tweak it. Basically I need a big ol' slap in the face and a 24/7 babysitter! lol
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book, its quite a balanced approach to weightloss. With lots of vegies , fruit, Green tea ,with lean proteins. Sure you could just eat realy natural and probley get the same results. But some people like myself like the structure of following a plan. And most people who have followed the diet have reported eating more healthy then they ever have. ;-)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I checked it out of the library to read it. I didn't see anything in what I read that seems dangerous or harmful. It did seem like something that could be sustainable if you enjoyed the foods that are part of the plan. Try checking it out from the library and really reading through it to help you decide.
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I never made it through the first 17 days... I count calories and not only was I not getting enough calories... I had a problem with the sugar intake. I know for my body I need to minimize sugar and I was getting at least double my normal intake with the diet. That was a huge issue for me. I do think that it works because your intake is very restricted in the beginning.
  • icandoit63
    icandoit63 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 of the 17 day diet, so i am no expert, but i really like the structure and think that it is a great way to detox my body of the too much sugar and foods that cause inflamation in the body. I would try it out. It is worth buying he book even to get the information. personally i think that if you want you can do these cycles in the book for wht ever amount of days you want. Lot of veggies lean meats yogurt 2 fruits a day and lot os water and green tea. I most like will not drink too much green tea, i just dont realy like it. Try it
  • MelissaSel
    Options
    I am on day 2 of the 17 day diet, so i am no expert, but i really like the structure and think that it is a great way to detox my body of the too much sugar and foods that cause inflamation in the body. I would try it out. It is worth buying he book even to get the information. personally i think that if you want you can do these cycles in the book for wht ever amount of days you want. Lot of veggies lean meats yogurt 2 fruits a day and lot os water and green tea. I most like will not drink too much green tea, i just dont realy like it. Try it

I haven't read the book, so I don't know if there is anything against this... but I love green tea when it's mint, and cold. I buy celestial morrocan mint green tea, and use 3 tea bags of that and 3 decaf lipton bags. I also use one bottle of Metromint peppermint water. If you aren't familiar with metromint, it's purified water with pure mint extract, no artificial flavors or sweeteners or anything. The mint is so refreshing! I hope that is allowed on this plan : )
  • icandoit63
    Options
    Melissa
    I willhave to check that out becasue the one tea i do drink daily at night before bed is Mint tea :) Thank you!
  • EarthquakeZinGirl
    Options
    I am on day three of the first cycle. I've lost 4 pounds as of this morning--first time I've been below 170 in six months. I'm eating chicken, eggs, salads, lots of veggies, two fruits and two yogurts every day, along with green tea with each meal, and as much water as I can pack in. I'm having a hard time just getting to 1200 calories, it's so much food. I even snuck in a glass of red wine last night with my honey because it was my anniversary and I still lost weight.

I'm thrilled and not feeling the least bit deprived or as if I'm on some sort of fad diet. I'm also detoxing my body of sugars, white carbs, and processed foods. There are no carbs in this cycle, but the next cycle introduces them back slowly.

I highly recommend the 17 Day Diet.
  • kacc24
    kacc24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am on the first day and although the tile of the book is "diet" is doesn't sound like a fad diet but more of a structured detox. The book also provides lot of helpful info about why our bodies need certain things such as probiotics and why we shouldn't eat fruits after 2pm. It is really a simple plan and it seems that a lot of poeple have positive results and just learn a different way of eating all together. Here on MFP, you learn to count your calories, but this book and diet takes it a step further and provides more guidance on what you should eat and when.
  • icandoit63
    Options
    I am on day three of the first cycle. I've lost 4 pounds as of this morning--first time I've been below 170 in six months. I'm eating chicken, eggs, salads, lots of veggies, two fruits and two yogurts every day, along with green tea with each meal, and as much water as I can pack in. I'm having a hard time just getting to 1200 calories, it's so much food. I even snuck in a glass of red wine last night with my honey because it was my anniversary and I still lost weight.

I'm thrilled and not feeling the least bit deprived or as if I'm on some sort of fad diet. I'm also detoxing my body of sugars, white carbs, and processed foods. There are no carbs in this cycle, but the next cycle introduces them back slowly.

I highly recommend the 17 Day Diet.

I am on day 3 also and yes I am also finding it hard to get to 1200 calories, but i am eatting so much food . I have not had the green tea but have had some peppermint tea each night....I feel great!!!!!!!
  • MelissaSel
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, people! You are really giving me hope! I ordered the book (and workbook) on Monday and got it Wednesday! I am really looking forward to jumping in... so much so that I overloaded on carbs tonight... just for grins : ) Okay, stupid, I know! But, here we go! Some speed reading, a little grocery shopping, and here I go!

For anyone interested in the Metromint water, you can find it online at their website, metromint.com and most grocery stores carry it in the water section. It's wonderful in tea! Just one bottle in a 2 quart pitcher is plenty to make it minty and refreshing : )
  • icandoit63
    Options
    Day 6 going away this weekend and have found this "diet" easy easy to eat out, becasue you can get some really good salmon or chicken and i order 2 serving of veggies, and a salad soooooo much food :) scrambled eggs for breakfast yogurt fruit :)))) I have made it a habit to order salad with chicken for lunch if I go ou .....life is good!
  • Greenize123
    Options
    I tried the 17 Day Diet for 17 days only and, while it is a quick fix, you initially lose a lot of weight due to excess fluids. However, you put it straight back on again as the caloric intake for the first 17 days is minimal. It's a great diet if you are wanting to lose a few excess pounds or trying to get into an outfit for an oncoming occasion, but it is not a long-term remedy! I actually only wanted to lose 10lbs and I did. However, I put it all back on again as soon as I started eating normal and eating "normal" for me (a 56 year old woman having gone through menopause) is still watching my calorie intake. No way am I able to eat as I did in my 20's and 30's!!!! I also attend the gym 4 times a week and workout for 60-90 minutes. It's not easy. Now I am on weight-watchers and I find it much more agreeable, easy to maintain, enjoyable, and it makes me focus on what I am eating and in what quantities. I don't feel deprived and that is important for anyone on a diet. Good luck to you and I hope this helps.
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smeklc
    smeklc Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi. I went through 2 rounds of cycle 1-3 a year ago Feb. I lost from 174 to 136. Most of it was lost in 1st round. Then I ate close to cycle 3 and 4 most of the time mid summer until holidays 2011. I did gain and lose about 8 or so at that point to present. I went on a new round 17 days ago and lost almost 5 lbs. I will not follow C2 well on the 4th but I will adjust so I am not blowing the whole day out of water. I started this round at 139. My goal is 120 to 115.

This diet is restrictive in sense that you give up all processed food (think tv dinners and other things), bread and cereal group, reall good and really bad things (chocolate, cookies, cake), most dairy. But that is only C1, C2 you get to add in whole grains and such, C3 even more.

Some people do not make it through the first half of the C1. Some are able to go through 3+ rounds of C1 to C3 back to back.. (I was not able to) This is more a lifestyle change than diet. It does not work for everyone. Though he lost a lot, My hubby felt too restrictive and stopped after 1st round and half. He watched calories and did lose more gradually. Then he stopped exercising as much (sedentary and high stress job) Then he allowed portion control go a little out of control and he gained all back. The trick is to make it a lifestyle, you can not go back to what you used to eat. How much you need to lose and activity level will affect how much you lose at 1st, also how well you have been eating. If you have already cut out a lot of fat and sugar, the initial losses may not be as big as some people. Your loss will slow down the more you lose.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/212308-the-17-day-diet?page=20

the link to the topic is part one of 6. Most of the posters have dropped off, there is not much in posting these days. However. If you have the time to read, read through some of them. It shows successes, failures, questions/issues and suggestions. Some of the posters were in for the long haul, some reached their maintenance weight and stayed there. Also some recipie suggestions.

Good luck!!!!!