Calories & Confusion

Options
2»

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    OK, the Fitbit estimate would already include exercise, as would the calculation that was using moderately active. So in that case, eating back exercise calories would be double dipping.

Also, meal timing doesn't matter. 24 hour totals matter, timing doesn't. Old myth.

The fitbit is not estimating my calories b/c I set it to not estimate them. It only records the calories I burn each day and gives me more calories to consume on days I burn more calories.

I think what tigersword is calling the Fitbit "estimating" is what you're calling the Fitbit "recording". Both are sort of right. It is all an estimate, even while you're wearing it. But there is some weird setting in the Fitbit food plan that says for it to use your past burns to estimate today's intake goal (not today's burn), or something. So in that regard you may have told the Fitbit not to 'estimate'. But everything it does is an estimate. Or maybe you were referring to 'exercise' as your weights sessions? Not sure. :smile:
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    The Fitbit will only give you a calorie adjustment when you are estimated to burn more than you estimated according to MFP. This number can be found in My Home-Goals on the right hand side of the page (Calories burned during normal daily activity). If you are set to sedentary this number is really low and you will constantly be getting a Fitbit adjustment because you are buring more than that. If you change your activity level to what you actually burn, you will notice very few Fitbit adjustments. This is not double-dipping. The Fitbit/MFP connection is actually very smart.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For example:
    Yesterday I ate 223 calories for breakfast, 724 calories for lunch, 85 calories for an afternoon snack, 400 calories for dinner, and 260 calories as an evening snack. That adds up to 1692 calories consumed.

I burned 377 calories in 35 minutes at the gym, and fitbit adjusted my daily calories by 223 calories b/c I have it set as sedentary and I wasn't sedentary yesterday. That adds up to 600 calories from acitivity (not being sedentarty) yesterday.

So MFP takes the 1692 calories I ate and subtracts the 600 activity calories I earned and tells me my net calories for the day were 1092 and it wanted me to have a net calorie goal of 1320, so therefore I am under what MFP and fitbit want me to eat for the day, even though I ate 1692 calories.

i get your point,basically you eat back the 377 burn from excercise and not eat the 223 gained through daily activity.I have one too,an my trainer at the gym also gave me the same logic,eat back your rmr+workout calories,whatever deficit you are trying to make has to be out of the daily activity.if you are eating back your 223 from daily activity that means you are eating maintenance.ie no loss no gain.Good luck.
  • trianglgrl
    trianglgrl Posts: 24
    Options
    The Fitbit will only give you a calorie adjustment when you are estimated to burn more than you estimated according to MFP. This number can be found in My Home-Goals on the right hand side of the page (Calories burned during normal daily activity). If you are set to sedentary this number is really low and you will constantly be getting a Fitbit adjustment because you are buring more than that. If you change your activity level to what you actually burn, you will notice very few Fitbit adjustments. This is not double-dipping. The Fitbit/MFP connection is actually very smart.

My activity changes from day to day, that is why I set myself at sedentary. I am a chemist and work at a lab bench - some days I stand all day and barely have a chance to sit down at all... other days are slower and I'm doing more paperwork (or in meetings) and not standing as much. It honestly all depends on the day. Plus, on weekends, or days off from work, I don't stand all day, so I am not as active. On days I am more active, or burn more calories, I can eat more than on days I burn less calories.