Why do I keep losing weight?! HELP!

Options
I used to be anorexic and would restrict my calorie intake to as little as 500 a day, although usually more like 1000. However, in a strange turn-of events I caught pneumonia recently & kept loosing weight, my heart's been beating much faster then it used to, making easier activities like walking a short distance feel much more tedious, and exercise out-of-the-question. (I'm 5'5.5, female, and only about 100 pounds) I began noticing my weight dropping substantially all-of-a-sudden, so I stopped caring, I'm still sick, and while eating normally I was still losing, so I began to increase, and I'm currently consuming between 3 and 5 thousand calories a day, and still keep loosing weight! I'll weigh myself, eat some potatoes, bananas, peanut butter, yogurt, cheese, anything calorie-dense but healthy that comes to mind, and a lot! Then I'll weigh myself hours later, without even going to the bathroom, and weigh less! Where's it even go?! & how is this happening?! Does anyone have any ideas!!??!!

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer but believe you should probably see a physician.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I read a post recently by someone who said this was happening to them and they had Celiac's disease. There are many reasons, though, you DEFINITELY need to see a physician. If you're eating 3000-5000 and are still losing you need to find the answer!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    any before and after pictures?

i would see a doctor like previously suggested.
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have read that people in recovery from anorexia sometimes need loads and loads of calories as their bodies work to repair the damage it caused. I'm sorry, I don't have the source. I would say a trip to the doc is in order. Good luck.
  • ahelsel1970
    ahelsel1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    could be worms?? do a flush
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    is the scale working properly?
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    could be worms?? do a flush

NO NO NO!!!!! Go see a doctor...thyroid goes both ways, Celiac and other GI diseases could be causing this!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a thread like this a couple of weeks ago. She said she got down to around 75 lbs before doctors figured out she has celiac disease, so the things she was eating that she thought were healthy were actually making her sick. Could something similar be happening to you? Please, go to a doctor ASAP.
  • rellnor
    rellnor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Possibly hyperthyroidism (graves disease). I was in my mid 20's when diagnosed. I had a resting heart rate 100-120 bpm and could pack away the food like crazy and not gain. Agree, see a doc.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Please see a dr...best of luck to you hun!!!!!!
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    yeah, I wouldnt be screwing around on a public forum with that... see your doctor!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I read a post recently by someone who said this was happening to them and they had Celiac's disease. There are many reasons, though, you DEFINITELY need to see a physician. If you're eating 3000-5000 and are still losing you need to find the answer!

I thought the same thing. OP you should go see the doctor so they can help you figure it out.
  • missgx3
    missgx3 Posts: 10
    Options

I just Google'd that condition and all those symptoms sound much like what's been going on with me! The irony is I hate it because I'm at a point where I'm trying to gain weight, I'm still a teen, and I'm trying to grow my "curves" now that I've gotten the waist I'm pleased with, but I seem stuck in eternal-youth now! x( I really appreciate this information & will certainly suggest it my next visit to the doctor! I also have a very good scale, yes, working completely-right.

& I would post pictures but in all honesty I'm rather ashamed to own up to all this, just in need of assistance & I'm not trying to expose my identity to the public :x
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Goodness, I'd go see a doctor. My first thought was a parasite of some sort, but I don't know much about that stuff... get yourself in to be seen!
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Most certiantly go see a Dr. GI issues are not something you want to mess with. I'm a psych nurse now but spent 6 years in medical surgical nursing and let me tell you from experience....when crap in your stomach goes awry....it ain't cool. I'd rather loose a limb than have stomach issues, especially one's that requier surgery. Go get this checked out ASAP. You don't want to wait until it's too late to be proactive about a solution!

Good luck! Fingers crossed for ya!
  • missgx3
    Options
    Possibly hyperthyroidism (graves disease). I was in my mid 20's when diagnosed. I had a resting heart rate 100-120 bpm and could pack away the food like crazy and not gain. Agree, see a doc.

My resting heart rate lately has been near 100 too! I was considering this condition, I've heard of others with it, but then I wonder how I would get it so suddenly, I used to take days to burn off a pound or 2 on serious restriction, now I binge to keep a pound on!
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until the next time you see a doc. Untreated, celiac can lead to intestinal cancers and a host of other super scary stuff.
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons, but I would see a doctor ASAP. It could be hyperthyroid and your thyroid is burning out. It could be Celiacs or Crohn's disease, it can be an autoimmune disease. BUT by your being an anorexic you need TONS of protein, fat, calories etc in recovery....I would be more worried about your thyroid or addisons disease
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I'm so happy you have decided to start recovering from an ED. So brave! It sounds like your recovery may be uncovering something that anorexia was hiding, so the next step on your way to a better life is the doctor. You've been doing great work and it's time you get some extra help! All of us here applaud the hard work you've done, but it's time for a doctors appt. now!
  • missgx3
    Options
    I just want to say I'm so happy you have decided to start recovering from an ED. So brave! It sounds like your recovery may be uncovering something that anorexia was hiding, so the next step on your way to a better life is the doctor. You've been doing great work and it's time you get some extra help! All of us here applaud the hard work you've done, but it's time for a doctors appt. now!

I appreciate that so much, you have no idea! It was such an extreme challenge and it has taken quite a tole on me. I was initially happy to feel rid of the obsession and finally be eating normally again, but upon realizing I needed to eat much more just to sustain, has brought such irony. I used to dream of eating the foods that I now force down my pallet in an effort to stay as close-to-healthy as I can :(