Late night snacking

Options
Hello all!

I have a bad habit of snacking at night after dinner and I don't know what to do to kick the habit. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

I appreciate the help :smile:

Lisa

Replies

• sharont81
    sharont81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do pop corn, plain. I know not exciting. I would love to know what others do. I crave chocolate.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Chew Gum!
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    at least snack on good things if you have to. if all else fails, brush your teeth. nothing tastes good after that.
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You could also brush your teeth when you are done eating for the day - after dinner or after your evening snack. Things don't taste as good after you've brushed your teeth and it might help to signal to yourself that you are done eating for the day!
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I have a bad habit of snacking at night after dinner and I don't know what to do to kick the habit. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

I appreciate the help :smile:

Lisa

Popcorn - good source of snacking without the loads of calories. Use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray (zero calories) and for goodness sakes, do NOT add salt. (You get used to the no salt.)

Also, salads with the crunchy lo mein noodles do well. One ounce goes a long way with a large salad.

Good luck to you - this used to be my biggest downfall before I began going to yoga.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my after dinner snacking, so I can't help you kick it. The snack depends on the calories I have left in my day. I love air-popped popcorn, dark chocolate chips, yogurt, peanut butter cheerios (dry), mini rice cakes (caramel is my fav), etc etc. I also eat Skinny Cow truffle ice cream bars, hummus and cucumbers, or fruit. It all depends on what I want or how much I have left in the day.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Whatever you do.... plan it out ahead of time..... I keep sugar free pudding around
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Take an extra walk to burn up enough calories to eat your snack. I don't believe in depriving myself of a snack like toast with peanut butter or popcorn with a glass of cranberry juice, cereal, whatever. I don't think it's about giving up treats or good food, I believe it is more about earning/burning the calories so we can eat what we like while still losing weight. If we fill in our diary, we know what we can eat and still lose weight, and we know how many extra calories we've earned by exercising;)

I am not talking about junk foods though. But you can budget for them as well. I like to have pizza once in while so I burn a few more calories so I can eat it guilt and worry-free;) No pukers but I like a mcdonalds gut bomb once in awhile although I am talking a rare once in awhile. As I get into an active lifestyle, I want junk less and less. Pizza isn't junk though imo, it's just full of calories but actually, can be very healthy:)

Nothing wrong with snacks, it's more becoming less sedentary. That's just my opinion;)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I keep fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, string cheese, nuts, popchips, and popcorn (for an air popper) around for snacking. It's difficult for me to go too far eating those foods.

One trick is to set aside an amount of food you consider acceptable and eat that. If you want more, wait 30 minutes. If you're still hungry after 30 minutes, eat more. I've yet to go back for seconds using this technique!
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your daily calorie limit, it should not matter that you take in some of your calories "late night".
  • ew513
    ew513 Posts: 35
    Options
    I freeze grapes in a zip lock baggie. Then I just pull them out and pop them in! Tastes like candy :):happy:
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    fresh Fruit, low fat cereal with skim milk (example: Kroger wheat puffs), frozen fruit with fat free whip cream.
  • rhonda_does_life
    rhonda_does_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try just going to sleep, that works for me. Or do something to keep your mind and hands busy.

Or just... keep some low-cal snacks around. Everyone's made some great suggestions. :)
  • priddy_girl
    priddy_girl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself. Plan your snacks ahead. Go ahead and put an evening snack in your diary first thing in the morning, that way you can adjust throughout the day and will keep from going over!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I freeze grapes in a zip lock baggie. Then I just pull them out and pop them in! Tastes like candy :):happy:

^^^^^^ This - and also

Half cup frozen blueberries with 2 tablespoons of yoghurt
    Half a frozen banana (take skins off before you freeze them) sliced thinly, and couple of tablespoons of yoghurt
  • lukesgal15
    lukesgal15 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner earlier and still indulge in a late night snack. I will do popcorn for something salty, and for something sweet I usually have (2-3) tbs of Jello pudding make with FF milk and 1 tbs. of FF cool whip.
  • irisheyes42us
    Options
    My recent go to snack is mini rice cakes. They come in sweet and salty flavors. Caramel, chocolate, cheddar, ranch, etc. Around 100 calories and satisfying. I have to say snacking is my thing~
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    I agree with the others. Something low calorie like popcorn, without loads of salt/butter, or veggies (like carrots) or fruit! That is okay. To avoid it all together, I pick up a book and read until I fall asleep.
  • jenlocicero
    jenlocicero Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero frozen desserts. 37 calories per half cup. The whole pint is only 150 cals. Or Walden Farms calorie-free chocolate spread. When refrigerated, it's like pudding.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I have healthy snacks, it's just sometimes it's harder for me to limit my amount of snacking at night time. But thanks for the replies. I will definitely consider everyone's suggestion :)