Headaches- Migraines

Has anyone ever experienced migraines of a different nature during the beginning of your life stye change? I had my first 3 aura migraine yesterday- blood sugar was fine as was my lood pressure.
Sleep has taken care of most of it. (I slept my planning period/lunch hour away on the floor in my classroom with my "corn" ice pack on my head and slept through at least one set of bells!):noway:

I am wondering what my body is missing to cause such a mind boggling migraine
:sad:

Replies

• BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Has anyone ever experienced migraines of a different nature during the beginning of your life stye change? I had my first 3 aura migraine yesterday- blood sugar was fine as was my lood pressure.
    Sleep has taken care of most of it. (I slept my planning period/lunch hour away on the floor in my classroom with my "corn" ice pack on my head and slept through at least one set of bells!):noway:

I am wondering what my body is missing to cause such a mind boggling migraine
    :sad:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Have you quit or cut back on caffeine?

Or sugar?

Upped your intake of artificial sweeteners?

Just some ideas. So sorry. This might be a question for the doctor.:flowerforyou:
  • BlackBeltLJ
    Caffeine- 4 weeks ago I went from 5 diet cokes to 2
    New Type II diabetic- no sugar just sweeteners- you may have found it already!

I go for my first nutrition lesson on Wed. I will check that one!:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I get terrible migraines if I overdo it on the nutrasweet. I find that if I have one diet coke every few days, it's OK, but anything more than that and WHAM.

Best of luck in getting to the bottom of it. Migraines are great robbers of your time and sanity.:flowerforyou:
  • BlackBeltLJ
    don't forget that they rob exercise- couldn't move much yesterday- today I have what I call the residue headache- aches but not the mind boggling pain:sick:
  • I am a terrible migraine sufferer...I take medication everyday to prevent them. Just about anything will do it for me. Skipping a meal, any type of artificial sweetner, allergy season. Make a log of what you ate and when also activity and how you were feeling before the migraine..take it to your doc.

I also get intense carb cravings as my aura..crazy. Nauseated and craving carbs. Then the inability to move for a day hinders the exercise like you say.

Good luck! Hope they get better quick for you.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    if u have increased ur fibre intake be careful of onions especially red ones and citrus fruit

i did exactly the same thing but the trouble with mygraine is it can be triggered by something you did a couple of days ago ...
    after a few days i figured some of it was low blood sugar cos i wasnt eatin regular enuf and was exercising, so i began to eat wraps for a snack and increased my carb intake .. after i few days i started addin red onion to my wraps and it triggered again.. and in a few days it happened again my doc then decided it was all of the above and the effects of detox due to the huge changes in my eating pattern..
    i cant eat chocolate :sad: and very little cheese espcially processed and white cheese so i put tiny shavings of it on my food so i can have a little fix
    and as everyone says watch sweetners and caffein and get a really good nights sleep each night

i also find swimming helps as its so relaxing :flowerforyou:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    There is a list of foods migraine sufferers should avoid that can trigger those headaches. I'll see if I can find it; but some of them are
    red wine
    onions
    hard aged cheeses
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Here is some info from the MAXALT website

For some, migraine may occur in response to particular events, foods, or changes in the body.
    These events are known as triggers.

Although recent evidence suggests that these triggers do not actually cause migraine, they can interact with the pain centers in your brain, potentially making you more vulnerable to attacks.

Some potential triggers are:

Certain foods (eg, red wine, aged cheeses, foods with nitrates, chocolate, MSG)
    Stress (most often after a prolonged period)
    Caffeine withdrawal
    Medications
    Skipping meals
    Changes in sleep patterns
    Menstruation or ovulation
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Diet pop and other foods filled with aritficial sweeteners trigger my migraines.
  • BlackBeltLJ
    Well I know what it isn't- I don't drink so it is not red wine and it is not my cycle because I don't have one.:tongue:
    Caffeine withdrawl- good possibility but I started that a month ago:ohwell:

The weather change might have something to do with it- the thunderstorm warnings are over us now- but we didn't have the weird weather yesterday sooo I guess the cause is stress- students are nuts (4 weeks plus finals from the end of school) paperwork , on top of trying to loose weight, eat right etc.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Let me tell you I use to get the worse migraines ever, and at times I just wanted someone to shoot me:sick: I use to have to keep Imitrex shots with me all the time. I will tell you one thing that you have to stay away from is any food with MSG in it. Which Chinese food is loaded with it. Stress, lack of caffeine when your use to having it and cut back on it. I don't get them hardly at all now that I have gone through the change of life. But I use to get them when it was that time of month the start of it and the end of it. It is something you should talk to your doctor about. Just in case it's not something more serious plus there are things you can take for it that will get rid of it in a few minutes and you can continue what your doing with out being sleepy. :flowerforyou: Another is allergies , it's that time of year and it can cause sinus headaches I take a shot once a year for that , usually the first of Spring. Got it in April. Another one that use to set mine off was people wearing purfume. Sounds weard I know but odors such as pine cleaners.
  • BlackBeltLJ
    You guys are great- you make me think and reason.:love:
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Here is some info from the MAXALT website

For some, migraine may occur in response to particular events, foods, or changes in the body.
    These events are known as triggers.

Although recent evidence suggests that these triggers do not actually cause migraine, they can interact with the pain centers in your brain, potentially making you more vulnerable to attacks.

Some potential triggers are:

Certain foods (eg, red wine, aged cheeses, foods with nitrates, chocolate, MSG)
    Stress (most often after a prolonged period)
    Caffeine withdrawal
    Medications
    Skipping meals
    Changes in sleep patterns
    Menstruation or ovulation

So very true. Migraines, unfortunately, have become a regular part of my life. Everyone one of those triggers listed, more often than not cause me major pain!:sad:
    It is best to check with your doctor for any potenially serious problems that may be causing them. After spending lots of time (and money) with doctors and nuerologist, test, scans, meds. (Relpax has been my best yet), I have been given a clean (if not pain free) bill of health. So now I have done a lot of research and am now trying a few natural headache preventatives. Let me know if you want the list, I'll search my email for it.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    (raising my hand) stress is my trigger...sigh

I'd love to see the list srb!!! if you don't mind!!!

hugs and hope you're feeling better LJ :flowerforyou:
    Ali
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    i read this book some while ago and its really helpful especially for working out the type of mgraine u have and the triggers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Migraine-Handbook-Definitive-Symptoms-Treatments/dp/0091816661/ref=pd_sim_b_img_4
  • BlackBeltLJ
    Well I would have said that I am better- then I took a three hour nap- sooo I am still recovering:happy:

actually I am feeling better- I think that many times my migrains are my body's way of saying "time out" slow down and take a moment for ME.
    I say that as my oldest is slamming the dishes around as he empties the dishwasher because He didn't want to.

:blushing:
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    I got these when I started hitting the gym hard...i wasnt drinking enough water and grinding my teeth when I would do heavy lifts...My doc gave me some pills but I try to avoid them. Just make sure your hydrated and your breathing when you do your workouts .
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    i got migraines and it turned out that without relaising it i was clenching and soemtimes grinding my teeth. I was fitted with a mouth splint that I have to wear if I'm concentrating really hard (and I wear it at night if i've had a stessful day) My migraines stoppped once I started using this.