How do you use your chia seeds?

Options
misslynn23
misslynn23 Posts: 31 Member
I mix them in my yogurt and also in whatever I am drinking.

Does anyone have any recipes they can share? Im curious about the "pudding" and also the fresca drinks.

Replies

• shaycg21
    shaycg21 Posts: 36
    Options
    I just started mine this week. I go ahead and add them to the water the night before. Today I put them in my eggs I had for breakfast and I used one tablespoon in addition to 2T of salad dressing on my salad. I can not wait to read what others do.
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    a week ago i started using chia seeds in Overnight Oats in a Jar.

Here is the Recipe for anyone who wants to try it

1/4 cup Quick Oats
    1/4 of a medium banana sliced
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 tsp chia seeds
    5 drops stevia

Put all ingredients into a pint jar.
    after closing the jar shake it to mix everything together
    add crunchy toppings if you want such as nuts, or granola right before eating it the next day.
  • valeriek14
    Options
    bump-curious to see what others say too. Also where can you find chia seeds, only online? Would love to make some overnight oats!
  • valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I put them in my applesauce
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options
    I use Chia seeds when I bake and have made banana, apple and cinnamon bread which is delicious!!

http://www.healthyfoodguide.com.au/recipes/2011/march/banana-apple-cinnamon-bread-with-chia-seeds

I tried the pudding with coconut milk, honey and a mashed banana but it wasn't a 'pudding' to me and I wouldn't do it again.

You can add Chia seeds to anything!
  • misslynn23
    misslynn23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas. Ill have to try the overnight oats, they sound delish!

valeriek14: I bought mine at Whole Foods grocery store.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    on one of those clay heads. There's an Obama one now.
  • Moviedust
    Moviedust Posts: 110
    Options
    bump
  • vkahlenberg
    vkahlenberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

I do the refrigerator oats, too... love it, but I alter the recipes above to sweeten with stevia. Yum! Now instead of going to bed, I'm going to whip up a batch for tomorrow's breakfast.
  • katealicefield
    Options
    I put them in my morning smoothie (post-gym workout). Great eaten straight away (while it's still pink), or I also make it the night before, keep it in the fridge and eat on my way to work (although the mixture oxidises with the kale and goes green!). I like the crunch of teh chia seeds, but you can soak them in water (store in teh fridge) and add them soaked instead (they then have a jelly consistency).

Recipe:

1 cup frozen raspberries
    1 cup (250ml) organic almond milk
    small bunch of (raw) kale leaves
    dash of psyllium husks
    1 dessert spoom of chia seeds
    15g of organic protein powder (65 cal)
    +/- 1 banana

With the banana - 324 calories (0r 219 without)
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    LOVE ch-ch-ch-chia! I am usually adding them to my drinks.. water or iced tea (excellent in Tazo Passion tea). But I had some chia pudding made with coconut milk that was delish. I also have it in my yogurt or my smoothies sometimes.. but have to let it sit for a couple minutes since I like them best when they have gelled a bit. There are recipes all over the place on the web.
  • smdelzer
    smdelzer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of them before talking to you about them yesterday, and now I'm doing research and am very interested. I just wish a serving wasn't 137 calories, but if it helps my cravings, along with other positive benefits, then it will be worth it. Thanks!
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Definitely put them in my oatmeal -- refrigerator or otherwise, and I'd put them in yogurt as well. but also I've been tossing some into sauces and soups I've made recently. It's not exactly a substitute for cornstarch or other thickeners, but it does thicken it a little, and it doesn't add any flavor to it all, just nutrients, which makes me feel good at the very least.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i saw this recipe on a blog and made it! i think i need to add more oats because i didn't fill me up! but you can play around and add different fruits/nuts. i also added some plain yogurt or greek yogurt!
    a week ago i started using chia seeds in Overnight Oats in a Jar.

Here is the Recipe for anyone who wants to try it

1/4 cup Quick Oats
    1/4 of a medium banana sliced
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 tsp chia seeds
    5 drops stevia

Put all ingredients into a pint jar.
    after closing the jar shake it to mix everything together
    add crunchy toppings if you want such as nuts, or granola right before eating it the next day.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I just ordered my chia seeds and I cant wait to try these recipes!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    <insert joke about feeding your chia pet here> :laugh:
  • Fairieluv77
    Options
    Excellent post! Thanks for the recipes. I've been wanting to try Overnight Oats.
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    Options
    Here's a recipe I've used a bunch of times:

http://www.choosingraw.com/basic-chia-seed-pudding/

I also put in my overnight oats with yogurt, comes out delicious!
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's now carries packages of Chia Seeds, I saw them there last week. Whole Foods sells them in the bulk section, buy as much as you want.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I use them in overnight oats. I just stick oats, milk/yogurt, chia seeds, and either banana slices or protein powder in the fridge overnight. The chia seeds thickens it up really well.