2 weeks of holidays/out of country. Scared of set back!

Options
I've always had problems with my weight. I'm an emotional eater and go on huge binges when I'm not doing well. For the past month and a half I've finally been able to control this, I'm working out 5-6 days a week, weights and cardio. I've been controlling my calories and nutrients. I'm zigzagging right now, both carbs and calories .next month I'm gonna be away from home for Two weeks and I'm so scared to lose all my progress. I know I won't be able to be as strict as a I am now with my diet, I don't wanna let other people know I'm watching my calories so closely, I hate the comments and I know I can't just say no to every high calorie meal. I'll try to control my diet as much as I can, try and choose the best of the worst but I'm worried about working out. I've gained a little but of muscle, I'm actually really proud of it and I don't know what to do not to lose it. Going from training hard to not training at all wil shock my body big time, that plus the food could end up in disaster.. Should I try come up with a routine? Maybe squats and sit ups and whatever? Hopefully I can get some advice from you guys. Thanks a lot.

Replies

• AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I think having a plan in place can only help... Be sure to walk every day at the very least, you can always say that you are exploring the sights. Load up on veggies and fruits and lean meats, no one needs to know that you are watching your cals, at the end of the meal when dessert comes you just say "OMG I am soooo full, I can't even think about it!" No matter what tho it's 2 weeks. Even that long a time frame doesn't need to break you, it only will if you allow it too. Good luck and enjoy your time away, just be mindful of what you are doing :flowerforyou:
  • forgetregret
    forgetregret Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    (: thank you so much. I'll try and stay positive and be mindful of what I do.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I went on a 2 week overseas vacation at the beginning of the year, back home to South Africa, after being away for 7 years, I was really looking foreward to some food from home!

I had a 15 min workout that I did in the morning (10 pushups, 20 sit ups, 10 burpees and a few planks) and then we walked ALOT as well. I ate all my happy foods, drank copious amounts of liquor, and came back 4lbs up. I lost that in 2 weeks after getting back (most of it was water weight due to alcohol).

My advice? Enjoy every minute of your vacation, but MAKE SURE YOU GET BACK ON TRACK AFTERWARDS!! :)
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    Amber had some great advice! Definitely load up on the healthy options first and then wait a bit to see if you have any room for sweets - you probably won't!

If you're staying in a hotel with a gym/pool you can always squeeze in some "me" time in the mornings or evenings every other day to get some cardio in. If you have your own room with space enough to do jumping jacks and push-ups you can do this routine (just lay down a clean bath towel first):
    100 arm circles (50 per arm)
    30 jumping jacks
    30 chair-dips
    50 crunches
    25 leg lifts (each leg)
    50 bicycles
    25 squats
    15 sumo squats
    50 calve raises
    15 push-ups
    1 minute plank

None of those exercises require any real gym equipment and all of these can be performed in a standard hotel room, provided you have enough space for jumping jacks and push-ups.

Just remember, it's only 2 weeks and you'll be on vacation, so have some fun!! You've already made progress and two weeks can certainly put a pause on your progress, but it doesn't have to end your progress.

Have a great holiday!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm going out of the country for three weeks in August and I'm definitely feeling the pressure too.

The best thing we can do is do our bests. I currently run as my workout and I plan on running each morning just like I do here. I don't know what you currently do for your workout - but you should definitely come up with a modification or create something to takes its place if you can't modify it.

Who are you staying with? I am staying with family and I'm traveling with my mom and she knows how hard I have been working so I've asked her to keep an eye on things and try to help me out (and she is also native to the country we are visiting so she has a better understanding of the foods).

That being said, while you are on vacation and surely want to enjoy yourself somewhat - it doesn't mean you should blow all your progress and hard work out of the water. If you put in the effort and maintain your dedication you will be able to survive the two weeks with little or no real weight gain.

Best of luck!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I had a great weeks holiday (vacation) and lost 4lbs, then had a fab long weekend at a music festival and lost a 1lb - I had some treats, I had some alcohol, I recorded my food and exercise diary and walked as much as possible. You can have a great time and still avoid setbacks. Opt for tomato sauces not creamy ones on pasta, have coffee for desert, go for salads with no dressing.
    Good luck, keep us posted - You can do this :)
  • forgetregret
    forgetregret Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Late reply! But thank you so much for your advice, I'm gonna start planning but I'll enjoy myself too, all I really have to do is stay out of that to hell with everything mentality once I start eating. A pound or two I can lose when I'm back but I'll still try to eat clean when I can.