Get More Iron in Your Diet

Options
SO guys. I'm not a big meat eater (or a big eater in general, really), and I sometimes really struggle to get enough iron into my diet (I am anemic, so this is an important issue for me). I've tried taking iron supplements, but they'd always wind up giving me heartburn and I feel uncomfortably bloated. But I've discovered a kind of bizarre solution that I'm going to share with you.

And it's baby cereal.

Most of us are adults here, and this is probably going to sound hell of gross to many of you, but 7-8 table spoons of that mushy cereal **** you feed babies can have up to 90% of your daily iron needs (this is because infants need a lot of iron--nearly as much as adults). Additionally, you can get about 60% of your daily recommended dose of vitamin B12 (also something I struggle to get enough of) from a serving of this stuff. It's low fat, low sodium, and relatively low cal for the amount of minerals you get, and the best part about it is that it hasn't made me feel ill in any way whatsoever.

If you're a vegetarian (sorry, vegans, but a lot of these cereals seem to contain milk powder), anemic, or just looking to get more iron into your diet, I sincerely recommend trying this. Yeah, it's baby food, but you can mix it in to oatmeal or something so that you feel less insane. It's just a really good way to get the iron you need without eating a bunch of meat or downing kale by the pail (which I do anyway, but still).

So. Yeah. Long rant about baby cereal.

Replies

• towsongrad
    towsongrad Posts: 39
    Options
    I'll try almost anything once, so I may just try this lol BUUUTT I'm probably gonna mix it with my oatmeal, haha