Coconut oil... Quinoa... I went health food shopping?

Options
Bumdrahp
Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
SO..

I really don't know how to think outside the box. I keep hearing all these wonderful things about Chia seeds, Quinoa, and coconut oil... Now.. wtf do I do with them??!

HELP!.. I honestly don't know what to make with any of them, or do with it.. I keep googling recipes but I feel lost.

Replies

• Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    paleomg.com has some amazing recipes!!!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Marksdailyapple.com
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think the brand of coconut oil makes a big difference. I use Nutiva organic coconut oil and it tastes just like coconut. SOme brands have no flavor. I put it on pasta with fresh sauteed garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. I add it to tea and the other day I put it on top of toaster waffles (like eggos) instead of butter or margarine then put syrup on top. I've added it to canned green beans...drain the green beans and add a 1/2 T. of coconut oil to the bottom of the pot, then warm the beans, oil and a sprinkle of garlic powder together.

Ive only had Quinoa once. I used it like couscous. Flavored it with green onions, garlic and some chicken broth
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    you can use quinoa as a rice substitute. I like it.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    you can use coconut oil for anything you use regular oil with. Sautee etc. I LOVE a grilled cheese using coconut oil instead of butter.
  • greenjessie
    greenjessie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A pinch of curry powder in the coconut oil if you're sauteeing something is nice!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa as a side dish/rice substitute, since I'm not a big fan of rice. I cook it using low sodium chicken (or beef) broth instead of water to add a little more flavor...then some pepper...DONE.

I'm not familiar with coconut oil so I cannot offer any personal experience.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    The coconut oil I bought is " spectrum" organic coconut oil.. smells like nothing, no Idea how it tastes..I have heard of people using quinoa on salads? just sprinkle it on?
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite recipe for quinoa (so far)... Quinoa Tabbouli

1 cooked serving of quinoa
    Sliced grape tomatoes
    1 Tbsp of lemon juice
    1/2 Tbsp of olive oil
    1 cup of parsley (I'm guessing on how much parsley, I didn't measure it, could be less)
    Variety of cold chopped veggies (ex: carrots, onions, bell peppers, cucumbers, olives)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Assemble. Refrigerate. Serve cold.

(I eat the whole thing by myself!)
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    stir fry veggies in the coconut oil and serve over the quinoa (which cooks just like rice). This is the most basic option. But really just have fun searching for recipes. There's hot cereal, energy bars, cold salads. Chia seeds are magnificent. Read about how to make chia pudding or overnight oats. Or they are nice in smoothies. And try this: http://www.yumuniverse.com/2012/05/07/almond-chai-quinoa-chia-breakfast-cereal/
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Are any particular chia seeds better than another?! There is a few different colors, white, brown, black.. I hear different things about all of them..some say black has more antioxidants..others say they are all the same.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You need to cook quinoa before you eat it, so you cant just sprinkle it on salads. It's a bit like couscous.
  • jessjpjb
    jessjpjb Posts: 38
    Options
    do you know what the calories would be per serving?
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I make my quinoa in the rice cooker. While it is cooking, I take a large bowl and mix in cooked, cubed chicken (usually left over from dinner the night before), chopped artichoke hearts, chopped red onion, cannellini beans, cherry tomatoes, some lemon juice and feta cheese. When the quinoa is done, I stir it into the mixture in the bowl. If I eat it right away, it's a nice, warm one dish meal. If I stick it in the fridge, it doubles as a tasty cold salad. You could easily eliminate the chicken to lighten it up for a nice side dish as well. I bet some lightly sauteed summer veggies would go well in it, too. It's become my go-to easy summer dish.
  • simatif
    simatif Posts: 32
    Options
    I make a quinoa salad for lunches every week. I just prep the quinoa, toss in veggies, garlic, cilantro, onions, and some lemon and oil. And for Chia, I just use ground black, and put a TBSP in my morning smoothie. Dont let it sit too long tho, is makes your smoothie thicken up fairly quickly.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle chia seeds on anything! They don't really have a taste, add them to salads, steak, seriously it doesn't matter! I have black, you don't need to grind them either.

Quinoa- Add cinnamon and sugar for a yummy breakfast! (tiny bit of sugar). ;).

Coconut oil, if you drink coffee, just add it to your coffee and enjoy the heaven!
  • BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil makes a wonderful facial moisturizer also :)
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Can I piggyback and ask what to do with flax seeds? I bought a bag last week (prob for the same reasons as the OP) and have no idea what to do with them now.