Not exercising for few days, and overall result

Options
Hi all,

I have monthly period cramp, and it makes me not able to exercise for few days (usually 3 days). Currently am doing strenght training 3 times a week (monday, wednesday, friday) to prevent loose skin and tight up my chest muscle.
Is it gonna affect overall result of strrength training if I there's a lag more than 3 days every month?

thanks.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    3 days will not negatively effect cardio or strength training. 3 days is a healthy rest period between strength workouts if you're effectively taxing your muscles, and could be beneficial.
  • healthyhawaii
    Options
    In some schools of yoga thought, women should refrain from all strenuous activity during menstruation. I've even read they shouldn't carry their kids! While that might be a bit extreme, I don't practice or exercise at all on the days of full bleed, and I treat this as a period of rest, reflection, and recovery. When I resume activity, my body actually seems to perform better, and I'm more mentally prepared to restart. Also, knowing that those are my "days off" each month, it gives me something to look forward to during an otherwise only-uncomfortable time, and I can fully embrace pampering my body.

I'm just aware to be mindful of my diet since I am less active, avoiding sugars, alcohol, and caffeine, since my body doesn't need stimulation. Also, I am sure to consume enough protein, fiber, nutrients, and lots of water to support my body while it "cleanses" itself.

As for the technical answer to your question - what would happen after 3 or so days of not exercising - not much. Detraining takes longer to occur than that, so when you know your period is on its way, do your hardest workouts that week. My training goes from most easy training to most difficult right before menstruation, then rest.

HTH!!