Protein, is too much bad?

Options
I noticed I'm "allowed" a certain amount, and when I went over, it went into red. Is going over a bad thing? I thought protein was really pretty good? I'm confused now lol. I got my protein from my lunch and dinner, grilled chicken, and a snack of plain greek yogurt.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Unless you are eating 2/3/4/5 times your recommend allowance don't worry about it.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Fault logged that the search function is either hidden or disabled.
  • jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    So strange, I was just wondering this myself today! Thanks for asking.
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    I had twice what I'm 'allowed'
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Unless you are eating 2/3/4/5 times your recommend allowance don't worry about it.

^
    Yup, what he said. LOL. Proteins have many functions other than rebuilding muscle tissue a strenuous workout. Proteins helps with enzyme and hormone synthesis, helps prevent fatigue, and so forth. Keep in mind MFP should be used as a guide, too. You may want to have your TDEE calculated and see what it says for protein intake says there. You may be surprised to see your protein intake set higher than MFP.

All in all, don't worry about it. If your are exercising at a high enough rate and are incorporating strength training then all should be good.

Add as a friend if you wish. I was a personal trainer for many years and would like to assist any way I can.
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I assume you're on the mfp default settings. Personally, I'm on 30% protein / 30% fat / 40% carbs, which seems to be a fairly popular spread around here and is far more realistic for me. If you want to change yours, go into goals on your homepage and adjust the settings manually.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Everyone's choices are different and there's loads of debate about this and every other eating issue on the forums! Personally I think MFP default settings for protein are very low. Protein's filling and satisfying, and it helps build muscle if you are exercising. I have reset my macros so that my goals are 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat and this is a fairly common profile. Low carb'ers go much higher on fat and protein, low-fat-ers much higher on carbs and very low fat.

I'm happy for my protein intake to be higher if it works out that way, but it's usually on target or a bit lower. I try not to exceed my fat intake target (averaged out). I try to meet or exceed my fibre intake (20g). With those targets set, my carb intake seems to look after itself, and is pretty much always under the target figure (unless I've had a chocolate fest, LOL).

All of which is really just a long way of saying that you have to work out what works best for you, don't be afraid to experiment, and remember that MFP is a tool for you to use and personalise, not a source of absolute truth.
  • daharja
    daharja Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hooo boy!

It's a hot topic in some circles.

I'm doing bodybuilding, and the common belief there seems to be be, the more you get the better. Peple seem to think that the more you consume, the more muscle you can grow.

But I've read that too much can put your kidneys under stress, and leach calcium from your bones. I've also read (and experienced) that high protein diets can cause very heavy periods for women, with bad cramps. And there's evidence to suggest that beyond a certain amount your body can't use any more and just converts the extra calories to fat stores anyway, like with any other macronutrient.

The GOOD thing about protein, and you've probably noticed it when you eat a meal with a big steak or big hunk of chicken or whatever, is that it is very filling. Your body registers it as filling. So a meal with a high %age of protein (but low fat protein) can be an effective way of getting full with comparitively low calories. Low protein meals just won't be as satisfying.

My view (and no, I'm not a dietician, I've just read a truckload of med journals and books) is that it's about balance. I've also messed around with my own meals a lot and found that (for me anyway) the best time to have protein is in the mornings for breakfast, because then I'm full for the rest of the day and my blood sugar / appetite seems more stable generally.

Finally, protein is found in most foods, not just meat. People think of protein = meat but that's not true, although meat is usually a good source. Beans and many grains are also terrific sources (quinoa is awesome!), and often have a better protein to fat ratio than a lot of meats, especially processed meats. Definitely eat your meat whole, and avoid processed foods like luncheon meats and sausages etc., and especially hamburger - they're more fat than protein in most cases.

*breathes!*

So yeah, balance. Oh, and a portion of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. That's it. Most people (and restaurants) eat waaaaay too much.

Cheers,

Leanne (bodybuilding just fine on meat 1-2 x a week)
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much bro-tein
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    there is such a thing as too much protein.... there's "rabbit starvation" - although you'd have to try to get nearly all your daily calories from protein to get this. Eating huge quantities of protein every now and then won't hurt. Much too much on a regular basis can cause some really serious problems and is potentially fatal. The Wikipedia article on rabbit starvation says that more than 200-300g daily is too much (i.e. the liver can't handle more than this) dunno how reliable the figures are, but rabbit starvation is real. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

If you stick within your calorie goals and include moderate amounts of healthy fats and carbs then you are unlikely to be eating too much protein, plus your body usually doesn't let you eat too much, as it's very filling.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options

^
    Yup, what he said. LOL. Proteins have many functions other than rebuilding muscle tissue a strenuous workout. Proteins helps with enzyme and hormone synthesis, helps prevent fatigue, and so forth. Keep in mind MFP should be used as a guide, too. You may want to have your TDEE calculated and see what it says for protein intake says there. You may be surprised to see your protein intake set higher than MFP.

All in all, don't worry about it. If your are exercising at a high enough rate and are incorporating strength training then all should be good.

Add as a friend if you wish. I was a personal trainer for many years and would like to assist any way I can.

I forgot to add this web article from Georgetown University:

http://www3.georgetown.edu/admin/auxiliarysrv/dining/nutrition/protein.html