Looking for hikers, backpackers ect....Advice?

Options
Hi all. Just looking to add some friends who are hikers, or back packers. I'm trying to increase my fitness in order to backpack further and with more weight. Right now I can do a 35lb pack for an hour or 2km....whichever comes first. Hopefully I get some reply's here. I've been training my back, shoulders, and legs and of course core muscles. But I'd love some friends who have good ideas or experience.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How far can you go without the backpack?

I used to do a 7k hike every week with nothing but water for the hike and some sort of trail-snack, jerky, trailmix etc. Depending on who was along it was sometimes half as long a hike as others (duration wise)
    Moved out of that area so haven't been able to use that trail in ages though when I get back for a visit I'll be back on it.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a month long back packing trip through Europe. My pack was 42 lbs. I averaged 10 miles per day!
    I couldnt have done that a year ago!

Amazing how I had that amount on my body.
  • oldscratch57
    Options
    my fav activity! make sure you have a good, supportive pack. i neglected that for too long. add hiking pics to your gallery, some in mine
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How far can you go without the backpack?

I used to do a 7k hike every week with nothing but water for the hike and some sort of trail-snack, jerky, trailmix etc. Depending on who was along it was sometimes half as long a hike as others (duration wise)
    Moved out of that area so haven't been able to use that trail in ages though when I get back for a visit I'll be back on it.

Without the pack I'm not really sure how far I could go. When I lived in the country, once in a blue moon I would do a 10k, but that was on a dirt pack road. Very hilly, but no obstacles. I've been concentrating on some pretty rough terrain lately. Here we are on the great canadian shield. So bush hiking involves a lot of rocks, streams, rock outcroppings. We are do a light backpacking this week just to see how far I can go without the pack. Wish me luck!
  • pooki24
    pooki24 Posts: 31
    Options
    Feel free to add me. When I backpack I'm usually carrying about 35-40lbs now that we have a 3yr old and we only go a couple miles at a time. Before that (or if the grandparents babysit!) I'm carrying 25-30lbs and we go about 8-12 miles/day depending on terrain, for a 3-day weekend.
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well.
    My suggestion like a lot of things is the principle of confusion. Carry 35 lbs one day for a bit, then carry 10 lbs the next hike for a longer distance, etc

Hydrate
    Take care of your feet
    Eat
    Use sunscreen

Joe
  • Jennaissance
    Jennaissance Posts: 212
    Options
    You can add me. I'm looking for friends with similar interests. On Sunday, I leave for a 5-day 100 mile trip. I'm hoping my pack will be 70 pounds or less. I think expectations really depend on the terrain. If you were gaining 10,000 feet during a two day trip that's a hell of a trip. Similarly, a 4 day 80 mile trip with minimal gains would be easier than the two day trip referenced before. It depends on the distance, gain, and on the weight of your pack... as well as your abilities. All these things dictate calories burned and in turn, how many you need to stay healthy for each trip.
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I'm looking for friends with similar interests. On Sunday, I leave for a 5-day 100 mile trip. I'm hoping my pack will be 70 pounds or less. I think expectations really depend on the terrain. If you were gaining 10,000 feet during a two day trip that's a hell of a trip. Similarly, a 4 day 80 mile trip with minimal gains would be easier than the two day trip referenced before. It depends on the distance, gain, and on the weight of your pack... as well as your abilities. All these things dictate calories burned and in turn, how many you need to stay healthy for each trip.

20 miles a day with 65+ pounds would put me under unless a llama is carry my load!!!
  • Jennaissance
    Options

20 miles a day with 65+ pounds would put me under unless a llama is carry my load!!!
    [/quote]

It tooks years to get there. I remember when I started I couldn't do a 6 mile day hike with a 3,500 foot gain. I live close to the mountains and we have training routes: day hikes where you gain 4,000 feet in less than four miles. I just started doing these routes until I could do the entire thing in a day no problem. I eat like crazy, stretch every hour or two and I'm sure to take my shoes off at least 3 times a day to really stretch my feet. I wear my boots at least twice a week so I stay used to them and don't get blisters. Plus, a 60 pound pack turns into a 30 pound pack after five days or so because half the weight is food. It's possible to pack lighter than I do if you do 100% freeze dried but I'd rather carry the extra pounds for extra delicious food. If you are in a place with tons of water you can save pounds not having to fill a big dromedary. When you pack for the long-haul you get to see places most people dont' see that are spectacular and that's a huge motivator to getting your butt out into the wilderness. On my recent trip, I saw more bears in one day than I've probably seen in my whole life!

Anyway, wear the shoes often so it doesn't bother you to be in them for a few days. Stretch all the time. Re-fuel frequently. Drink plenty of water. In the winter, get on the treadmill at a steep incline for an hour a day if you like to hike the climbs to stay fit for it. Stairmaster is also great for staying hiking fit. Things I would never pack without: blister bandaids, water purification, waterproof clothes, packable down jacket and paper for starting a fire with wet wood (in case you need to dry your boots).
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

I fell in love with hiking on the AT in southwest Virginia. I've only gone on day hikes, my longest was 12 miles (with quite a few hills! and a stray cow!!) so I've only ever taken a small backpack with me with the essentials. My husband is Army and they do ruck marches occasionally. The best way to get used to hiking with more weight is to add more weight and hike with it. Keep us posted, because I'd love to hear what you discover as you hike :) Feel free to add as well!