HRM question

Options
Okay question - my heart rate is kept low medically with atenol for my blood pressure. So when I wear my HRM it says I burn way way less calories then what is listed on MFP. So my question is, is my HRM really correctly giving me my calories burned? I mean I can be walking and going up a hill and pushing it hard like I can barely lift my fit and my heart rate barely gets to 115. So my other question is where do I set the best burn zone? Ugh, this is complicated.

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have a chest strap?

When I first started wearing my HRM (Polar FT4 with chest strap) my calories burned was way less that what MFP said it was. Since going by my HRM I have been losing steadily which is better than I had using MFP's calculations. That being said, I don't know exactly how the medication you take will affect this reading. If you are concerned you can ask your pharmacist or doctor otherwise I recommend you go by what your HRM says you are burning.
  • amba924
    amba924 Posts: 2
    Options
    The answer is no your hrm is not giving you the correct calories burned. I would think your better off using a online activity calculator using speed and time of activity. It wont be 100 percent but it might be closer.

As for the best zone I would research the Borg scale of perceived execration. It's the scale medical professionals use calculate intensity for patients just like you. You should talk to your doctor about your safe level of execration based on your medical condition. If you google Borg perceived execration you can get a lot of information,

Good luck!
  • Medea81
    Medea81 Posts: 69
    Options
    just coming from a pharmacy tech... does your doctor know you have started exercising regularly? if so, he may lower your dose of atenolol or stop it altogether to see where you blood pressure is now that you are active. Once you have been steadily active and losing weight your BP and HR should drop to the point you shouldn't need your medication anymore. But of course, only do this with your doctors approval. (also depends on why you need the atenolol for HR... do you have a heart problem?)
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. No, no heart issues, just high blood pressure. My doc knows I am exercising I seen him last on May 17 and have another apt on July 17 to check my a1c levels to see if I have managed to drop them. I was diagnosed May 17 with pre-diabetes and told I can reverse it if I lose 40lbs. well I don't think just losing weight will reverse it, I have to change how I eat also.

As for the HRM if I go by what it says I only burned 257 calories in the pool last night doing 2 hours of walking and playing pool volleyball. If I use MFP it says I should have burned 700+ calories. I know I drink enough water because my urine is clear, and I have lost .9 lbs since yesterday and I have been losing this much just about every night since last thursday when I started pool time. I am eating lots well over my 1640 calorie intake that I allow myself a day. My HRM is the polar one with the chest strap.