How many calories does an Insanity workout burn?

Options
I'm trying to log my exercise and am not sure what to put my mornings insanity workouts down as..
Initially the closest thing I found was Jumping Jacks (vigorous) which listed as 370 odd calories for 40 minutes. But then I spotted Aerobics (high Impact) which is listed as 271 for the same amount of time.

Does anyone know what an accurate amount would be?

Thank you!

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I think most people who've done Insanity would recommend getting a heart rate monitor.
  • waveindigo
    waveindigo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, a heart rate monitor would be the most accurate way of measuring, but until I get one it would be nice to have a fairly accurate amount to log
  • daddyzgrrl28
    Options
    I think most people who've done Insanity would recommend getting a heart rate monitor.

I agree. A HRM is a great investment. Calories burned will vary from person to person based on weight and intensity. For me, I generally burn at least 10 calories per minute doing insanity. A friend of mine who is heavier burns up to as much as 16 calories per minute. It varies.
  • 110lbs50kgs
    Options
    You definitely need a heart rate monitor to know for sure.
  • waveindigo
    waveindigo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You definitely need a heart rate monitor to know for sure.

Yes, thats true.. but also true of aerobics, dancing, even walking. I guess I'd just like a rough idea so that I know I'm not way off in calculating calories.
  • Crissy_jo
    Crissy_jo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just did one of the Insanity DVD's and finally wore my heart rate monitor, I only burned 250 calories for a 40 minute workout. Rather disappointed in that number. I could have burned 2x that if I had just gone for a 40 minute run.
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    When I did it, I was burning like 400-500 calories for 40 minutes according to my HRM. However, I was terribly out of shape and my heart rate was up around 180 the whole time. I felt like death for a couple of weeks and stopped. Hopefully once I get in better shape, I can do it again.
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    depending on your height and current weight, the 370 burned could be close. Oh course it's going to be different for everyone, but I burn anywhere from 350-475 doing Insanity depending on which of the workouts I do. You're right in that range so you SHOULD be safe to use that number until you get a HRM. Better than overestimating on the number
  • cmkelly31
    Options
    If there is a calestenics (sp) drop down, you will get closer to the mark. It's about 460-500 cals but really depends on your weight.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    For the first month of insanity, I burned between 350-410 calories - it really depended on how hard I pushed myself.
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

First of all, I'm sorry for bumping an old topic :)

I still have few days until I get HRM ( It's being shipped) and I really wanna start insanity before that, so I was wondering are there any women about my height and weight (5'5.5" and 133.5Lbs) who can share what their HRM had to say about an average calorie burn for insanity workouts.

I would be very grateful for any info :)
  • Crissy_jo
    Crissy_jo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I posted earlier about only burning 250 calories during a 40 minute workout. BTW, I did the whole workout, no rests other than if they told you to rest. I am 5'9" and weigh around 145 lbs.
  • JenniferBrew12
    Options
    I have a Garmin forrunner110 HR monitor. I would have to select "indoor use" as there are no satellite being located inside. So while it would still tell me my HR for the duration for the work out...I have looked on line after plugging in my workout- but cant find anywhere where it will tell me calories burned. I am fairly certain that if no mileage is being covered that it doesn't track calories as the calories are based on distance and speed (and HR). Does anyone have this type of HRM and know of a way of tracking calories indoors?
  • abickford82
    Options
    Depends on the intensity you put into it.

I have a BodyMedia Fit armband (like a fitbit) - highly recommend it. Expensive, but IMO worth every penny invested.
  • gabeaida
    Options
    I used the ZUMBA default as an estimate for 30 mins workout
    I will create a INSANITY workout for the database and base it on about 300 calories per 30 minutes. It is an estimate like in any cardio workout and main thing for Myfitness pal is the FOOD entry part anyway. Cardio just helps in burning more calories we eat and some that we store.
  • _Fly_
    _Fly_ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There is no one answer to your question. Calories burned depend on how hard each individual pushes during each workout session, their age, height, weight, general health conditions, etc. I'd recommend investing into a heart rate monitor, it's really awesome and motives me each time I workout to push harder. Good luck!