Engine 2 Diet's Rip's Big Bowl

Options
Hey guys. I've been doing really well on my weight loss journey and have tried eating vegan at least one meal a day if possible. I made a batch of Rip's Big Bowl and have been eating it with almond milk for the past three mornings. The past three days I've had horrendous stomach problems with bloating and gas pains. Has any one else had this problem? I don't know if it's the cereal or the almond milk. Help! it's the only thing I've eaten consistently the last three days so I think it has something to do with it possibly.

Kendra

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I had to Google "rip's big bowl". There is some serious fiber in there. Do you not usually take in that much fiber?
  • KendiRaeBee
    Options
    Usually I have quite a bit from fruits and veggies. Feeling kinda "stopped up" though. This is so weird.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Usually I have quite a bit from fruits and veggies. Feeling kinda "stopped up" though. This is so weird.

I'm guessing (key word is guessing) that the Big Bowl has more soluble fiber from the oats, etc. vs the insoluble fiber your digestive system is used to from the fruits and veg. It will come out, but not before wreaking bloaty havoc on your poor tummy :P
  • medicinemantoo
    Options
    I had to google it (see below).

Holy crap! I wouldn't have to eat a meal for a month if I ate this bowl. WOW!

Ingredients

* 1 banana, peeled and sliced
    * 1 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
    * 1/4 cup raw old-fashioned oats
    * 1/4 cup nut-size kernel cereal (recommended: Grape Nuts or Ezekiel)
    * 1/4 cup bite-size shredded wheat
    * 1/4 cup toasted whole grain wheat flakes and flaxseed cereal (recommended: Uncle Sam)

* 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal
    * 2 tablespoons raisins
    * 2 tablespoons walnuts
    * 1 grapefruit, halved
    * 3/4 cup milk substitute of choice

Directions
    Toss the banana, kiwifruit, oats, cereal, shredded wheat, whole grain wheat flakes, ground flaxseed, raisins, and walnuts into a bowl.

After cutting the grapefruit in half, use a small, sharp knife to remove the segments. Add the segments to the top of the bowl and squeeze in the juice. Top the bowl with milk substitute.

Cook's Note: To lower cholesterol levels even more, use 1/2 cup oats and omit 1/4 cup of either cereal.
  • Front_Runner
    Front_Runner Posts: 175
    Options
    Oh man - that is a TON of fiber and an awful lot of protein. I bet it's just too heavy and way more fiber (all in one sitting) than your system is use to. Fiber is awesome, but when I take in that amount of fiber (especially soluable fiber) - I get super full and bloated, too. Give you body time to adjust - those little bacteria in your gut are working like mad to digest all that stuff, causing all the gas. Make sure you're getting enough water (will help), try to get in a walk (movement helps expell the gas), and maybe take Gas-Ex or something with simethicone in it (it helps dissolve gas bubbles - making them smaller, thus less painful). Hope you feel better!! And no Big Bowl tomorrow! :wink:
  • KendiRaeBee
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was looking over my fiber and it is really high. Going to lay off that for a couple days! For the record, I don't eat the fruit with it. It already has enough calories in it. :). It tastes so good though!!!!
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I found that when I increased the amount of fiber I was taking in though veggies, whole grains, and legumes I experienced a lot of gas. It took a few months for my body to get use to it. From what I have heard it's pretty normal