How can I kick the habit....

Options
I am addicted to bread and cheese!!!! uuughhh!! its like if i didnt care at all about my weight I would seriously consume as much bread and cheese at each sitting as i possibly could! and i KNOW my love of that stuff is at least 3/4 of my problem!

i need to kick the habit! can u actually be addicted to certain foods???

Replies

• weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to bread and cheese!!!! uuughhh!! its like if i didnt care at all about my weight I would seriously consume as much bread and cheese at each sitting as i possibly could! and i KNOW my love of that stuff is at least 3/4 of my problem!

i need to kick the habit! can u actually be addicted to certain foods???
    Cold Turkey, just stop

Or you could just eat cold turkey lol

Seriously though, keep it as a treat, research some healthy bread and some lower fat cheeses and you can still have it, just not morning noon and night.

I stopped dead for two weeks and now it is my snack in the evening if I have calories left
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    Well if you are going to get bread, get 100% whole grain. Its much better for you and for cheese, find the best nutritional one you can and just try to limit yourself.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Also, try to avoid bread at night, during the day is safer for you.
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    Throw out all the bread and cheese in your house, and when going to the store, don't go in the aisle where they sell it.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    You sure can be escpcially bread. Wheat is so genetically modified that it's properties spike blood sugar thus making them addictive.

Personally I just decided that being healthy and happy ment more to me than being addiced to bread.

I have cheese occasionally but not often as I hate the amount of fat it adds to my diet. I'd sooner consume healthy fats from avocado and nuts than the ones in cheese.

Again, it just comes down to deciding what's important to you!
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Either find healthy alternatives, or just stop. I'm a carb junkie myself, and for me it had to be cold-turkey to stop the addiction, and then gradually adding back in the right kinds of carbs. Maybe start making your own 100% whole grain high-energy breads? When I'm in a bread-and-cheese mood, i tend to spread a little soft goat cheese on a slice of Ezekiel bread; It's just sinful enough to satisfy the craving.
  • BryanK1977
    BryanK1977 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love bread and cheese, too. I buy light wheat bread (35 calories per slice compared to 70 of normal wheat) and fat free cheese slices (30 calories per slice compared to 70 for American). That alone kills 110 calories per sandwich and allows me to have more to eat when I want it.
  • Jenniferrose194
    Jenniferrose194 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're working out then the bread really isn't all that bad for you! Just make sure you're getting the whole grain kind, but if you're exercising regularly, your body needs those carbs for energy.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'll have to say. . . being committed to recording everything in my food diary is very motivating to me. If I don't want to see a boatload of calories recorded for 5 minutes of pleasure, I just don't eat it. And if I'm not going to eat something, I don't buy it. That said, I am committed to better eating for life, so make sure that everything that goes in my mouth is something I enjoy and look forward to. Oh, that baked apple and cinnamon is calling my name. . . just like apple pie, but 83 calories. :)
  • janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and weigh the cheese, an ounce or two of cheese can be really stisfactory, and get good bread to go with it. Why deny yourself? Portion control, that's where it's at--
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am a bread person also. I would just as soon have a bagel than a candy bar. For me, I just can't have it in the house, at least for now. I agree with a previous post that talks about adding it back in gradually. If you find yourself losing control of it again then get it out of the house again.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Anything with carbs can be addictive. The more you eat it the more you want it. It is a viscous cycle. If you can the best thing to do is cut your danger foods out completely. When you feel stronger and feel you are in more control of your eating addictions you can try adding them back in in small quantities. You may find that you just have to eliminate them for good.
  • scamberlous
    Options
    I totally agree when it comes to the food diary/seeing what you consume. The more you log your calories and pay attention to what your consuming, the easier it becomes, I promise! You'll start making better decisions and going for the more healthy choices. I have also switched to making my own bread and using whole wheat flour in place of regular flour. Not only is it better for you, but it keeps you fuller longer too!
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    If you're working out then the bread really isn't all that bad for you! Just make sure you're getting the whole grain kind, but if you're exercising regularly, your body needs those carbs for energy.

exactly ^^
  • Jason67o48
    Jason67o48 Posts: 87
    Options
    Lots of good advice in these replys. My approach to the bread / chees situation > Not so much cold turkey but I definately eat way less bread in the last month and in the last two weeks have ate 0 bread although the bread I do eat when I choose to is made by "Silver Hills" -steady eddie bread or squirley bread-

As far as cheese gos... I do still eat cheese but its always low fat and I just dont eat alot of it.. small smiple portions.

Best approach? Depends on you killing the craving with something else and treating it like a treat.
  • htrail1979
    Options
    Try Ezekiel bread I think you'll like it! I tried it and have not been able to go back!!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    josephs flax pitas/lavash bread is really good.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Anything with carbs can be addictive. The more you eat it the more you want it. It is a viscous cycle. If you can the best thing to do is cut your danger foods out completely. When you feel stronger and feel you are in more control of your eating addictions you can try adding them back in in small quantities. You may find that you just have to eliminate them for good.

ah i love this post!

cutting out carbs has really changed my life.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me to give up some stuff as well, but I found alternatives... For me, I buy the portion controlled cheese and only eat one... I have opted out of bread and just have wraps or pitas.... Could you find a better alternative? or really in the end, moderation!! This is a lifestyle change not a diet, so you need to find a solution that you can stick with...and if that means not giving it up, just be conscious about how much you eat...
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    it's really about portion control! i buy the spreadable laughing cow cheese, it's like 35 cals a wedge, and very yummy!

i love bread. i buy the 50 calorie a slice wheat bread. i eat toast most mornings, so yummy with strawberries run through the food processor.

this is a lifestyle change, there is NO reason to give up all the good stuff, that's how you FAIL. just learn how to eat it smart, stay in your calorie goal..... and ENJOY!

i have lost 33 pounds in 4 months, and i eat LOTS of carbs.... bread, potatoes, muffins (i LOVE muffins)