Depression?

Options
Good Morning,
I just wanted to get some feedback and see if I am not the only one with this problem........
This weekened was horrible for eating...I mean I think I was in the "how much can you eat" Olympics.....Now, I realize I am doing it- But I just didn't care. I'm having a difficult time as to why I do this. Depression? Loneliness? Unhappiness? I don't know.
My life is pretty great. All the main points are in check- beside love-But I'm not really interested at the moment for that emotion anyways.
I just don't understand why I suddenly become a hermit and a pig on the weekends. Friends call, even turned down two date.....Just not sure.

Some feedback would be much appreciated......

Thank you guys.

Replies

• Doina_Smecicas
    Doina_Smecicas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I just wanted to get some feedback and see if I am not the only one with this problem........
    This weekened was horrible for eating...I mean I think I was in the "how much can you eat" Olympics.....Now, I realize I am doing it- But I just didn't care. I'm having a difficult time as to why I do this. Depression? Loneliness? Unhappiness? I don't know.
    My life is pretty great. All the main points are in check- beside love-But I'm not really interested at the moment for that emotion anyways.
    I just don't understand why I suddenly become a hermit and a pig on the weekends. Friends call, even turned down two date.....Just not sure.

Some feedback would be much appreciated......

Thank you guys.
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There's a book I thing you'd be interested in reading... Captivating is the name of the book. I'll double check the author. It totally changed my way of thinking, as a woman! It's wonderful. I have a circle of friends and we all refer back to that book when we are on an emotional roller coaster. Check it out!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I had the same problem...still don't know why, but i feel i must have been over-eating intentionally for a reason
    Everything was fine until I had my 2nd baby (I am a SAHM)
    After my 2nd, I just couldn't loose the weight and began to eat more and more (buying/hiding food..eating until I was stuffed)
    I think lost of it had to do with boredom, feeling alone, sad, sleep deprived, depressed....
    I tried for 2 yrs to loose the weight but couldn't stick to it for more than 2 days
    I came to this site a few months ago and started using the food journal and everything started to turn around
    It was SOOOO hard to kick old habits and not over-eat for the first few weeks
    BUT now, it seems like second nature and I can't imagine stuffing myself with food (doesn't make any sense)
    I know how easy it is to fall off the wagon and am hoping I can stick with my healthy eating habits for life..I can even eat sweets in moderation
    Good news is I am down 23 pounds

GOOD LUCK!
    Kim
  • ingsink
    ingsink Posts: 2
    Options
    I'll echo the book suggestion. Captivating is by Staci Eldridge. You can find it at you local library or any major book store in the inspirational section.

I'm glad though that you know your feeding something other than your hunger. Thats half the battle. Now, for me at least, its just a learning process. How do I handle my struggles in a healthy way? Eating well has already helped me stablize.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Wow...I thought I was the only one. I did realize though, at least for me...is that I'm SOOO busy during the week, and SUCH an extrovert with people non-stop, that on the weekend, I just needed some time for myself. Eating..was a comfort there. Now...I started switching my bordem on the weekends, to that, when I feel bored, or anxious (I get anxious alot, used to be on Zoloft for it but weaned myself of) I tell myself to work out. Then, I have that in my mind...and it kinda deters the eating because "I'm going to work out." Hope maybe 1 of these will help...it's all in the mind, the brain has a lot of power.
  • Doina_Smecicas
    Doina_Smecicas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I will definately check out that book. It's amazing how extreme on the balance scale people can be. As Kristinkoffa mentioned, during the week I am very busy. Gym 4 times, meeting with friends for coffee or a glass of wine.
    Then suddenly on the weekends I wake up and watch movies from 8am to 9pm Sat and Sun this weekend. Of course when you watch movies, it feels as if your mouth should be chomping on something then you just don't care what goes in it........Maybe its the weather? hahah.....
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    If this is a big change for you and you feel like you are feeling depressed, then it might not hurt to discuss it with your doctor.

Other things to look out for are changes in your sleeping and eatting habits.

You doctor can discuss options with you, but there are lots of ways to treat depression if it turns out that is what is going on.
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OH MAN I am the same way, I have a job where I'm around people and people are always looking at me, I start the weekend with the best intentions of getting tons of stuff done and working out and seeing people I've missed during the week ,and ... half the time I just drop off the radar and stay in bed and eat and watch TV like a total slob !!

I HAVE been better at just getting out and starting the day off right by going to Saturday/Sunday morning spin class and then running directly to all my errands because once I go home ... it's ALL OVER !! I'm napping, sleeping, watching the game, and NO ONE CAN FIND ME! And I am always trying to worm my way out of things I told people I'd do. So if I just force myself out of the house on Saturday ... I usually at least get a workout in and SOME stuff done before the endorphins wear off and I fall into bed haha!! And here I thought I was the only one. When you're single I guess there's no accountability and you can just reward reward reward yourself for all the extroverted toll the week has taken on you !! I guess I don't respect my own self enough to hold MYSELF accountable (I will be so disapointed in myself if I don't get on the ball) after a week of pleasing everyone else !!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I think we all feel down from time to time, not really knowing why.
    Since starting MFP back in February, I've eaten like a mad woman several times :sick: . 5 days to be exact. :grumble: On all of those 5 days, I was feeling down or tired. :sad: :yawn: The good news is I didn't let it take over and I was back on track the next day.:bigsmile: I've lost over 20lbs since starting so I guess I'm doing okay.

Stay strong girl and personally I think you are normal. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You're a beautiful young woman...take the time you need to care for yourself...I'm retired now but I went through the same thing on the weekends for awhile...that's how I put on the weight...we have about the same weightloss goals and I know this new lifestyle takes practice just like anything else...I was blowing it on the weekends eating with my boyfriend and his daughter for awhile untill I got disgusted with myself.

Also, you may enjoy taking up a hobby to get yourself out on the weekends...I would like to encourage you to try bellydance...it is an excellent toning and cardio workout...it is a very enjoyable feminine artform and a great way to network with other women.

Hang in there and don't beat yourself up over blowing it on the weekends...the future always holds promise and ofcourse accept yourself while you are living in the present and enjoy the journey!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    For me weekends are hard both for food, but also for some other old addictions I have that I'd prefer not to discuss :(

Its the boredom factor... idle hands are the devil's playground. I've found myself much less likely to scarf down a bunch of food, or call any people I shouldn't be calling, so long as I keep myself occupied.