I'm always over my sugar and protein intake. ???

Options
All i eat is one banana and one pitted date and I am over my freaking sugar intake. If I don't have my morning banana I get cramps so I really don't want to give it up.

Is it really a big deal weight or health wise to be over my sugar intake by 10-20?

I mean, I am getting it from whole and natural sources for crying out loud.

Also is it bad to have too much protein? I'm over by 40 today.

Replies

• deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am always over on either sugar or sodium or both.....
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    I usually try to get over 100 on the protien, everyday.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i eat 150-200g protein on an average day. no it's good to go over on protein. try eating less fruit and more veggies.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The recommended protein intake in MFP tend to be quite low. It is a good thing to be going over on your protein. I shoot for close to 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I eat an obscene amount of veggies and only 1.5 servings of fruit.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm always over my sugar too so I just ignore it since I've still lost weight! Being over on protein isn't necessarily a bad thing so I wouldn't worry about it. I think mfp's protein setting is a little low anyways!
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't think the sugar intake narrows it down. I think if you're getting your sugar from natural substances as opposed to high fructose corn syrup or granulated sugar, than I am sure you're good. As for protein: protein is what helps build and repair muscle (as does potassium) So if you work out a lot and use muscles you don't normally use, than that is exactly what you should be doing. I say, "Good Job!"
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'd rather be over in protein than sugar.

you could always change the amounts.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine. If that's all of the sugar you are eating, you're fine. I know some would argue with this, but I worry more about added sugar than natural occurring sugar.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I set my protein to over 150 and my sugar to around 85. It seems high, but I have so much naturally occurring sugar in my diet that my added sugars don't amount to much.
  • ahelsel1970
    ahelsel1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    eat something else high in potassium but lower in sugar.

let me know how it works out.
  • Kalona388
    Kalona388 Posts: 82
    Options
    I always subtract any natural sugar from fruit and just make sure that any other sugar is under the recommended amount. I know there is a lot of debate on this, but I personally feel that the benefits from fruit far outweigh any of the sugars they hold.
  • paytruhh
    paytruhh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fruit and it's super healthy so I hardly ever even track it anymore. The way I look at it, if I'm over my sugar by eating candy or drinking soda, that's not good. But if all my sugar is from natural, organic fruit then I'm going to eat all the fruit I want.
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    if you get cramps from not having a banana take a potassium supplement along with a magnesium supplement. Its the potassium in the banana that keep you cramp free. Also add more water. MFP sets our protein way low so don't ever feel ashamed at going over, its a vital Amino Acid, altho watch your fat intake, its the fat in the protein that causes High Cholesterol
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The recommended protein intake in MFP tend to be quite low. It is a good thing to be going over on your protein. I shoot for close to 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight.

Yup, s'wot I aim for too. Sometimes more than that if I'm exercising and especially if I'm stressing the muscles in some meaningful way (lifting heavy things for example, doesn't happen often ;)).

Sugar? I generally treat fruit like dessert, don't eat much out of a packet and have cut out grains, I don't have an issue with excess sugar and I don't crave it. Not like I used to when I HAD to eat regularly or I'd go nuts ... snack, snack, snack ...

I'm shooting for 30g to 50g of carbs a day and not much of that is sugar, although it all ends up as glucose in the end ...
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Being over in both is not a big deal. The biggest thing is that getting healthy works differently for everyone. Do you feel well with the food you're eating? If so, keep it up! Are the foods you're eating making you feel bad? Then adjust it! I'm over most of my levels daily and the weight is still going away at a steady pace! I also like few veggies and LOVE fruit!