Running

Options
spa9177
spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
Any tips for running 9.3 miles in the heat? Well the race starts at 8am so the heat shouldn't be so bad. I keep wondering if I will be able to finish it in 2 hours. I know I can run 7 miles in an hour and a half, but I don't want to tire myself to where I won't be able to finish. I am doing the Boilermaker this Sunday. Is anyone out there participating in the race also? Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• rdzombak
    rdzombak Posts: 1
    Options
    Just be sure to stay hydrated and keep track mentally of how your body is reacting to the heat. If you are feeling seriously overheated or dehydrated, of course, stop; if it's not too bad, take 15-30 seconds or so to walk and allow your body to cool down a little. Having a slightly slower race time is better than a DNF due to fainting :P
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There's some great tips for running in the heat here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512826-running-tip-hot-weather-running?hl=running+hot

Good luck in the race!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    stay hydrated.. drink plenty of water and if the race provides gatorade definitely grab some as you run. It will help with the electrolytes.
    see how you feel and rest if you need to. Have you been running in this type of temperatures before?
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    A good thing to have during a run is a Camelback. It is great for staying hydrating during hot weather and is not that heavy. Just make sure to try and keep a steady pace and do not worry so much about time. It tends to change your speed a lot to vary for the time which wears you out.
  • blueraidermike
    Options
    Go to the race website and understand where the aid stations are...if they are every mile or mile and half just make sure you stop at each walk thru them and get a good drink - but do not over drink. Just realize in the heat you need to adjust your pace...have a great run.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    No tips, but your dog is crazy cute.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    As has been said hydration is key but start in advance of the race. You could take a cloth and soak it in a spare cup if water and use it to cool your head down during the run. A camelback is s great idea & have a rehydration ready when you finish (if you have friends with you at the end)

Remember it's much harder to run in the heat so slow the pace accordingly esp at the beginning & listen to your body. Enjoy & good luck
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Do you have a hydration belt so you don't have to wait for water stations?

I know some runners will say two hours is "nothing" but shoot, in the heat we've been having, you NEED to drink often.

Listen to your body, adjust your pace accordingly and if you feel sick by all means stop and catch your breath, etc.
  • sandrasturz
    Options
    Drink lots of water, walk if you need to and HAVE FUN!!!!!
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I suggest starting slower than your regular pace. Living in AZ I have seen about 1 minute on average added to my normal pace. I saw the same thing last year during the summer and when the fall hit and got cooler I immediately started shredding time off my average.

When I ran Saturday I started at a much slower pace and let me body guide after about a mile. I wanted to be sure to get used to the temp before let the body speed up.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Is 'wait til it gets cooler' a viable answer? :huh:
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I live in AZ, we've been over 100 for the last month and half. I usually run first thing (read 5am) in the morning, but when I do evening runs and its still over 95 degrees, its tough. I would say get a bandana or towel (or they make fancy neck wraps with beads in them) and soak it in water. Put it around your neck, it will help keep your core temp down, which helps with performance. When you run, your body feels 10-20 degrees warmer than it is outside, so keeping as cool as possible is important. Drink alot starting the night before and drink during the race.
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well, now that the race is over, how did you do? I ran yesterday too & I was slightly annoyed with trying to weave in & out of 14,000 runners.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Start slower
    take sponges and ice at the water stops
    water over the head

ice in the bra or the shorts (for guys) is awesome at dropping your core temp.
  • spa9177
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I took everyone's advice and the race went wonderful. I finished in the time frame I was hoping for. I finished in 2hrs, and was including using the bathroom. I did everything...started out at a slower pace, ice in the bra, and water over the head. Thankfully the weather was beautiful and wasn't any humidity, as there is now. There was a tremendous support from the fans and I am deffinetly doing another boilermaker next year. The race was absolutely rewarding and fun. I have never ran 9.3 miles before and I am hoping to sign up for the Empire State marathon in Syracuse. God bless. Please add me as a friend you guys are very encouraging and helped me out a lot. :smile:
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that you had a good run! This was my third Boilermaker & even though I thought it was a bit crowded, it still is the most fun race I have participated in. I could run 9.3 miles everyday if I had people to cheer me on the whole way :) I am also motivated to run for the Saranac beer at the post-race party. I have never heard of the Empire State Marathon...surprising, considering how close it is to me but that looks like it might be a fun one. I am registered for the Delta Lake Half Marathon in September.
  • spa9177
    Options
    That race was super FUN!! I know I deffinetly could run 9.3 miles everyday if I had a crowd like that to cheer me on too. Well good luck to you on your next run.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I ran my first boilermaker that day!! Glad you did so well. The weather definitely cooperated and I made sure to run under everyone's water hose :-) I finished in 1:37:31. Next stop - 1/2 marathon.
  • spa9177
    Options
    Me too! I ran through every water hose, and stuck ice down my bra. :laugh: Are running in it next year?
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Me too! I ran through every water hose, and stuck ice down my bra. :laugh: Are running in it next year?

LOL - I didn't think about ice down the bra! Right now I am planning on running it next year.... it's still a long way away, but I think I can swing it. I have family in the area which helps with my kiddos. My mom may run the 5k next year and maybe my brother can join me on the 15k next year. My children ran the kids race and had a blast! I thought everything was really well organized.