To all the Marathon runners out there

Options
cbbn11
cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
I just started training for my first 5k Marathon at the end of Oct. My one question is about how to eat the day of the race.
The race starts at 9:30 am.
Do I do a good carb day the day before and have a protein shake for breakfast that day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I just started training for my first 5k Marathon at the end of Oct. My one question is about how to eat the day of the race.
    The race starts at 9:30 am.
    Do I do a good carb day the day before and have a protein shake for breakfast that day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP do you mean a 5k or a Marathon? Which one?
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    For a 5k (3.1 Miles) - Eat a good breakfast a few hours before the race (5:30 - 6:30 or so) You really do not need carb loading for a short distance like this.

For a Marathon (26.2 Miles), begin loading with carbs 2 days prior- clean carbs - whole grain pasta, whole wheat breads, etc. Also make sure you begin hydrating well 2 days prior. Eat a good breakfast the day of the race a few hours before and carry plenty of carbs for the race (I like gummy bears, jelly beans and honey packets... but Gu, ClifShots, etc. work just as well
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    For a 5k don't worry about nutrition that much. Do whatever is comfortable for you, and most importantly, something you have already done many times before a training run. That's the most important part. Start hydrating well before the race, too. Some people like coffee or redbull in the morning, as caffeine, for most, helps with digestion. Again, make sure it's something you have done numerous times in the past before trying it on race day :p

You have time for a training program like Couch to 5K with a few more weeks to work on race pace after you "graduate", so it's nice. Take it easy, and take notes of your training runs routine, to find something that you feel comfortable with. But no need to worry about carb loading or nutrition timing during the race itself, the distance and times don't require that.

Good luck!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I'm going to assume you mean a 5k (3.1 miles) and not a marathon (26.2 miles). I would recommend trying out a few different meals. I would do lean protein and good carbs the night prior and remember to hydrate. I would do carbs on race day...your body needs to be able to quickly breakdown the food for fuel as you race. Protein takes longer for your body to digest (which is why you feel fuller longer) and that extra effort can lead to an uncomfortable/upset stomach during the race. It will be a trial and error to find out what works best. You'll quickly learn what doesn't work! Also, you'll want to watch when you eat and by that I mean how close your meal will be to the start time of your race. For me, for a 5k, I am good with a bowl of oatmeal, agave, walnuts and some blueberries (if I have them). I eat about an hour or two prior to the race. The oatmeal gives me the carbs and the walnuts some protein. If you enjoy eggs for breakfast regularly then try them with some wheat toast before a training run and see how you feel. The training will be your test period. A word of advice...NEVER, EVER, EVER try something new on race day. That includes everything from food to fluids (sports drink) to clothing to shoes. Good luck with your training and enjoy your first race!
  • jldunn713
    jldunn713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As already stated, you will need to try things out in training to find what works the best for you. Generally though, your last meal before the race should be mostly carbs. I would not recommend a protein shake. You'll probably cramp. Go with carbs. Oatmeal is my thing, it stays with you, and bananas work wonders. And hydrate! Happy running!
  • cbbn11
    cbbn11 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I did mean I am only running 5k of this marathon. Weird tho how the marathon is in miles but the short runs are in KM.....lol
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I did mean I am only running 5k of this marathon. Weird tho how the marathon is in miles but the short runs are in KM.....lol

There are some shorter races in miles, too. I don't think I've ever run it, but there are 5 milers...and I'd love to do a 1 mile road race, someday. There are also 25k races, which is a relatively lengthy race (15.5 miles). The first ultra distance a lot of folks attempt is 100k, too.