coffee????

Options
Ok, so the coffee at our house is just empty calories. i don't even enjoy it, but i want something warm in the morning. what do you all drink, and what do you put in it? i've realized the creamer is just a bunch of wasted calories, but still enjoy the taste

Replies

• 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Well, I do enjoy coffee. Black! But I do add a Benefiber - On The Go packet to get 3 grams of fiber. No taste change whatsoever. It dissolves instantly and helps me reach my goal of a minium of 30 grams of fiber daily.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Herb teas. Buy some with the fruit flavor you like.
  • cdkmlt
    Options
    I have never liked coffee but found the pyramid teas of lipton good for something hot and calorie free. I do add splenda to it though.
  • rlf58
    rlf58 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee. I add coffee-mate fat free cream. It's only 25 cals for a tbsp. and it makes the coffee taste great! I also add some splenda. Maybe you could try tea or chai in the morning since you don't like coffee. I don't drink tea but I hear it is very healthy.
  • tigger2009
    Options
    I love my coffee :drinker:
    But I can't seem to shake putting in the International Delight vanilla creamer. I don;t put sugar in it since the creamer has sugar in it. However, I have backed off on the amount I put in. Serving size is 2 Tblsp and I put in 1. And I drink 1-2 cups a day if that much. Maybe I should try the fat free half & half again. But then I want to put sugar in it. I don't use artificial sweetners as some can make me sick.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee every morning too, but I drink it black.
  • klybarger
    Options
    I'm a tea drinker - usually black tea with nothing in it. But I have discovered some flavored "red teas" (aka rooibos or bush tea). They are caffeine free and have a bonus of some minerals! Some you don't even need to add anything to because they have really good flavor. You should give them a try! Good luck!

PS - Been drinking the diet Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix (25 cals) with 1/2 packet of French Vanilla Splenda - very tastey!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I'll either have a cafe au lait (half coffee half milk) or tea (earl grey is my fave-no sweeteners needed)
  • tkain
    tkain Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love a warm cup of tea in the morning - decaf, no sugar/no creamer... :smile:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I also need my coffee in the AM. I do International Delights sugar free vanilla. One tablespoon in each cup.

It adds 30 calories, but it's worth it to me.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    If you're into tea at all, I would highly recommend Bigelow Vanilla Chai and Stash Chai. Wonderful flavors with or without any type of sweeteners!
  • curvygirl63
    Options
    I tried decaf coffee and I don't like tea.

I discovered that what I wanted was the warm liquid. I started drinking hot water with lemon and a little honey. That satisfies my craving for something warm in the morning and it really helps with regularity. It does take some getting used to but once you find your "taste" balance with the lemon and honey. It really is good.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Okay s0 - BEST DRINK EVER.

I swear this tastes better than anything I've ever had at Starbuck's, and its WAY better for you.

vanilla red rooibos tea (Tetlea does a nice job on this one)
    a splash of fat free vanilla soy milk,
    splenda to taste
    and cinnamon! pile it in there, and give it a good stir

=40cal, maybe, depending on how much soy milk you use.. probably less.

and when I want a treat I put some fat free coolwhip, or fat free vanilla ice cream on top, and psrinkle more cinnamon..

it is SO good.. I'm going to make myself one now :wink:
  • katejones79
    katejones79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a big coffee drinker! I can live without it, but it is one of the little pleasures (and one if the few that I have left food wise) . It is worth the calories for me. I also do brewed coffee with some fat-free coffee mate (no sugar), most days I have two cups. My trainer said it can actually be helpful for you to have a bit, it gives you more energy to exercise. I really don't think coffee is a make it or break it thing, unless you are getting latte's, frap's etc.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my life line, so this is the one thing I always allow myself, and I use real sugar, and Coffee mate cream, peppermint mocha is my absolute fave!!!! I don't use the fat free though, aspartame is starting to scare me..... and one tbls. of the regular is only 45 cals...so not too bad
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    I tried decaf coffee and I don't like tea.

I discovered that what I wanted was the warm liquid. I started drinking hot water with lemon and a little honey. That satisfies my craving for something warm in the morning and it really helps with regularity. It does take some getting used to but once you find your "taste" balance with the lemon and honey. It really is good.
    I've never tried it, but my grandma and my dad used to drink hot water, so I'd say you're in very good company. :flowerforyou:
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Love my coffee and I give up calories elsewhere so I can have my flavored creamer in it. I only drink one small 6 oz cup and that is the absolute one thing that I look forward to so I feel as long as I keep within my caloric range it's allowed.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    I cannot say no to the fresh coffee they brew where I live, but I take it black and try to drink it slowly. Warm milk is really comforting to me when I'm homesick, and when it's really cold out, I like hot water with a bit of lemon or lime and some cayenne pepper (to warm me up a little bit extra!)

I also live for tea! If you invest in good quality loose teas they're so flavorful that I've found you don't need to add anything at all to them, plus you get such a variety of selection that you can find just about anything to suit your tastes/needs. Certain teas, like Mate, have been said to be natural hunger suppressants, and are incredibly tasty to boot.

Check out:
    http://www.Teavana.com
    http://www.theteaemporium.com
    http://www.cargoandjames.com

It's great and convenient to shop online, but I also LOVE getting to a location so I can smell and try out what teas I'm going to buy!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I gave up on coffee in January after years of being a coffee fiend. Now in the morning I drink hot water with a wedge of lemon. In the evenings I have herbal tea
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I do like coffee, but I just hate all the empty calories I put into it myself using so much creamer. I totally didn't think of using a lower calorie, or maybe no sugar creamer. I do remember that using the flavored creamers, i don't need sugar, so that would cut out my splenda use.
    I'm off to the store later. Flavored creamer and some chai tea for me! thanks!