am i just making excuses?

Options
ive been on weight watchers for over 10 weeks now and ive been on mfp for 2 years and finally i am following a plan which i think is working for me.

i am eating according to the weight watchers plan and ive started to take up jogging and honestly i feel my clothes are getting looser....

then why does my boyfriend say that im not trying hard enough and i need to be really strict for 2 months to see results? why cant he see how far ive come already? im finally at a place where i feel quite happy with my slow but gradual weight loss and hes not noticed it.

i dont want to do it military style and be miserable, i want to keep going at what i think is working for me and be happy. this isnt just a diet for me, its a lifestyle choice.

i dont want to hear anyone slag him off, he only ever has my best interests at heart, and no im not going to dump him or anything like that. he more than encourages me and makes me feel good about myself. he was purley giving me guidance.

Do you think i should be a lot more stricter on myself or just stroll along on this diet plan i have in place?

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If it works for you and you enjoy it, you'll have a healthy, sustainable lifestyle change, not a radical diet. It's just a difference in mind sets, some guys like to go at it all guns blazing. I'm a path of least resistance girl myself!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    ive been on weight watchers for over 10 weeks now and ive been on mfp for 2 years and finally i am following a plan which i think is working for me.
    That's a long time to finally figure something out. He knows you better than we do so maybe he has a point.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Its up to you.i personally love the hardcore boot camp style,but thats me,thats what keeps ME motivated.But your not me and your bF isnt you.That being said if slow and steady is your pace and you feel youll stick with it,then by all means do you.Remember its not about who starts the race but who finishes it!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You're the one doing it right. You are building gentle sustainable habits. Your bf is talking crap.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That's a man for you and that way would probably suit him but maybe wouldn't work for you. If what you are doing suits you carry on and ignore the BF. You need to find a way you can live with and suits you for the rest of your life. :flowerforyou:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Try it his way, it's only a few months. If it does not work, then say I told you so and go back to what you were doing.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Perhaps he sees you making food choices that he wouldn't make ...... ask him to give it some time ..... you're experimenting to see what works for you ......

If after awhile you don't like the results, you can always do it his way ...... or not .......

Best of luck !
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    If it works for you and you enjoy it, you'll have a healthy, sustainable lifestyle change, not a radical diet. It's just a difference in mind sets, some guys like to go at it all guns blazing.

^^ this exactly... maybe your bf is just trying to motivate you more by pushing you harder
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    He probably only said something if you complained or asked if he noticed and he didn't...idk. big changes get noticed but they are supposed to take a long time. You are doing fine you just have to stick with it. Many people didn't notice or comment on their own with my changes until I had been working on it for 4 months
  • tookie24
    tookie24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've heard somewhere it takes 12 weeks for everyone else to notice your weight loss. Even more so when it's someone you see frequently. When you see someone all the time or daily it isn't as easy to see the changes in someone. Just keep on the way your going as long as you are happy with your progress. And remember, gradual weight loss is more likely to stay off. :happy:
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your boyfriend is just giving some well-intentioned advice. Is it good advice? IF you're the kind of person who tends not to really follow through, or rely on the fact that your boyfriend loves you no matter what size you are, he may have a point. He may just be advocated a disciplined approach more than a hoo-rah weight-loss campaign.

That said, I'm a huge advocate of slow-and-steady. The progress made with the slow-and-steady approach tends to be be long-lasting if not permanent. Slow-and-steady requires its own discipline :-)