Bread and Diary Diet

Options
What is the best way to wean yourself off of eating too much bread and diary? I've tried going cold turkey but it was SUCH a fail! But for the past 2-3 weeks or so, I've been gradually trying to eat less of it and have seen the increased energy from not consuming alot and even a sudden weight drop. But I want to be consistent. I grew up off of bread and diary for God's sakes, though. So I guess my question is, is eating it in moderation the best way to eliminate the amount I eat? I want to cut at least 35-50% of it out of my diet. Am I being realistic? I am also strength training a couple days a week with my exercise routine and I know I need protein to build muscle (favorite protein is boiled eggs) so I need a balance. Are there any effective and affordable protein alternatives I can eat in substitute? Not a huge fan of the powder protein..I prefer the food-y kind

Replies

• orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey, if you get through the first week is easier and easier, and then it comes to a point when you don't crave it anymore.

I have gotten awesome results by cutting dairy and processed carbs
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What do you eat in the way of dairy? Are there specific dairy items you want to cut out, or dairy in general? If it's milk, you could switch over to almond or coconut milk instead.

Trying to think of what dairy I eat - not a whole lot since I quit eating junky cereal for breakfast every day. :tongue: I still eat cheese & Greek yogurt.

But I haven't given up either bread or dairy completely so not sure I'm much help.
  • Bilbobradshaw
    Bilbobradshaw Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Haaa. Hi.

First off, EFFYEAH to boiled eggs (they account for 90% of the animal products I eat).

For me, cutting bread out entirely at first (for 9 months) helped a lot--not all grains, just specifically breads. I also cut out milk (by opting for soy or almond) and cheese (on most salads, sandwiches and pastas) for 9 months and replaced them with hummus or grilled tofu in most cases. After that, I didn't crave them as much.

I occasionally have a piece of toast in the morning (almost never sandwiches. I'll opt for a lettuce wrap if I'm really craving a sandwich), and have cheese at least once a day (because I'm moving toward a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle), but I can almost guarantee that just cutting them from your life if the way to go.

If you're looking for protein, beans are a great way to go (edamame, garbanzo and black beans are my favorite), as well as low fat cheeses (such as fat free cottage cheese). Additionally (and this is weird), I REALLY like eating baby food// baby rice cereal for iron, b12, and other minerals that I need but don't always get from my regular diet.
  • towsongrad
    towsongrad Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! Gonna try these alternatives asap