Salad with chicken - recipes?

Options
Kelly043
Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
Does anyone have any good recipes for mixed salads (lettuce, etc) that include chicken and are not bland? Perhaps something mexican/taco related, but still good calorie-wise for MFP? I'm going to a party this weekend and would like to bring something that other people will enjoy and that will help me stick to my daily calorie limit. Thanks.

Replies

• jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not so much a recipe, but I find that if you use add-ins that are very flavorful, there is no need to mess up the nutrition of the salad with horrible dressings. I use baby greens, spring mix, raw bell peppers, sugar snap peas, bamboo shoots, mandarin oranges, almonds, tomato, cucumber. Lots of fiber, low in sodium, low in calories. If you are looking for something with a mexican twist add fresh made salsa rather than a dressing of some sort.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd bring it to a party because it's not very pretty but yesterday for dinner I had butter lettuce with quinoa and lentils and grilled chicken on top, with Newman's light balsamic vinaigrette and some blue cheese crumbles. It was delicious. Some grape tomatoes would make it prettier.
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a layered salad? Lettuce on bottom, a layer of grilled or baked shredded chicken (seasoned with low sodium taco seasoning), a layer of maybe kidney or black beans, a layer of sliced mini sweet peppers (I get them in a bag; red/yellow/orange), a thin layer of finely grated low-fat cheddar cheese. Definitely bring salsa on the side for topping instead of dressing. Maybe even a thin spread of nonfat sour cream between the chicken & beans.

Haha, I need to bring a salad next weekend to a potluck wedding reception...I think I may try this out!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just had a chicken salad for lunch! i grilled chicken tenderloins with some Mrs Dash garlic and herb seasoning. Used a spring mix salad and added grape tomatoes, red onion, chick peas, tomato basil feta cheese, chow main noodles, and balsamic dressing all for under 300 calories.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love grilled chicken sliced in strips over either baby spinach or hearts of romaine with shredded carrots, sliced fresh strawberries, crumbled feta cheese with a little balsamic and EVOO.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Fat Free, Low Cal Raspberry vinaigrette

Nuff said.
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Very simple but makes it more interesting. Try mixing some curry powder into low fat natural yoghurt and top your chicken with it. Also, a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar, and a small handful of sunflower seeds makes your salad less boring. Good luck x
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I love grilled chicken sliced in strips over either baby spinach or hearts of romaine with shredded carrots, sliced fresh strawberries, crumbled feta cheese with a little balsamic and EVOO.

I like that, too, with sliced almonds.
  • Kelly043
    Kelly043 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all of your responses! I will defintely give these a try. :smile:
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love chicken curry salad. It's not the lightest thing in the world for calories, but it is delicious!

Main:
    2 lb roasted chicken (I buy the pre-cooked ones and strip off the whole meat pieces like chicken breaset and thigh)
    2 firm bananas (just barely green) sliced into 1/4 inch slices
    2 cups purple or green seedless grapes - washed and halved
    1/2 cup coconut flakes
    1 head of romain, cut into small pieces
    Sauce:
    1/2 cup Lilly's Nonfat European Sour Cream (it's clean and only has 15 calories a serving)
    1/4 cup Light Mayo (I use the Best Foods with Olive Oil)
    about 2 tablespoons of curry powder

Get out two bowls - one large and one small.
    Chop up all of the ingredients except the coconut flakes into their respecitve sizes above.
    In the large bowl, throw in all of the main ingredients except the banana and coconut.
    In the small bowl, toss the banana and coconut together. The sticky banana shoudl get the coconut all wrapped around it. When done tossing, throw this on top of the mixture in the large bowl.

In the small bowl again, combine the ingredients for the sauce. You an add as much curry powder as you like. I add it until it is very yellow and flavorful, but not overpowering when I taste it.

Thow the sauce on top of the mixture in the large bowl and gently fold the sauce into the mix. You don't want to tear up the chicken, grapes or banana.

You can add small apricots, raisins or a cup of cashews if you like. I LOVE thsi salad with cashews. It's wonderfully crunchy.
    Try to Find the Lilly's Sour cream if you can. It's really thick and takes the place of most of the mayo the recipe I modified this from called for.

I hope you like it!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Please forgive my misspellings. Apparently I can't live without Spell Check. :-)
  • sophia5_k
    sophia5_k Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Today I had one of the best salads I've had in a long time. You cut up chicken breast sautee it in olive oil and add mushrooms and bell peppers, then after its done cooking add a taco seasoning mix and put it on a bed of greens of your choice ( I did baby spinach) the dressing is salsa and light sour cream if you choose. My salad was about 300 calories with skim mozzarella and full fat sour cream.