For those of you who don't eat exercise cals back

Replies

• lmustoe
    lmustoe Posts: 19 Member
    HELP!! What the hay is TDEE??? :drinker: :ohwell:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Just wondering because a lot of people are doing a cut from TDEE and not going by the MFP plan, but MFP is still going to add those calories in.

I set my goal as a cut from my TDEE. I know my daily calorie goal, and I stick with it. I do log my exercise, but it's not very confusing to just ignore those "extra" calories.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    ^^^ very much this! Why would I want to eat back the calories I burned!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Because I'm eating at a calorie level that takes into account my daily activity, including exercise, I just change the "calories burned" to 1 when I log my exercise. I like to log it, because I like looking back at what I was doing when, when I started specific programs, etc.

This!

But a note to those who are burning below BMR could have issues down the road.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    I just remember that I can only eat X amount of calories and watch that I don't go over. Though, I think if you just added your exercise right before you complete the day that would work to.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    I log my exercise but don't eat them back. I feel that if I'm eating back the calories I've burned, why did I burn them in the first place.

^^^^ this

If I'm just going to use the fuel in my car, why fill it up in the first place?
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    I track my calories in MFP so I have an IDEA how many calories I'm burning on a weekly basis. There's that and MFP makes a pretty chart for dumb visual learners like myself.

I never eat my calories back though. Now that I'm planning my meals each day in advance, I don't really fear of "treating" myself for all of the hard work I've put in.

I also use a heart rate monitor to tell me how many calories I burn during each workout but MFP seems to be reasonably accurate within 100 cals or so (from my experience).
  • GiiaSoCrazii
    GiiaSoCrazii Posts: 66 Member
    I go by my target daily calories that MFP lists. I dont pay attention to the remaining just how much I uave consumed. I only pay attention to the calories burned to keep track of just that.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    I don't exercise for the calorie burn, I do it to keep active and make sure my heart is getting exercise and my body stronger. I record it in my diary to know that I am staying active. If I eat them back, that's fine with me, but if I'm eating my fill and I don't quite get them back...so be it.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    ^^^ very much this! Why would I want to eat back the calories I burned!
    Because it is a far smarter way to do it...but I digress...many people here think faster is better...and bigger deficits are better...good luck with that whole mindset.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    As someone who has done it both ways, I have to say it is better for ME not to eat them back. I can burn 1,000 fairly easy some days with my job (farming) and eating 3,000 calories a day teaches me nothing. It just teaches me that I can basically eat whatever I want as long as I do something, and yes I understand that is the very premises some people follow, but it doesn't work for ME.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    I eat other people's exersize calories too!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    I log my exercise but don't eat them back. I feel that if I'm eating back the calories I've burned, why did I burn them in the first place.

This. However if I've burned an insane amount like 600 cals that day, I will probably eat about 200 of them back.

However in saying that, I'm normally fine with not eating any more than I normally do on that day. But if i'm famished, I will definitely eat an additional snack.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member

^^^^ditto!!!
    I log them all & never eat them back.:)
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    I eat other people's exersize calories too!
    haahahahahahahahahah This was Great!!!!!!:laugh:
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    A lot depends on HOW MUCH you burn. Don't forget that your body burns calories during the day just to stay alive (your BMR). If you're burning 200-300 calories through exercise, then no, it doesn't make sense to eat those back. But a lot of people can burn 800-1000 calories a day working out. If your calorie goal is set to your BMR (1400, for instance) and you DON'T eat back your exercise calories, you could be at a negative net for the day. In which case, your body is going to hold on to every ounce of fat it can and you'll plateau. Happened to me for a year, until I increased my intake to my cut and cut back on my exercise. Lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks after doing that.

I now only eat my cut (1875), regardless of what MFP says my goal is. I don't log exercise on MFP, I let my Fitbit do that for me with syncing. It's been spot on as my HRM.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Why is everyone so stuck on one pound a week? You can lose 2 pounds a week safely...why wouldn't you double your weightloss in the same amount of time? My doctor wants me to lose 2 pounds a week, and approved my exercise plan. She is also someone who lost over 100 pounds in a year (103 to be exact) and has kept it off for the past 7 years. So I don't think losing 2 pounds a week is any 'short term' solution that is bound to fail.

It's not. At least it wasn't for me, when I had 30 pounds to lose.

Now that I'm about 5 pounds from being in a "normal" BMI range, continuing to attempt to lose 2 pounds a week backfires on me, so I've retargeted to 1 pound a week, and I'm back to losing weight.

The key is experimentation, the important thing is to keep an open mind, and the way to success is to accept that what is working today may not work tomorrow so you have to be willing to go back to experimentation.
  • abaka123
    abaka123 Posts: 48
    i log in all food cals and exercise bruns/per day. I like to know exact amount in a week and compare how many cals I need to burn to lose 1 pound. I eat some calories back but I eat 'healthy' cals not, say, 'pizza' or 'chip' cals... your body needs extra 'fuel' so I eat more fruit and protien on my heavy work out days. I dont think thats a back thing since my daily cal intake is only 1470. ALSO, doesnt MFP set your daily calorie intact base off of how active your are? With the initial sign up info they give you choices with how active you are, daily - low, medium, or high.....
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Why is everyone so stuck on one pound a week? You can lose 2 pounds a week safely...why wouldn't you double your weightloss in the same amount of time? My doctor wants me to lose 2 pounds a week, and approved my exercise plan. She is also someone who lost over 100 pounds in a year (103 to be exact) and has kept it off for the past 7 years. So I don't think losing 2 pounds a week is any 'short term' solution that is bound to fail.
    1 lb is easiest to stick with long term.
    I am not in a race but in this fight to win.
    Good luck to you though.
  • dottieisagoddess
    dottieisagoddess Posts: 5 Member
    I keep track of my calories through out the day. Then I log everything at the end to. I never count the calories that I earned either. Good Luck....:wink: